This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
jmclaughlin wrote: May 25th, 2024, 11:30 pm What…was…Jackson ….thinking?
Should have been yanked after the first walk in the inning.
After back to back walks, I would say.

The hit Dow the line looked foul to me at first glance.

Letting McLaughlin start the at/bat to Myers was befuddling. Kid was clearly done. Body language was awful, looked scared.
jmclaughlin, phoenix liked this
By jmclaughlin
Perspective is, this team is on fumes with pitching. Extra innings makes this a really bad scenario for the Flames to win tomorrow.

Sweats play up the middle was incredible
LU 57 liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Ever since that inning, they’re afraid to swing at pitches that are right down the middle.

Jackson took the air right out of this team.
By Ill flame
cruzan_flame13 wrote: May 26th, 2024, 12:44 am
jmclaughlin wrote: May 26th, 2024, 12:23 am Great tourney run. Young team with a lot to build on.
Didn't they win? I was notified that Liberty had won :dontgetit
Nope had them on the ropes several times and just couldn't finish the job. Ended up losing in the bottom of the 10th. There's no way either team was going to beat Dallas Baptist after all of that though.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: May 26th, 2024, 12:44 am
jmclaughlin wrote: May 26th, 2024, 12:23 am Great tourney run. Young team with a lot to build on.
Didn't they win? I was notified that Liberty had won :dontgetit
I woke up with the notification on my phone that LU won 6-5. Extremely disappointing to find it was incorrect. That’s a pretty big goof for the people running the app
By AATL
Tough season and tough way to end it. I'm not sure the team could have achieved much more in the tourney with the pitching situation, but it was fun to watch them at least give the hosts a scare.

This was a young team. Wish we had another year with Sweatt, but the future is bright and it's absolutely reasonable to think they'll be competitive next year if they can address some pitching needs and get Horn healthy. Even with the significant roster turnover and coaching turnover, the bats took a nice step forward this year and should only continue improving with another year of development. I think there's a lot to look forward to next year.
flamehunter liked this
By ECC29
jmclaughlin wrote: May 25th, 2024, 11:30 pm What…was…Jackson ….thinking?
Should have been yanked after the first walk in the inning.
This is exactly what I have been saying for a good while. Jackson does this kind of decisions that kills the team so many times over the years. Leaving pitchers longer than they ought to and killing the potential of winning. Also, other poor decisions not worthy of D1 level competition.
JK37 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I think we all knew DBU was almost guaranteed to win today regardless of who they were playing because of the pitching situation. Well, the LT starter didn’t even get an out and they ended up using 3 pitchers in the first inning alone. DBU is up 16-8 in the 7th.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
This is not about a coach(s), but a program. We had better baseball teams and talent in the 70's and 80's, than we do now. I wonder why? Same can be said, to a much lesser extent, for m and w basketball. Comparing us to ORU somewhat.
flamehunter liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Much like DBU today, baseball was our primary sport back in those days. Al the AD made sure that his baseball squad was well equipped and was the only DI program on campus until the Mid '80s. DBU puts nearly all of their resources into baseball and it continues to pay dividends just like it has for decades. But the rest of their athletics are not even a blip on the radar for students on their campus.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: May 27th, 2024, 11:35 am Much like DBU today, baseball was our primary sport back in those days. Al the AD made sure that his baseball squad was well equipped and was the only DI program on campus until the Mid '80s. DBU puts nearly all of their resources into baseball and it continues to pay dividends just like it has for decades. But the rest of their athletics are not even a blip on the radar for students on their campus.
Well, being there in the 70's and being very close to all the major programs, until the 90"s, I have to strongly disagree. Baseball was on par with the other sports regarding facilities, equipment, etc. Baseball however, has never, ever, been the primary sport at LU. Crowds were sparse, while the MBB team would almost fill the Vines Center, even on weeknights.
LU football was the first primary sport. When Julius and Peter came in, we became a basketball school a few years. We slowly came back to being a football school and have never looked back.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I recall when lights were first installed at the old baseball stadium (where softball stadium is now). The final game played without lights drew 37 fans. The first game under the lights drew 1700 if my memory is correct,
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, wasn't the original baseball field (not a stadium) where the parking garage is now? I remember recognizing and meeting Al Bumbry there when his son played for VT.

As part of the larger theme of religious studies p[…]

…”your old men will dream dreams, you[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

All of this is why I just can’t believe […]

Prayers please

Apparently there's someone that's looking at it to[…]