Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Are there still people here that believe staying Independent as opposed to joining CUSA would have been a better move? From a total athletics perspective, the move to CUSA was hands down the best decision to make. No all of our sports are on the same level and we can actually lay claim to 'competing at the highest level'. If we stayed Independent we would be left out of any future realignment, we'd continue to get crap bowl games (regardless of our record) and we'd still be competing against way lesser competition in virtually every other sport. I get it... the football schedule isn't as difficult, and not as eye grabbing, but there's room for improvement now in future years and I'd much rather be dealing with that than all of the negatives associated with staying Independent.
TH Spangler, LUOrange, JK37 and 2 others liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Humble_Opinion wrote: May 16th, 2024, 12:09 pm Are there still people here that believe staying Independent as opposed to joining CUSA would have been a better move? From a total athletics perspective, the move to CUSA was hands down the best decision to make. No all of our sports are on the same level and we can actually lay claim to 'competing at the highest level'. If we stayed Independent we would be left out of any future realignment, we'd continue to get crap bowl games (regardless of our record) and we'd still be competing against way lesser competition in virtually every other sport. I get it... the football schedule isn't as difficult, and not as eye grabbing, but there's room for improvement now in future years and I'd much rather be dealing with that than all of the negatives associated with staying Independent.
Which other conference in the future do you believe will take us? Realistically speaking? I really would like to know your perspective on this. AAC? That's the most likely option and they already made it clear that they want schools with big markets. The SUN Belt is a no for obvious reasons. So who? We'd likely receive the similar bowls as we do now. Olympic sports are the only benefit somewhat, but it's football that controls it all. Just a thought.
By LUOrange
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: May 16th, 2024, 12:04 am
cruzan_flame13 wrote: May 15th, 2024, 9:15 pm
LUOrange wrote: May 15th, 2024, 8:40 pm
I'm not sure that we want to ba associated with schools that cater to terrorists anti-Semites. :D
Claimed descendants of Ashkenaz are Shemites/Semites :dontgetit. Anyways, there's likely going to be open spots for P5 schools that are closer geographically when the time comes.
If we Eliminate all the schools that had protests, not too many left to play...as for “when the time comes” we are in 11th hour from a football schedule perspective, but I imagine something is already penciled in and waiting on announcement. Go play the most radical P5’s and beat em, makes it even sweeter. Side note : ACC hasn’t said “don’t go play an Independent on the road” ...they just don’t want to be associated as losing to a G5. UConn ( same team that beat LU a season ago ) has an ACC coming to their house for next several years. Time will tell if CUSA vs Independent was worth the “perception” for LU. Year 1 - Fiesta Bowl appearance ( and slaughter ) along with the schedule ridicule - still trumps Independent and 23 pre CUSA Independent schedule. If we make a playoff this year and “somewhat” compete, then no question CUSA was good move short term.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/uconn/
I thought it was somewhat obvious that I was being facetious, since other fanbases doesn't want to play us because of our Christianity. However, Northwestern is different from the rest of the schools in that they caved into the demands of the anti-Semitic losers and said that they'd divest from Israeli associations, etc. among other demands. That said, I'm of the mindset that we should play anybody & everybody most of the time, especially with regards to the P5. An institutions beliefs and practices don't concern me when it comes to an athletic contests. I don't buy the association argument that many use to exclude us or anyone.
By LUOrange
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: May 16th, 2024, 12:58 pm
Humble_Opinion wrote: May 16th, 2024, 12:09 pm Are there still people here that believe staying Independent as opposed to joining CUSA would have been a better move? From a total athletics perspective, the move to CUSA was hands down the best decision to make. No all of our sports are on the same level and we can actually lay claim to 'competing at the highest level'. If we stayed Independent we would be left out of any future realignment, we'd continue to get crap bowl games (regardless of our record) and we'd still be competing against way lesser competition in virtually every other sport. I get it... the football schedule isn't as difficult, and not as eye grabbing, but there's room for improvement now in future years and I'd much rather be dealing with that than all of the negatives associated with staying Independent.
Which other conference in the future do you believe will take us? Realistically speaking? I really would like to know your perspective on this. AAC? That's the most likely option and they already made it clear that they want schools with big markets. The SUN Belt is a no for obvious reasons. So who? We'd likely receive the similar bowls as we do now. Olympic sports are the only benefit somewhat, but it's football that controls it all. Just a thought.
IMO, there are 4 options once the next major round of musical chairs are done:
1. An invite to a severely depleted & rebuilt ACC- our best option.
2. An invite to a severely depleted & rebuilt AAC. Although I can also see the AAC going away completely.
3. A regrouping and reorganization of the what's left of the AAC, MWC and possibly include the SBC.
4. Absolutely nothing.
By AATL
LUOrange wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote: May 16th, 2024, 12:58 pm
IMO, there are 4 options once the next major round of musical chairs are done:
1. An invite to a severely depleted & rebuilt ACC- our best option.
2. An invite to a severely depleted & rebuilt AAC. Although I can also see the AAC going away completely.
3. A regrouping and reorganization of the what's left of the AAC, MWC and possibly include the SBC.
4. Absolutely nothing.
I don't think the next round of realignment will be a traditional one. There's plenty undecided and/or sitting in the court system at the moment, but if any of the schools will pay players a minimum./maximum of $n million a year comes to pass, it will quickly separate the haves from the have nots.

I think this is the closest we've been to seeing conferences not named the SEC or B1G blow up completely and reshuffle into some version that makes more sense in a completely new landscape.
LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: May 16th, 2024, 2:15 pm
tyndal23 wrote: May 16th, 2024, 12:04 am
cruzan_flame13 wrote: May 15th, 2024, 9:15 pm

Claimed descendants of Ashkenaz are Shemites/Semites :dontgetit. Anyways, there's likely going to be open spots for P5 schools that are closer geographically when the time comes.
If we Eliminate all the schools that had protests, not too many left to play...as for “when the time comes” we are in 11th hour from a football schedule perspective, but I imagine something is already penciled in and waiting on announcement. Go play the most radical P5’s and beat em, makes it even sweeter. Side note : ACC hasn’t said “don’t go play an Independent on the road” ...they just don’t want to be associated as losing to a G5. UConn ( same team that beat LU a season ago ) has an ACC coming to their house for next several years. Time will tell if CUSA vs Independent was worth the “perception” for LU. Year 1 - Fiesta Bowl appearance ( and slaughter ) along with the schedule ridicule - still trumps Independent and 23 pre CUSA Independent schedule. If we make a playoff this year and “somewhat” compete, then no question CUSA was good move short term.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/uconn/
I thought it was somewhat obvious that I was being facetious, since other fanbases doesn't want to play us because of our Christianity. However, Northwestern is different from the rest of the schools in that they caved into the demands of the anti-Semitic losers and said that they'd divest from Israeli associations, etc. among other demands. That said, I'm of the mindset that we should play anybody & everybody most of the time, especially with regards to the P5. An institutions beliefs and practices don't concern me when it comes to an athletic contests. I don't buy the association argument that many use to exclude us or anyone.
They caved. Maybe because they receive more Qatar $$$$. Seems many U's are for sale.
LUOrange liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Did Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Qatar join the $EC? I must have missed it.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: May 16th, 2024, 6:11 pm Did Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Qatar join the $EC? I must have missed it.
LIV 1st, next they buy the SEC :lol:

"Qatar contributing donations totaling $4.7 billion to universities in the United States."
By cruzan_flame13
TH Spangler wrote: May 16th, 2024, 6:26 pm
jbock13 wrote: May 16th, 2024, 6:11 pm Did Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Qatar join the $EC? I must have missed it.
LIV 1st, next they buy the SEC :lol:

"Qatar contributing donations totaling $4.7 billion to universities in the United States."
Universities have always been a business, so nothing is new. Who do you think established the U.S. General Education Board? :lol

Wonder if Wake Forest have any openings?
LUOrange liked this
By sstaedtler
The amount of P4 teams left to schedule is small.

Here are some available ones for 2025:

2025 - SMU, Utah, Northwestern, BYU, Stanford. Unlikely (Rutgers, South Carolina)
2026 -SMU, Stanford, California, Arizona, Baylor, Washington, Virginia, Wake Forest

BYU could actually do a home and home. It's possible that UMass and Army drop a few P5's and more games become available. Oregon St and Wash St could have a few openings, but are they even a P5 anymore? Some were saying we are trying to reduce travel because we are paying more for it in CUSA.

If a P4 becomes impossible in 2025 and 2026, here are some home and homes we could do with decent G5's:

Appalachian State, UTSA, Marshall, FAU
Election 2022 and 2024

All of this is why I just can’t believe […]

Prayers please

Apparently there's someone that's looking at it to[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazetten[…]

2025 Recruiting Discussion

It's good to see us bringing in some quality recru[…]