This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Yeah I mean that's the same list that we've all heard. No new names really. Im still hoping for Jackson and Sykes, especially if that's the final list
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Yeah I mean that's the same list that we've all heard. No new names really. Im still hoping for Jackson and Sykes, especially if that's the final list
We are only hiring a HC I suppose JB could make a couple of suggestions for assistants, but I doubt he would make the hire contingent on something like that
By Jonathan Carone
There have been others who have either expressed interest or we expressed interest to them. Coaches at UNCG, Army, Tennessee Tech, and Samford are names I heard where there was interest but it stopped there.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
yeah everything you said is true.. While maybe he's a great fit, his 40% career record in college doesn't excite me and taking a risk with new staff at liberty is something I rather not do then again maybe Juco is like d1, I don't know.
Last edited by ballah09 on July 15th, 2016, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
If it's true that Jr forced jbs hand then he's in a tough spot. Toman, while many of us including me felt like he had taken us as far as he could, never had a losing season, even in the old stadium. You have to make a hire that is perceived as a step up from toman and it would be hard to argue any of those guys are other than possibly Jackson. Oldflame, I'm not proposing that JB require Jackson to hire Sykes. Just hoping that if he's the guy that Sykes would be on staff.
By LUDad
olldflame wrote:
Chippy wrote:I may have missed this but I don't hear Tony Beasly's name being mentioned. I guess he was not being considered and/or doesn't want to give up his day job.
Tony is being treated for cancer, but I believe he is still coaching 3b for the Rangers Probably not the best time to change career path for him Actually, if he can get past this, I think he still has a shot at being a ML manager
Nice story showing how Beasly is handling his cancer...

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/beasl ... 08191.html
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sid Bream would be good coach. But I not sure of his recruiting skills.

LU should be one of best jobs in the nation this side of Power 5 conferences.
By LUDad
I think one needs to consider continuity. Whoever, the coach is, they will have a much easier path to the Regionals every year with CCU gone. Could easily get a run going that builds the resume quickly. Who would be more appt to cash in rather than staying for the long haul? Everything even, I would go with an Alumni.
Last edited by LUDad on July 15th, 2016, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
For those of you keeping score at home, JT was let go on Friday, June 24, which was exactly 3 weeks ago. :fineprint
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:For those of you keeping score at home, JT was let go on Friday, June 24, which was exactly 3 weeks ago. :fineprint
That sort of puts things in perspective. I was thinking it was longer. I will pause my critique for another week
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:3 weeks in Lynchburg. 4 weeks WV time.
To pull a quasi BJ .... I've had so much going on the last 3 weeks it seems like 6
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Do you need to take a break from the board?
No but I was staying with my parents last week (ok it was at their lake place in Indiana)
Last edited by Purple Haize on July 15th, 2016, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
flameshaw wrote:There have been others who have shown interest (than the ones listed here) and would be a better hire than the latest speculation of Jackson, IMHO. We will just have to see who gets the nod. Hopefully we will get the right guy.
Are you talking alumni? If so, there are only six alumni I can think of who are close to qualified for the position:

Sid Bream (interviewed)
Randy Tomlin (interviewed)
Lee Guetterman (don't know if there was contact)
Tony Beasley (fighting cancer)
Graham Sykes (talked to, no interview)
Matt Hagen (spoke to, not interviewed)

We have some alum who are great high school coaches (Greg Simmons at Charlotte Christian is one of them) but I don't know of any who would be qualified to be a Division I head coach.

Who am I missing?
By southern_flames88
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear something before the weekend is over! Sounds like JB has done his homework on the candidates and whatever the decision - all were given a shot and a chance to sell themselves and their vision for the program. Hoping whoever comes in - will link to LU with at least one of their asst coaches. Still hoping Robinson gets the shot, he will be loved by Liberty fans and will build a strong program. No comparison resource wise with UTM and that program was in shambles when he arrived.

Excited about the future!
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:When new coach is named do you folks think there will be press conference in tower like we had for basketball?
I don't see why not.
2024 Season Thread

It's going to be an all-hands-on-deck staff game, […]

Not sure how much investment will be made outsid[…]

From running point for the Flames to running the s[…]

The prize in such a merger is “P4” sta[…]