If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
Topic that should somewhat come back to the light:

If the few schools receive the opportunity to remove themselves from the ACC plus receive another home in the BIG10, SEC or BIG12, what would the remaining schools do? Should the remaining ACC schools actually merge with the Big East in order to maintain a power autonomy? Lets say they do, would they take the name, the Big East, since the schools involved takes up the region geographically? Just trying to carry conversation as the summer is coming up soon :lol:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The prize in such a merger is “P4” status. So I would guess they would keep the ACC name. Total conjecture.

I’ve never understood the debate about the ACC moniker. The name is Atlantic Coast - goes from Maine to Florida. The “southeastern” nature of the conference simply relates to its historical foot print. But when they added Boston College, et al, it never bothered me they kept the name.

By the way, mixing non-football schools with football schools destroyed the Big East once. I’ll never forget the days it happened. So I would think some of those schools would give huge pause before going down that trail again. The ACC leftovers may want to merge, but the Big East may not want them.

But wow, what a basketball tourney in MSG that was for a few years!!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: May 25th, 2024, 3:15 pm The prize in such a merger is “P4” status. So I would guess they would keep the ACC name. Total conjecture.

I’ve never understood the debate about the ACC moniker. The name is Atlantic Coast - goes from Maine to Florida. The “southeastern” nature of the conference simply relates to its historical foot print. But when they added Boston College, et al, it never bothered me they kept the name.

By the way, mixing non-football schools with football schools destroyed the Big East once. I’ll never forget the days it happened. So I would think some of those schools would give huge pause before going down that trail again. The ACC leftovers may want to merge, but the Big East may not want them.

But wow, what a basketball tourney in MSG that was for a few years!!
The ACC's downfall started when ACC merged with some Big East schools. In the old BCS football playoff system, the Big East was so bad, most everyone wanted to boot Big East out of the BCS. Lo and behold, here comes the ACC inviting some of these unworthy Big East teams to the ACC. It is to this day the dumbest move any conference has ever made pertaining to expansion.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Your timing is off here. When the big east still included Miami, Syracuse, Pitt and Boston College, it was a good football conference. It was after the ACC accepted them that the Big East became the Big Least that was in danger of being booted from BCS.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: May 29th, 2024, 11:53 am Your timing is off here. When the big east still included Miami, Syracuse, Pitt and Boston College, it was a good football conference. It was after the ACC accepted them that the Big East became the Big Least that was in danger of being booted from BCS.
Don't forget Virginia Tech :wink:
LUOrange liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: May 29th, 2024, 12:12 pm
JK37 wrote: May 29th, 2024, 11:53 am Your timing is off here. When the big east still included Miami, Syracuse, Pitt and Boston College, it was a good football conference. It was after the ACC accepted them that the Big East became the Big Least that was in danger of being booted from BCS.
Don't forget Virginia Tech :wink:
I didn’t.
flamehunter liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Looks like the folks in Raleigh are going to make UNC and NC State play every year, along with scheduling East Carolina, App State, and Charlotte.

The question is: will the folks in Richmond do the same with UVA, Tech, JMU, ODU, and potentially VCU (basketball only)?

https://apnews.com/article/north-caroli ... 422153eea1
By cruzan_flame13

I think it's time for LU to invest in getting to the Big XII. Heck why not the SEC also :lol:. Jokes aside, it sounds funny to some folks (if not many), but this is how true visionaries work. Not just talkers or mockers, but taking action. Just saying :D
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote: June 4th, 2024, 6:24 pm

I think it's time for LU to invest in getting to the Big XII. Heck why not the SEC also :lol:. Jokes aside, it sounds funny to some folks (if not many), but this is how true visionaries work. Not just talkers or mockers, but taking action. Just saying :D
Will be lucky to get in the leftover ACC.
Assume SMU,Cal and Stanford go back to PAC and add a few MW.

Wake,BC,USF, Memphis, Charlotte, GA State or Kennesaw ( If they cling to tv markets - Charlotte and Atlanta trumps Programs ) ,JMU,ECU,App St, UTSA, types. Most won’t want LU. Will be a cat fight. If we got in - still a lot more quality football over CUSA for a little while at least.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: June 5th, 2024, 8:17 am Our weakness. Only 20K fans per game.
That’s a big weakness. I was absolutely shocked at the attendance for the Bowl Game. That was impressive! It’s the week in and week out attendance that needs to improve though
LUOrange liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote: June 5th, 2024, 9:28 am
TH Spangler wrote: June 5th, 2024, 8:17 am Our weakness. Only 20K fans per game.
That’s a big weakness. I was absolutely shocked at the attendance for the Bowl Game. That was impressive! It’s the week in and week out attendance that needs to improve though
Yeah, it's unfortunate that attendance has never been as good when the weather reports a chance of rain. I second guessed to attend that game, but went anyway. Had some fun seeing the reactions of the NMSU fans that sat next to me :lol:
By cruzan_flame13
Unfortunate that most of the 'Burg is owned by Tech or UVA. There is some growth of graduate students who remain here to start families plus some folks who've moved back to the area. That's why growth in enrollment matters.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
USF recently gained AAU status bringing them into the B1G discussion with their attractive market. Yes, they have been a train wreck athletically for most fo their existence. But it is a big enrollment major research university in one of the top-growing markets in the nation. I would suggest they are by far the most attractive non-P4 university in the nation above the Pac-2 and the vast majority of the ACC.

Our home attendance continues to plague our candidacy for all leagues. We have proven our competitiveness and have removed the focal point of the scandal-driven derision from most of the rest of the world. But getting butts in the stands continues to be our Achilles heel. Like Haize, I was in awe of our crowd in Glendale. Most of the folks I met in the stadium had Liberty ties but had only recently become aware of our athletic ascendance. And the majority that I met were not from the Mid-Atlantic region and skewed older than I expected.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Let it be known that Mr. and Mr. ATrain made the drive from Maryland for most home games and we have gone to a couple away games (Syracuse and Buffalo).
By LUOrange
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: June 5th, 2024, 2:43 pm Let it be known that Mr. and Mr. ATrain made the drive from Maryland for most home games and we have gone to a couple away games (Syracuse and Buffalo).
That's impressive, especially considering that you and your "Mr." don't exactly fit the LU profile. :D
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Meh, I went to Liberty, graduated debt free after getting both a bachelor's and master's there, and the MBA scholarship was through the athletic department. Thus, why I support them. I wouldn't be where I am without that boost.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
There are a lot of challenges and uphill battles to getting butts in seats outside of the students. The university regularly engages in analysis to track their graduating classes and see where they end up, and results have shown that there's actually a sizeable number of graduates that stay in Lynchburg once they graduate. As important as it is to grow enrollment, ultimately the thing that will keep graduates around and allow us to fill our stadiums is the local economy and the availability of jobs. The area is one of the fastest growing in the Commonwealth, but Rome wasn't built in a day. I get the arguments on here for growing on-campus enrollment, but the costs of doing that are tremendous right now. In 2010, when campus expansion really took off, we were estimating $200-250/sf for new space on campus for academic and residential buildings. Knowing what I know about the construction industry, that number is likely almost double. Break even's and ROI's become much more difficult with those kinds of costs, and for it to occur in a time when enrollment in 4-year institutions is dropping nationally is a risk.
LUOrange liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Humble_Opinion wrote: June 6th, 2024, 9:32 am There are a lot of challenges and uphill battles to getting butts in seats outside of the students. The university regularly engages in analysis to track their graduating classes and see where they end up, and results have shown that there's actually a sizeable number of graduates that stay in Lynchburg once they graduate. As important as it is to grow enrollment, ultimately the thing that will keep graduates around and allow us to fill our stadiums is the local economy and the availability of jobs. The area is one of the fastest growing in the Commonwealth, but Rome wasn't built in a day. I get the arguments on here for growing on-campus enrollment, but the costs of doing that are tremendous right now. In 2010, when campus expansion really took off, we were estimating $200-250/sf for new space on campus for academic and residential buildings. Knowing what I know about the construction industry, that number is likely almost double. Break even's and ROI's become much more difficult with those kinds of costs, and for it to occur in a time when enrollment in 4-year institutions is dropping nationally is a risk.
I agree, it is definitely a long term plan to increase enrollment, however, the first push should be focused on academic status since that is still relevant (image-wise that is). Hopefully the strategic plan will truly focus on that and getting more alumni interested and engage with the school/community affairs.
By LUOrange
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: June 6th, 2024, 6:41 am Lots of stuff on "X" indicating August will be wild. A lot of movement.
Here's Greg Swaim saying July. But I've read many twwets & watched a few YouTubers say August as well.

Election 2022 and 2024

All of this is why I just can’t believe […]

Prayers please

Apparently there's someone that's looking at it to[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazetten[…]

2025 Recruiting Discussion

It's good to see us bringing in some quality recru[…]