This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
and I don't mean Nick (no offense, Nick)

By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Flameshaw, nobody is blasting anyone...in fact it would have been nice to see you get on the board after a BIG win against WU and say simply good job guys, and moved on, just like most would do on here if we beat a team that's as high up in the Rankings in baseball

I dont fault coach for not getting out in the community that much simply b/c he doest have that type personality, and you have to be understanding to that...but there are concerns that will be addressed after the season is over regardless of records....again read my post above regarding records...they only matter to people like Flameshaw :wink: there can be a lot of good and a lot of bad that comes with those wins and losses

Flameshaw talking about the student athlete feedback, if RD would have had a bad % from the players he would have to be reevaluated as well...they dont just use a dart board for who to go after and who not to
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
I dont fault coach for not getting out in the community that much simply b/c he doest have that type personality
I do. Part of being a D-I coach is selling your program. Especially in a sport where local athletes generally do quite well in--from Legion and High School, all the way down to the Little League and Dixie Youth programs. Sure it's great that Coach Tomlin gets out and helps with area camps and coaches one of the legion teams, but the HEAD COACH should be the face of and the #1 community advocate for the program. Pastors was always active and had great turnouts at his summer camps.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I know I know, I guess I was just being nice...I look at it the same way as I did Coach Karcher, as far as the public goes
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Great analogy, HMO.

BTW--congrats to the Flames on the sweep. It appears that we are taking care of the games we should, and that is what you need with this type of schedule. Before we get all lovey-dovey, though, let us not forget how last year's cupcakes prepared us for Big South play--I think we lost 4 of our first 6 before learning to play UP to our competition.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I would feel better about the team if they were "kicking the crap" out of some of these cupcakes. These close calls are making me nervous but the bottom line is 7-2 and a 5 game win streak.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
JMU at 3-4 should be a decent test--but they have been down the past few years, then we get the mighty Hawks of Hartford for their season opening series. Fresh off a stellar SIX AND THIRTY season, the Hawks appear like great pigeons for a weekend sweep! A 4-0 week would be a great set-up for next week's game against VT, followed by a showdown with the ever-dangerous Colonials of GW--followed by series against MARIST and RUTGERS, before finally playing real teams UVA and Winthrop.

BTW, have I mentioned lately how SICKENING our schedule is?? Image
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Considering the dearth of victories on campus the past nine months I would think victories in tiddlywinks would be welcomed. Obviously we'd love to be beating a higher calibre schedule. But this is what we are working with and we need to be as supportive as possible.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
call me a homer, but I've looked at the schedule about 10 times now and it is what it is. It not like we are playing Randy-Mac, Bob Jones (do they even have a team), the local community college or YMCA every weekend.

Most of these teams also play one another, and most play the 'big name teams" as well.

We have what we have, at this point - I for one am GLAD for the wins!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, BJU doesn't believe in intercollegiate athletics. They don't want to be worldly and play schools beneath them.

:roll:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

my bad

I'm just a common sinner
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
would it be considered a sin to not play the absolute best teams possible, God doesnt want us to settle in anything we do and we should do everything to the best of our abilities, including making a schedule...right?

LOL, alrite guys now you see I just say stuff to get yall goin :lol: :lol: :lol:
By FYI
I am not defending the schedule. It is not the strongest. However , don't dismiss certain teams. Liberty has never beaten Marist in baseball. The Red Foxes are 5-0 including two losses in 1998 under Pastors when the Flames went to the NCAA tournament.

Also, George Washington has been picked as the A-10s top team and has a Wallace Watch list pitcher in Derrick Lutz. The Wallace goes to the top pitcher in the country and ony 30 pitchers made the list. He will definitely face us that weekend, so don't write off the Colonials as not a "real" team. They will probably make the NCAAs and will be seeded third in a regional, not a fourth.

Rutgers has been to the NCAAs 14 of the last 16 years. Last year was a down year, but the year before were considered to host a NCAA regional.

Finally, right now we only have three pitchers that get anyone out (Solbach, Page and Thompson) and Just and Laurent are the only ones hitting. Be thankful we are 7-2. Virginia Tech is liable to beat us next week. Maybe the coach knew what he was doing.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I hope you are correct, I dont know if this will prepare our guys for a TOUGH conference schedule, I dont think anyone does until it actually starts....I think it's similar to a few years ago with our women's basketball In-conference schedule (which they cant control)...they would dominate in conference and then go to the big dance and not know what hit them

I hope they are ready, Mike Just deserves it, I LOVE THAT KID!
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
If you are going to post great stats like that (which i for one appreciate) go ahead and registar. I mean if i did that research or knew those facts off the top of my head, i would want credit. Nice job.
By RedDog
Registration Days Posts
FYI to FYI ... The Brooks Wallace Award Goes to The top player in College Baseball and is not limited to just pitchers ...

Seven returning members of last season’s CBF National Honors Team head up a list of 120 baseball student-athletes on the 2006 Wallace Watch released Monday by the College Baseball Foundation in Lubbock, TX. The Brooks Wallace Award is presented annually to the national college baseball player of the year. The 2005 winner, third baseman Alex Gordon of Nebraska, has signed to play professionally for the Kansas City Royals.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Rotary Clemens Award here in Houston goes to the nation's top pitcher.

Up until two years ago, the Rotary Smith Award here in Houston went to the nation's top player. But the Houston Rotary Club found more interest in a Roger Clemens tie-in than for an overall player of year. The Rocket sells more tickets than college kids.
By FYI
Thank you to both RedDog and Sly for pointing out my mistake. I meant Clemens for Lutz and he is on the watch list for both.

I was not trying to boost the schedule. It was stated that Marist, George Washington and Rutgers are not "real" team and I was just trying to point out that they are not going to be pushovers, especially after we just lost to JMU on Wednesday. The Colonials beat the Dukes.
By RedDog
Registration Days Posts
The Dick Howser Trophy also is given to the best player in College Baseball, selected by the National Collegiate Baseball Wrtiers Association ... All are top notch awards and have really nice presentations with them ... Howser is given out in Omaha on the morning of the first game of the College World Series and the Brooks Wallace and Clemens Award are given out in the summer when the season has finished.
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:i see you know your stuff too, that is correct 8)

and not only that but I believe she won coach of the year 1 or 2 years before she was let go

one thing I know for certain, JF does not like it when he hears a student athlete say that he would not recommend LU to anyone and he would not send his children here, but when that student athlete says that he is not alone and the majority feel that way, now he'll step into action...I'm not saying this is the case for baseball just something that has happened in the past
And you just summed up the biggest problem with athletics at Liberty University
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Care to elaborate, Cowboy?

Are you saying the problem is JF?
or coaches that have no interpersonal skills and make the whole college experience unbearable for their athletes?
or coaches who misrepresent to the recuits what LU is all about?

Do tell. I sense the force runs strong in you, cowpoke.
By Guest
A.G. wrote:Care to elaborate, Cowboy?

Are you saying the problem is JF?
or coaches that have no interpersonal skills and make the whole college experience unbearable for their athletes?
or coaches who misrepresent to the recuits what LU is all about?

Do tell. I sense the force runs strong in you, cowpoke.
Don't tempt me oh great Sith, for the dark side is strong, but I m u s t f o ll o w YODA

Actually, if you re read the post and my reply, I thnk you will see what my point is
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Avoid Jabba, you must, or follow bad things they will.
I re-read your post and interpret it perfectly. It WOULD be a novel idea to let the AD actually be the AD.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Wow, that's kind of wild.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10[…]

Athens Regional

Changing speeds to the key to pitching. Escobar […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We have quite the battle for second place going on[…]