If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUAlum1215
Forgive the ignorance as Im not the worlds biggest basketball fan, but based on a program tradition, notoriety, and past success - would this be in the same ballpark as a football win over Notre Dame? Obviously thinking back to Doc's vision of Liberty athletics with this.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I can't wait to hear SumItUp's firsthand accounts of the experience. For those of us of a certain age, the idea of Liberty ever beating UCLA in basketball seemed a pipe dream when we were in school. I know this is not the UCLA of the past but it is still the Bruins in Pauley Pavilion. This one is special!

It is also kind of sweet that Coach McKay beat the man who replaced him in Albuquerque.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Beating a blue blood program. Game changer.

What’s crazy is Joe Lunardi has us in his list as the next four out in his bubble watch. Crazy to be in that category. Depending on how UCLA, Kent State (wins over Vandy, and Oregon State, and Georgia State (wins over Bama) do we definitely can slide in the 11 seed. That includes no bad loses in conference.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote:Second question- is this LU's first win over a power 5 opponent?

We’ve beaten Wake Forest and UVA before.
By OneHope
Glad I got to watch this one on TV and glad to see Liberty playing good fundamentals again! Hope this really propels is into the conference play it’s been a tough stretch on the road. I’ll be there to cheer them next Saturday!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
No, we have had a few wins most recently in Ritchie's 1st run with Seth Curry in the 2008-2009 season at UVa.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I can't wait to hear SumItUp's firsthand accounts of the experience. For those of us of a certain age, the idea of Liberty ever beating UCLA in basketball seemed a pipe dream when we were in school. I know this is not the UCLA of the past but it is still the Bruins in Pauley Pavilion. This one is special!

It is also kind of sweet that Coach McKay beat the man who replaced him in Albuquerque.
IU not hiring Alford was one of the few wise decisions they’ve made in their basketball program
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:This is a game we can win...…………………..if we "come to play" for 40 minutes. Must defend the 3, and play better defense in the paint than we did against Alabama.
I recall someone saying we would lose by 15. This is biggest win in LU basketball history I believe. Granted it isn't UCLA of old, but it's still UCLA. Beating them on their homecourt makes it even better.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Sorry Ballcoach but we can't match up with their size and athleticism. We have no one that can guard Moses Brown and Kris Wilkes. Only way we win is if we go unconscious behind the three. UCLA by 15.
This didn’t age well
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Great win! This is the way i had thought we would have clamped down on some of these athletic teams earlier. They missed a ton of shots but its still ucla at pauley. Wish so much we would have won that austin peay game. I do think this is the p5 win we needed to add with those other games to get us up higher. Not sure how high but tonight is a great feat!
By Baldspot1
The ASun has three nice highlights on their twitter feed. To set the scene on the open 3 pt shot highlight, UCLA had just cut LU’s double digit second half lead to 6 pts. Then with an apparent steal at mid court was foiled by two Bruins run into each other. LU player gets the ball back and heads to the paint where two. Bruins knock each other to floor under the basket. LU kicks it out for an open 3. LU went up by 9 and never looked back.

https://mobile.twitter.com/asunmbb?lang=en
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
CBS Sports wrote:UCLA vs. Liberty score: Bruins' meltdown continues with blowout loss at home
The Bruins have now lost four straight and looked lifeless against Liberty on Saturday night

Kyle Boone
@Kyle__Boone

Jayne Kamin-Oncea / USA TODAY Sports

UCLA hit a new low on Saturday during a season that has been filled with them, falling 73-58 to Liberty on its home floor. It's the Bruins' fourth consecutive loss in a string of disappointing performances, dropping them to 7-6 on the season as they prepare for Pac-12 play next Thursday.

This is not going to quiet the malaise that continues to emanate from Los Angeles about the job security of coach Steve Alford. Alford last week following a loss to Ohio State deflected questions of unease about his employment as the Bruins coach, but it's become too loud to ignore. Adding to the mess, this loss tops a previous most embarrassing moment of the season which came just two weeks ago in a home loss to Belmont, 74-72.

Liberty is good, to be clear. The Flames played a clean game and should be considered a top-two team in the Atlantic Sun. But there is a pecking order in college basketball, and UCLA is -- or at least should be -- multiple rungs up the ladder from Liberty.

Yet it is not.
Click Here for Full Story
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:
ballah09 wrote:Sorry Ballcoach but we can't match up with their size and athleticism. We have no one that can guard Moses Brown and Kris Wilkes. Only way we win is if we go unconscious behind the three. UCLA by 15.
This didn’t age well
I’m glad I was wrong.

I’ve never seen a coach who does less with the talent he has then Steve Alford.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:This is a game we can win.
JK, are you a believer in ballcoach's predictions? :clapping :exactly :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote:

:lol:
Ouch
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
What a definite marquee win for our basketball program! Ritchie McKay has built the beginning stages of a basketball program here at LU. So excited for our coaching staff and players. It was only a matter of time before we beat a big name blue blood program. So pumped
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]