Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Walk-On Kicker Scores With Eagles
Peter Yoon
October 14, 2006

First came "Rudy," then "Invincible."

The next underdog-makes-good football movie might be "Sid Vicious."

ADVERTISEMENTIt would be about Steve Aponavicius, a walk-on kicker at Boston College who kicked two field goals and two extra points Thursday night in a nationally televised 22-3 upset of No. 22 Virginia Tech.

Aponavicius, called Sid Vicious by teammates wary of trying to pronounce his last name (it's AH-pah-nah-VIH-chis), spent the early weeks of last season wearing face paint and cheering wildly in the student section.

The left-footer tried out for the team after a coach discovered him kicking field goals for fun on campus. He made the team last season but rarely suited up for games.

But he got the call this week when starter Ryan Ohliger was suspended for an off-campus fight. A soccer player in high school, Aponavicius had never played in a football game before Thursday, but he made field goals of 36 and 20 yards.

"All of it was fun," he said after the game. "Every minute of it. I just wanted to go out and enjoy it."

Aponavicius celebrated with his cronies in the student section after the game, then donned a suit and tie for a postgame news conference.

"He's unique," Eagles safety Ryan Glasper said. "We talked to him all week about how everyone's given an opportunity. This was his opportunity. We had the confidence in him to do the job."
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Hey...it could happen at LU. I had a buddy who won a truck by nailing a 40 yarder during halftime of the last home game of the season several years ago. He had never kicked a football and practiced for several weeks leading up to it. There have got to be some more like him out there. Shoot, there have got to be some girls who can nail an extra point...
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I can kick them from 25 out.. that's about it.

It's still better than any current option.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
My roommate's hit 40 yarders before.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts

speaking of salt in the woumd
5 plus 7 model

[rob lowe voice]I am LITERALLY in Dublin next we[…]

Prayers please

My neighborhood in Gambrills was great. Great f[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't w[…]