Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Paying college athletes is wrong.
Says you. But why?! How can we have any sort of meaningful debate if you won’t explain your point of view??

The closest you’ve come to an explanation is to say it wouldn’t be fair to the volleyball or softball player. Only the football skill position players would “get paid”. It’s an equal OPPORTUNITY though. Anyone is allowed to go trade on their likeness.

How do you respond when one player gets more playing time over another?
Or that some players receive scholarships and others don’t.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
Says you. But why?! How can we have any sort of meaningful debate if you won’t explain your point of view??

The closest you’ve come to an explanation is to say it wouldn’t be fair to the volleyball or softball player. Only the football skill position players would “get paid”. It’s an equal OPPORTUNITY though. Anyone is allowed to go trade on their likeness.

I think we need to define ‘Pay’
Is getting their education paid for ‘pay’?
Are the free tutoring services they receive ‘pay’?
Is getting the ‘Full Cost Of Attendance’ covered pay?
Should athletes get minimum wage?
How would Title IX play into it, when the Star QB is receiving more money from the University than the entire Swim team?
How do you regulate what boosters can pay?

The ‘Real World’ is not too dissimilar. I account for millions of dollars to my Company. I certainly bring in more than they pay me. If I didn’t I wouldn’t have job. You keep wanting to compare College Athletics to The Real Worl but you leave that last little bit out. If we treated athletes the way we get treated in the real world, we’d have a lot fewer athletes
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:The ‘Real World’ is not too dissimilar. I account for millions of dollars to my Company. I certainly bring in more than they pay me. If I didn’t I wouldn’t have job. You keep wanting to compare College Athletics to The Real Worl but you leave that last little bit out. If we treated athletes the way we get treated in the real world, we’d have a lot fewer athletes
Thanks for this perspective! You're absolutely right and I'd never thought of it this way before.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
The idea that it's "wrong" to pay student-athletes only comes from the NCAA who battles in court to keep the student in "student-athlete". The truth is, they are "athlete-students". The university doesn't do home visits to get students. They do home visits to get athletic students. Why? Because those athletic students will become part of the marketing department for the university.

These are basically employee contracts. At the moment, we're turning the other way by saying that the students get an education (payment). For many, that's a blessing. For the setter on the volleyball team, that's above fair market value. But for the skill position players, not remotely close to fair.

What if you guys were on here arguing that William Byron should just drive that Nascar for Liberty all year and be happy with cost of attendance vouchers? Lol.

He's the same age as the rest of our athletes.

The reason you have a double-standard is because you have no illusions that Nascar is in the non-profit sector.

The NCAA provides opportunity for many, but it's also taking money and opportunity from many young people.
By LUDad
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:

I agree with you that college players should be compensated for use of their "likeness". However, the reason it's not workable is that Alumni owned "Jimbo" Tire Service (and all others) would spread out ad/endorsement deals by the bucket load to all 5 star potential recruits, including 350 lb lineman. Thus, you are back to simply buying recruits. The rich will simply get richer.
By BigRed1
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Finebaum and Aubs are already talking Freeze as head coach on the plains after next year. Does anyone believe he is at LU this time next year? I would hope he stays 3 years but I haven't really heard any excitement from him for our school or team. From all I have heard it is all about Coach Freeze and his "reboot". I love the redemption story but would it kill you to be excited about what LU might have to offer and where we could be in a few years given our uniqueness and resources if you really leaned in? You could be a legend. The guy who helped awake a sleeping giant! Come on, at least try?!
Coach Freeze showed more excitement at his intro press conference than I ever saw Gill show the whole time he was here. I would take what Finebaum says with a grain of salt. He's SEC and SEC only. I'm sure he's in shock that Freeze would dare choose a team that's not an SEC team. I remember when Clemson beat Alabama for the National Championship, all Finebaum did was spout how Alabama was the better team even though they had lost. Finebaum bleeds SEC and he will have a SEC tilt on everything he reports. Unless you're an SEC junkie, the best thing is to ignore his bias opinions and just enjoy the fact we have Hugh Freeze for our head coach.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BigRed1 wrote:
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Finebaum and Aubs are already talking Freeze as head coach on the plains after next year. Does anyone believe he is at LU this time next year? I would hope he stays 3 years but I haven't really heard any excitement from him for our school or team. From all I have heard it is all about Coach Freeze and his "reboot". I love the redemption story but would it kill you to be excited about what LU might have to offer and where we could be in a few years given our uniqueness and resources if you really leaned in? You could be a legend. The guy who helped awake a sleeping giant! Come on, at least try?!
Coach Freeze showed more excitement at his intro press conference than I ever saw Gill show the whole time he was here. I would take what Finebaum says with a grain of salt. He's SEC and SEC only. I'm sure he's in shock that Freeze would dare choose a team that's not an SEC team. I remember when Clemson beat Alabama for the National Championship, all Finebaum did was spout how Alabama was the better team even though they had lost. Finebaum bleeds SEC and he will have a SEC tilt on everything he reports. Unless you're an SEC junkie, the best thing is to ignore his bias opinions and just enjoy the fact we have Hugh Freeze for our head coach.
I wouldn’t be surprised if HF is at LU for a long time. I wouldn’t be surprised if left after 2 years
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I highly doubt it will be a 1 and done type stint but I fully expect him to spend no more than 4 years here. If he is still here after 4 years than he is probably not having the success with LU that we all feel he will have here.

The SEC schools were weary of hiring him as just coordinators this year so I am not sure how in just one year at LU that would change and they would pursue him as a head coach.
By BigRed1
Purple Haize wrote:
BigRed1 wrote:
I wouldn’t be surprised if HF is at LU for a long time. I wouldn’t be surprised if left after 2 years
Agree with you 100%!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I am really hoping that he can find sustained success, but falls in love with the culture here.
I can see it happening IMO LU is the perfect fit for him and his family. But I’m in sales so I can make a huge list while this would be the case. But he is a unique personae and his potential to be a National Figure at LU is greater than if he moves on. He could put his unique stamp on LU Football. Make LU football his legacy. He won’t have the chance to do that anywhere else
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:I am really hoping that he can find sustained success, but falls in love with the culture here.
I can see it happening IMO LU is the perfect fit for him and his family. But I’m in sales so I can make a huge list while this would be the case. But he is a unique personae and his potential to be a National Figure at LU is greater than if he moves on. He could put his unique stamp on LU Football. Make LU football his legacy. He won’t have the chance to do that anywhere else
All you can do is lead a horse to water ............ :lol:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:https://open.spotify.com/episode/15s7up ... 6wIzKeyNow
That dude sounds exhausted.

He also sounds like someone who would've rather had a P5 OC job than come here but knew here was the best move for his family. Regardless of his reasons, I'm glad he's here and I'm excited for however long he stays.
I thought it was a good listen. They asked a lot of LIBERTY questions which is nice!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:All you can do is lead a horse to water
But he's in our barn, and he sounds hungry to coach and win again!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:https://open.spotify.com/episode/15s7up ... 6wIzKeyNow

He also sounds like someone who would've rather had a P5 OC job than come here but knew here was the best move for his family. Regardless of his reasons, I'm glad he's here and I'm excited for however long he stays.
I am sure this first month or two will be tough but once he finally gets his staff together and can get more comfortable but going from not coaching for 2 years to being thrown right back in the mix is probably quite the shock.

Kudos to him for continuing to take interviews. I wouldn't talk to anybody until everybody was hired but that is just me and I'd be a terrible head coach haha
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:All you can do is lead a horse to water
But he's in our barn, and he sounds hungry to coach and win again!
Waiting for him to stop self promoting and start promoting Liberty football. I hope he does soon and is here for several years.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

I am sure this first month or two will be tough but once he finally gets his staff together and can get more comfortable but going from not coaching for 2 years to being thrown right back in the mix is probably quite the shock.

Kudos to him for continuing to take interviews. I wouldn't talk to anybody until everybody was hired but that is just me and I'd be a terrible head coach haha
You’re also a terrible person so at least you’re consistent :lol: :lol:
Sly Fox wrote:Image
Sly, I don't know if you have the power, or who would, but there is a code out there to allow bbcoded forums to link tweets the same way we do Youtube. It might be worth it as often as we interact with twitter on here.
5 plus 7 model

Process of elimination... Why is ND left with 2 g[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now :[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]