Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Washington Post wrote:Sons of a Loudoun County preacher followed in his footsteps

By Michelle Boorstein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, July 4, 2010

Intense, colorful preachers populate the Whitlow family tree. They include a 6-foot-tall great-grandmother who roamed the country starting Pentecostal churches, and a hard-drinking grandfather who begged God to grant him sobriety if he gave God his heart.

More recently, there is Joseph "Arlie" Whitlow Jr., 68, a gravelly voiced former life insurance salesman who believes he was called 30 years ago from South Carolina to Loudoun County. He went door-to-door, gradually transforming a tent and a few dozen people into the Community Church, a 50-acre campus in Ashburn with high-tech toys for children and a sanctuary that fills with 1,200 souls each Sunday.
And here is an LU tie ...
For Charlie Whitlow, a 36-year-old father of three who in January took over his father's spot as lead pastor at the Community Church, that initially meant LSATs and plans for law school, but also a nagging feeling that he was "justifying" not working in the church, he said.

"I'd say, 'I love God; I love the church. I just don't want to depend on it,' " he said. "But there was a deep sense in me that I was running from what God wanted me to do."

Even for someone steeped in the evangelical community -- there were pastors throughout the family and he was a graduate of the evangelical Liberty University -- he said he still felt wary about how such a career would play out in a secular society in which faith and spirituality are increasingly seen as things not found in organized religion.
Click Here for Full Story
Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't w[…]

5 plus 7 model

[rob lowe voice]I am LITERALLY in Dublin next […]

Prayers please

My neighborhood in Gambrills was great. Great f[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]