If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

#661525
ESPN.com wrote:NCAA, power conferences agree to allow schools to pay players
Dan Murphy
Pete Thamel
May 23, 2024, 07:34 PM ET


The NCAA and its five power conferences have agreed to allow schools to directly pay players for the first time in the 100-plus-year history of college sports.

The NCAA and its leagues are planning to alert plaintiffs' attorneys Thursday that they are prepared to move forward with a multibillion-dollar agreement to settle three pending federal antitrust cases, sources told ESPN. The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, according to sources. Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.
Click Here for Full Story

Brace for what is next ...
#661527
Sly Fox wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 8:24 pm
ESPN.com wrote:NCAA, power conferences agree to allow schools to pay players
Dan Murphy
Pete Thamel
May 23, 2024, 07:34 PM ET


The NCAA and its five power conferences have agreed to allow schools to directly pay players for the first time in the 100-plus-year history of college sports.

The NCAA and its leagues are planning to alert plaintiffs' attorneys Thursday that they are prepared to move forward with a multibillion-dollar agreement to settle three pending federal antitrust cases, sources told ESPN. The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, according to sources. Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.
Click Here for Full Story

Brace for what is next ...
I view it as a great opportunity for LU if they embrace it. Outside of Rice ( who despises Athletics ) and Tulane - what other G5 ( still hate saying that term ) can leverage as an institution. Memphis, USF, SDSU, have ( or soon will have ) better facilities, fan support, tv markets - maybe Boise - but not the cash, they rely on donors. I think the clear divide in society and college Campuses can double LU online and on campus enrollment quickly. Sounds like we have a prez who wants to max out everything - this could all be good for LU while being terrible for college sports overall...
#661529
LUGrad2000 wrote: May 24th, 2024, 3:50 am Salary cap, but then NIL is still there…
Yep. Sounds like everyone will be paying athletes a flat $20 million and NIL will still be important, at least at the P5 level. As tyndal mentioned, this will only help us out against our G5 peers. We can pay that $20 million without asking for a donation so donor money can continue to go to NIL. Meanwhile the Boise state and App states will be desperately fundraising to get anywhere near $20 million which likely won't leave them with much if any NIL money.
#661534
tyndal23 wrote: May 24th, 2024, 12:08 am
Sly Fox wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 8:24 pm
ESPN.com wrote:NCAA, power conferences agree to allow schools to pay players
Dan Murphy
Pete Thamel
May 23, 2024, 07:34 PM ET


The NCAA and its five power conferences have agreed to allow schools to directly pay players for the first time in the 100-plus-year history of college sports.

The NCAA and its leagues are planning to alert plaintiffs' attorneys Thursday that they are prepared to move forward with a multibillion-dollar agreement to settle three pending federal antitrust cases, sources told ESPN. The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, according to sources. Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.
Click Here for Full Story

Brace for what is next ...
I view it as a great opportunity for LU if they embrace it. Outside of Rice ( who despises Athletics ) and Tulane - what other G5 ( still hate saying that term ) can leverage as an institution. Memphis, USF, SDSU, have ( or soon will have ) better facilities, fan support, tv markets - maybe Boise - but not the cash, they rely on donors. I think the clear divide in society and college Campuses can double LU online and on campus enrollment quickly. Sounds like we have a prez who wants to max out everything - this could all be good for LU while being terrible for college sports overall...
That is what LU should be doing for the next decade. Growing Enrollment, Academics(the procedures), Athletics and purchase of properties.
#661556
The eternal optimist in me is excited to see what this will do for college baseball. We are already seeing more of the top high schoolers forgoing the draft for college and that's with a lot of them still having to pay for tuition since there's only 11.7 scholarships. If they start making actual money I imagine all but the top high schoolers will choose college.
#661569
Sly Fox wrote: May 25th, 2024, 4:58 pm Not sure how much investment will be made outside of the primary two revenue sports.
You might be surprised to learn that more people attended SEC baseball games than SEC basketball games this year. Big ten schools won't be paying millions for the next paul skenes but you better believe those SEC school and several other schools across the south will throw players enough money to make it more appealing than slumming it in the minors for awhile.
#661572
Ill flame wrote: May 25th, 2024, 7:00 pm
Sly Fox wrote: May 25th, 2024, 4:58 pm Not sure how much investment will be made outside of the primary two revenue sports.
You might be surprised to learn that more people attended SEC baseball games than SEC basketball games this year. Big ten schools won't be paying millions for the next paul skenes but you better believe those SEC school and several other schools across the south will throw players enough money to make it more appealing than slumming it in the minors for awhile.
His Longhorns will learn soon enough how tough the road is in the SEC.
#661594
Ill flame wrote: May 25th, 2024, 5:46 am The eternal optimist in me is excited to see what this will do for college baseball. We are already seeing more of the top high schoolers forgoing the draft for college and that's with a lot of them still having to pay for tuition since there's only 11.7 scholarships. If they start making actual money I imagine all but the top high schoolers will choose college.
I do think we should consider putting dome good money into baseball and softball. If anything, maybe use a little more of the NIL on these programs since football and basketball will receive more funding. Good thing we have a director, as well as a President, who knows how to grow different areas of an institution.
#661596
I can’t wait to hear Mccaw’s reaction to all of this. While we can debate if the transfer/NIL changes will be negative for college sports, it won’t change what’s been decided.

We’re in a pivotal time of realignment and NIL that the haves and have nots will be sorted. I hope we see some big time upgrades to our recruiting in all sports as a result. There’s no reason for us not to dominate C-USA.
#661597
For the record, I am paying for two kids to attend an SEC school right now that has spent most of the season ranked #1. This team plays in arguably one of the nicest college-specific stadiums in the nation less than hour from my house. So I may have a tad bit of knowledge of SEC baseball. The Horns & Land Thieves will do just fine in the SEC and will both continue to be draws at the gates in both Austin and Norman just like their old rivals in College Station.

Most of the proposals that I have seen floating aorund have focused the discussion on football and mens hoops for obvious reasons. It is a very limited number of schools were significant revenue is generated in other sports. Some might suggest that hockey is more likely than baseball or womens hoops. But they remain afterthoughts at this stage of the settlement discussions.
JK37 liked this
#661607
LUGrad2000 wrote: May 28th, 2024, 8:19 am Is our new president willing to spend the money on athletics to keep us positioned to make a move if there is an opportunity?
He's kind of secretive like McCaw, so I wouldn't know. He did mention in an old interview that of the opportunity arises, then they'll look into it. Does that mean if we make a move with offers or if LU get a call. It's more likely that LU will have to make a huge deal that those with their nose raised high cannot refuse. I find that a bit challenging since most school presidents finds LU as not a legitimate school that is "cultic" and "politically violent."
Election 2022 and 2024

Not saying you're one YR, I don't think you are[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/GSwaim/status/1782230858251768126[…]

Ashland Blazer's Zander Carter turns down offer[…]

2024

The way schools are trying to market season ticket[…]