This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By tyndal23
Starting a campaign for student section pullout bleachers behind team/ scorers table. No vertical aisles, only entry is at extreme sides edge of the court - seats all have spiked splinters and students have to stand. These bleachers can be swapped out and replaced with current bleachers during fall and Christmas breaks -both sets of bleachers stored easily in the “tunnel” when the other is in use. Costs - 10k and 2 hours of student paid labor to swap out - environment goes from Lloyd Noble Arena to Cameron Indoor...it really is that simple. Talking to you Ian....
By BlueBlood
I've been one of the biggest critics regarding the need for the Falwell Center and the location of it. But if they are deadest on moving forward with it, I just want them to do it and get it over with. I think the sign/fencing has been up since 2021?

Commons IV is under roof and has a lot of brick on it already. It will be nice to see the academic / commons lawn fully open again (it's been a while).

The new parking garage is starting to go vertical.

Any rumors yet regarding what they want to do with the old cafeteria site? As far as I can tell, that's the final place that an academic building can properly fit on the academic lawn - so they better think it through.

Final thought - what's the deal with the Extended Stay? Does the school own it? Long term lease? It used to kind of be over there by itself - not so much anymore.
By AATL
BlueBlood wrote:I've been one of the biggest critics regarding the need for the Falwell Center and the location of it. But if they are deadest on moving forward with it, I just want them to do it and get it over with. I think the sign/fencing has been up since 2021?

Commons IV is under roof and has a lot of brick on it already. It will be nice to see the academic / commons lawn fully open again (it's been a while).

The new parking garage is starting to go vertical.

Any rumors yet regarding what they want to do with the old cafeteria site? As far as I can tell, that's the final place that an academic building can properly fit on the academic lawn - so they better think it through.

Final thought - what's the deal with the Extended Stay? Does the school own it? Long term lease? It used to kind of be over there by itself - not so much anymore.
I can't speak to the Extended Stay, but I believe Reber Thomas (or, at least, the site of it) will house academic and office facilities for a variety of programs, especially including nursing and the school of music.
By cruzan_flame13
BlueBlood wrote: April 26th, 2024, 10:58 am Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell Center to The Champion Center?

They did on the construction cam at least.
Yes they did. Should also mentioned that I'm hearing that LU is helping to build a new fire station that would be closer to the campus. I believe it will be around the round about that connect Odd Fellows Rd and Liberty Mountain Dr. Definitely a good area to build things there for residential and commercial purpose.
Baybird, Cider Jim, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
By cruzan_flame13
ballcoach15 wrote: April 30th, 2024, 12:30 pm I believe Reber Thomas building is now the LU Post Office or Mail Room. I not know if it's temporary or not.
That's actually not a bad place for the post office. There was the idea of placing the school of nursing there years ago, but that wouldn't have been a good idea thinking about it now.
By Ill flame
https://www.liberty.edu/news/2024/05/01 ... ing-space/

Sounds like they've changed some of their plans for the "champion center" compared to the original announcement. I don't remember reading about this change.
Liberty’s administration also determined a need for more lounge and gathering spaces for current students and faculty and staff, so updated plans call for a 24,000-square-foot rooftop plaza. With stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains, fire pits, areas to relax and study, and the first outdoor Wi-Fi-accessible location on campus, the space will be a favorite of students and visitors.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 1st, 2024, 7:17 pm https://www.liberty.edu/news/2024/05/01 ... ing-space/

Sounds like they've changed some of their plans for the "champion center" compared to the original announcement. I don't remember reading about this change.
Liberty’s administration also determined a need for more lounge and gathering spaces for current students and faculty and staff, so updated plans call for a 24,000-square-foot rooftop plaza. With stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains, fire pits, areas to relax and study, and the first outdoor Wi-Fi-accessible location on campus, the space will be a favorite of students and visitors.
Yes, based on current construction cam - the north side comes all the way down near the road and is octagonal - vs the old and even “ new “ renderings in the article. I like the compromise of JF Museum going in to Welcome Center and the rename. I agree with JR on this one - his dad never wanted his name splattered everywhere on campus.
ballcoach15 liked this
By BlueBlood
Work on the "Champion Center" appears to be halted again. There was a big push (really the only big push the project has ever seen) in the weeks leading up to Graduation. Nothing since.

This has been an unbelievably slow project. They put the construction fencing up back in 2021.
By cruzan_flame13
BlueBlood wrote: June 12th, 2024, 10:59 am Work on the "Champion Center" appears to be halted again. There was a big push (really the only big push the project has ever seen) in the weeks leading up to Graduation. Nothing since.

This has been an unbelievably slow project. They put the construction fencing up back in 2021.
It makes sense for them to halt the Champion Center project for now since it is not the main priority. As of now, Common IV and the car garage behind the LIC needs to be completed before the start of the 2024-2025 school year. After that, it's likely that they'll continue that project and zone the lot where the old Rot resides. For all of us who are not a sophomore or younger (college student), we will miss the crazy moment(s) we had in that cafeteria during our college years (maybe not :lol: ). I should also mention the additional renovations being done across campus, specifically the field hockey/lacrosse facility and the extended golf course for the golf team (establish a ladies golf team already smh). It will be interesting what else is in store once the strategic plan comes out in a month or two. With the amount of funds that was already presented to build the new academic facility plus fire house mentioned and other major renovations, it seem like this new plan is going to put the school onto the next level. Of course, not holding my breath lol.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'll admit that it does feel odd to not have a bunch of athletics projects in construction phase, But the past decade has certainly lessened the need to build new facilities. Some of the finishes in FOC that the social has shown the past few days do look sweet.
By BlueBlood
Well, they re-started work on the "Champion Center" again. I swear they only work on this building during the weeks leading up to Homecoming or Graduation.
By cruzan_flame13
BlueBlood wrote: September 12th, 2024, 2:08 pm Well, they re-started work on the "Champion Center" again. I swear they only work on this building during the weeks leading up to Homecoming or Graduation.
They might start and finish the new academic building, which will be located where the old RoT building is, before the Champion Center is even completed :lol:
By BlueBlood
cruzan_flame13 wrote: September 12th, 2024, 3:00 pm They might start and finish the new academic building, which will be located where the old RoT building is, before the Champion Center is even completed :lol:
They should spend some time making sure they get the use and design of that building right, because as far as I can tell, that is the last building spot available on the academic lawn.
ECU tickets available?

I know this is last minute but does anyone have an[…]

Game #4: East Carolina

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/183715542[…]

Prayers please

SAP review complete and approved, onto building in[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

In a discussion of who the dems have who could mak[…]