If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
When you have a chance to pick up a talent like that you take him. He's still an underclassmen and should continue to develop. Worst case scenario we would be picking up an even better version of venzant that can shut down any guard in the conference.
By Tothehoopyall1
ECC29 wrote:What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from MN?
Great question. He looked good on some of the video I watched but it's hard to tell what his overall impact will be. The videos show him nailing 3s. He doesn't look super explosive but I'm sure the ACL injuries have impacted him some. I love his length and I think he will help us next year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
With us now being at the scholarship limit, the question is, are we done, or is it likely that we have another transfer out, thus freeing up a scholarship? I would think the most likely candidates would be Spell and Yates, and looking at the players we have coming in, I don't see the opportunities for PT getting better for either of them. On the other hand, their odds for landing a scholarship at another D1 program get slimmer with each passing day. D2 could be an option, but there is no guarantee there either, and it could be only a partial scholarship.

Look at what has happened with the 4 players from this year's roster who have already entered the portal. Only one has found a new home so far. There are certainly worse outcomes than to spend another year getting a free education and being part of a winning program with a great team culture, even if you don't get minutes. Of course, the choice is not entirely theirs, and if Ritchie has another transfer he really wants, he could choose not to renew someone's scholarship. He has done it before, but I really don't see it happening here. We should know soon, as I believe the deadline to renew scholarships is coming up.
By Tothehoopyall1
Glad to hear we have another coming in. I am expecting us to look very different this coming season. If we get Bond, I think Porter goes to the bench and we start Metheny at point with Bond. I’m looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out.
By Ill flame
Assuming bond is the last guy, mckay is gonna have such a stacked rotation to work with. On paper we will have guys coming off the bench that would be starting for a lot teams in our conference.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but having 2 players who are total non threats to shoot the 3 in the starting lineup is very un-Ritchie-like, especially if neither is a true post player. We were there last year with Cleveland and Venzant, but let's face it, our options were limited to say the least. If we land Bond, I'm sure he will be a contributor, but I see Peter as being a better fit.
Last edited by olldflame on April 20th, 2024, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, counting the 2 coming off redshirt, we have 9 "new" players. Only 3 of the returners played significant minutes, and although they were all starters this year, I only look for 2 to start next year. I expect Metheny and Porter to split time at the point, and I think the competition for minutes and the increased rest during games will make them both more effective.

Starters??

PG Porter or Metheny
SG Peter
SF Blair or Maughmer
PF Cleveland
C Smith or Ihnen, with Kai a wild card

Blair could also see backup minutes at SG
Aquino backup minutes at PF
I would think both FR will redshirt.
By Tothehoopyall1
I am pleased with our moves. It will be hard for Metheny not to get significant minutes his shot and ability to create. I’m hearing very good things about Kai. I think he will be a contributor next year. We should definitely be a better rebounding team next year. Maugmer looks like a solid player from the film. This is getting exciting.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: April 21st, 2024, 6:18 am Seeing a Blair in the lineup just gives me chills.
No relation as far as I know, but it's still pretty cool.
Last edited by olldflame on April 21st, 2024, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ihnen will likely be granted a hardship year because he missed 2 seasons in a row with injuries. If so, the only players on next years roster who will be in their final year of eligibility are Smith and Peter. If we sign both of our 2025 commits, Carter and Grimes, that will give us a full roster again, but I would expect at least 1 or 2 departures after the dust settles.

This ranks right up there with the biggest roster turnovers we have had. The other 2 that come to mind are Ritchie's first year back when he "cleaned house", unceremoniously booting several of Layer's players, mostly for non basketball related issues. That year we had more departures than additions and played short-handed. I think the most extreme may have been Hanky's second year, when he dumped several players (including some he had just signed the year before and were starters) and "signed" a recruiting class of 12 HS and JUCO players. I think 7 or 8 of them actually made it to the mountain.
By broncosliberty
Great job upgrading the roster!! I am very excited and encouraged by theses additions to the roster. We finally might have a roster that is more athletic and has the necessary height to compete at a high level. Hopefully this continues.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: April 21st, 2024, 8:31 am Ihnen will likely be granted a hardship year because he missed 2 seasons in a row with injuries. If so, the only players on next years roster who will be in their final year of eligibility are Smith and Peter. If we sign both of our 2025 commits, Carter and Grimes, that will give us a full roster again, but I would expect at least 1 or 2 departures after the dust settles.

This ranks right up there with the biggest roster turnovers we have had. The other 2 that come to mind are Ritchie's first year back when he "cleaned house", unceremoniously booting several of Layer's players, mostly for non basketball related issues. That year we had more departures than additions and played short-handed. I think the most extreme may have been Hanky's second year, when he dumped several players (including some he had just signed the year before and were starters) and "signed" a recruiting class of 12 HS and JUCO players. I think 7 or 8 of them actually made it to the mountain.
Maughmer only has 1 year of eligibility left also.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: April 21st, 2024, 1:45 pm
olldflame wrote: April 21st, 2024, 8:31 am Ihnen will likely be granted a hardship year because he missed 2 seasons in a row with injuries. If so, the only players on next years roster who will be in their final year of eligibility are Smith and Peter. If we sign both of our 2025 commits, Carter and Grimes, that will give us a full roster again, but I would expect at least 1 or 2 departures after the dust settles.

Maughmer only has 1 year of eligibility left also.
You are right. I was looking at the Verbal Commits grid, and they have not added him yet.

Those departures will match up pretty well with the incoming 25 class. Losing a big forward and 2 swing players. Picking up (so far) a big forward and one swing player.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: April 20th, 2024, 6:03 pm Liberty has picked up a commitment from 6’6” G Jayvon Maughmer.
Do any old timers remember the last LU basketball player from Chillicothe, OH? :dontgetit Study
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
One thing I worry about a bit is the effect an influx of 5 transfers who for the most part had no relationship with our program prior to the last few weeks will have on the team culture. I'm sure our staff has vetted them as best they can in a short time and with 7 returnees as well as 2 FR who have been committed to the program for well over a year, I think they will be fine.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
3 core returning starters (PG,2G,F). Add Peter (3G) & Aquino (F) to starting 5. And a ton of options to work with from there. All nice fits for this offense. All appear solid. 8-10 man rotation. Noice.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

If ACC is left with 3 or 4 or completely disma[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

OK, so the latest from ASOR says that Smith is com[…]

NFL’s trading rules, salary cap, and prof[…]

Virginia Tech

The football team and basketball teams would l[…]