If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I remember when I arrived on campus in the Mid '80s, I assumed that our hoops coach was Ray's other son. :lol:

But classic DePaul basketball will always be Mark Aguirre to me. There haven't been many Mexican-Americans to make an impact in hoops over the years. Alongside of Devin Booker, he's been the most significant.

And for crying out loud, his last name is actually pronouned Ah-GEAR-ee. It shouldn't rhyme with the juiced bash brother.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Sounding more and more like Clemson, FSU to SEC and UNC, UVA to Big10. Louisville, NC State, Va Tech, Pittsburgh or Georgia Tech to B12.

Do you think ACC could reload and compete as a Power conf? Who do you think they would reload with?
By cruzan_flame13
TH Spangler wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:54 pm Sounding more and more like Clemson, FSU to SEC and UNC, UVA to Big10. Louisville, NC State, Va Tech, Pittsburgh or Georgia Tech to B12.

Do you think ACC could reload and compete as a Power conf? Who do you think they would reload with?
If this were to occur, they might well grab OSU, WSU, SDSU, UNLV, BSU, Memphis and USF.
By Ill flame
TH Spangler wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:54 pm Sounding more and more like Clemson, FSU to SEC and UNC, UVA to Big10. Louisville, NC State, Va Tech, Pittsburgh or Georgia Tech to B12.

We could see something like the WAC/ASUN alliance.

Pacific Division:
Cal
Stanford
Washington State
Oregon State

Atlantic Division:
Boston College
Syracuse
Uconn
Pittsburgh or Louisville

Magnolia Division:
SMU
Tulane
Wake Forest
Duke

We just don't know who the big 12 will take or how many so it's hard to speculate at this point.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I think the SEC will want to expand in new markets, and they won't stop with FSU and Clemson, assuming they're actually interested in those two schools.
By Ill flame
Didn't ESPN already tell the SEC they wouldn't increase the TV deal if they added more teams because they cant afford it? I know that's what fox told the Big Ten. Are we sure the SEC or big ten will expand unless the new schools take less money? Feels like Clemson and FSU is playing with fire here.
ATrain liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Neither FSU nor Clemson bring new markets of any significance to the SEC. Both would be a boon to the Big XII even though neither are viable options for the B1G due to academics. UNC & UVa would potentially be coveted by both leagues leaving those schoools debating among their regents whether they value academics ort Southern culture more. Duke & NC State makes sense for the Big XII. Otherwise the ACC doesn't have much to offer any other leagues. Perhaps Va Tech to the Big XII or maybe even the SEC if the Wahoos head north.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Big XII is a stronger possibility as the SEC would be a massive long shot. The old days of legisltaures pressuring decisions is primarily a relic of the past in the big money world we live in today.
By LUOrange
Sly Fox wrote: April 11th, 2024, 9:54 am Big XII is a stronger possibility as the SEC would be a massive long shot. The old days of legisltaures pressuring decisions is primarily a relic of the past in the big money world we live in today.
This is a big shame, because state legislatures and Governors cold have put an end to most of this ridiculous realignment. These PAC schools in the B1G and ACC just took the cake for me.
By LUOrange
Allegedly, ESPN has entered the Clemson/FSU-ACC feud and offered Clemson & FSU the SEC. This could slow down realignment and the possible death of the ACC. Maybe a lifeline of the PAC2 tot he ACC? Read the whole thread.

By tyndal23
Saw this...Sly is going to chastise you for the source :). You think in this scenario ACC adds USF ( FL market ) and Memphis, or do they try and snag UConn for the hoops?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Since ESPN essentially owns both the SEC & ACC rights, it would be no skin off their back if there was a move. My guess is that such a move would involve reduced distributions to the new schools for a number of years to buffer ESPN's already significant financial challenges these days. Right now they have both Clemson & FSU for pennies on the dollar with the terrible deal the ACC still is under for another dozen years.

As for the source ...
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 11th, 2024, 9:31 am Neither FSU nor Clemson bring new markets of any significance to the SEC. Both would be a boon to the Big XII even though neither are viable options for the B1G due to academics. UNC & UVa would potentially be coveted by both leagues leaving those schoools debating among their regents whether they value academics ort Southern culture more. Duke & NC State makes sense for the Big XII. Otherwise the ACC doesn't have much to offer any other leagues. Perhaps Va Tech to the Big XII or maybe even the SEC if the Wahoos head north.
VA Tech would offer more to the SEC than they would the Big XII. The Big XII already has a toe in the DC market with WVU. VA Tech would give the SEC eyeballs in DC, Richmond, and the 757. UVA would do the same, but they're snooty and want to go to the B1G, although the B1G already has a a foot in the DC market with Maryland.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: April 12th, 2024, 12:50 pm
Sly Fox wrote: April 11th, 2024, 9:31 am Neither FSU nor Clemson bring new markets of any significance to the SEC. Both would be a boon to the Big XII even though neither are viable options for the B1G due to academics. UNC & UVa would potentially be coveted by both leagues leaving those schoools debating among their regents whether they value academics ort Southern culture more. Duke & NC State makes sense for the Big XII. Otherwise the ACC doesn't have much to offer any other leagues. Perhaps Va Tech to the Big XII or maybe even the SEC if the Wahoos head north.
VA Tech would offer more to the SEC than they would the Big XII. The Big XII already has a toe in the DC market with WVU. VA Tech would give the SEC eyeballs in DC, Richmond, and the 757. UVA would do the same, but they're snooty and want to go to the B1G, although the B1G already has a a foot in the DC market with Maryland.
I selfishly want VT in the Big XII. Along with PITT. That’s would make for such a fun football season every year
JK37, ATrain liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: April 13th, 2024, 2:49 pm
ATrain wrote: April 12th, 2024, 12:50 pm
I selfishly want VT in the Big XII. Along with PITT. That’s would make for such a fun football season every year
That would be fun. The ACC should've let WVU in after Texas and Oklahoma bolted. Instead they sat on their you-know-what and did absolutely nothing other than "ally," themselves with the B1G and PAC-12...SMH
By LUOrange
This is actually a pretty good plan that resumes regional rivalries. Although, the article doesn't give details, it reorganizes the G5 into 8 conferences. 1 that participates in the Super League with the Big Boys but promotes and relegates with 7 separate lower conferences with it's own playoff. This also doesn't address all-sports. But I'm not against this in theory.

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
The proposed new NCAA football super league, which is being referred to as a “super league” or “College Sports Tomorrow (CST),” is expected to have a two-tiered structure with promotion and relegation elements similar to European soccer leagues.

Here’s how the under league division is expected to work:

Permanent Members: The league would have 70 permanent members, consisting of the biggest powerhouses in college football. This includes all teams from the Power Five conferences and Notre Dame.

Rotating Members: There would be an additional 10 spots for rotating members based on performance. The rest of Division I teams would compete for these spots, with the possibility of promotion to the top division.

Relegation Exclusion: The Power Five teams would be excluded from relegation, ensuring their permanent status in the top division.

Playoff Spots: These 80 teams (70 permanent and 10 rotating) would compete for 16 playoff spots, which would be determined by their performance in the league.

The exact mechanism of how many teams can move between divisions in a given season hasn’t been finalized, and details are still being discussed. The CST plan aims to reshape college football by creating a more competitive and financially sustainable model. It’s a significant overhaul that could change the landscape of college athletics, but it also faces legal and logistical challenges before it can be implemented.

Keep an eye out for further developments as the proposal progresses through discussions and potential approval processes.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am HIGHLY skeptical that this will materialize for a number of reasons led by the lack of motivation for any P2 school to see any value in this set-up. But it does have merit based on regionalization and a return of traditional rivalries. So again, if it makes sense then it is a non-starter.
LUOrange, ATrain liked this
By Ill flame
This was already proposed to the powers that be before the media found out about it and the proposal wasnt taken seriously. Why would the SEC and B1G partner with 20 random executives to incorporate a system like this?
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen pertaining to college sports, (other than the stupid transfer portal). Putting VT and UVA in with a bunch of northern schools is completely stupid.
"the love of money is the root of all evil", no where is this more true than in college sports.
By AATL
TH Spangler wrote:Image
Yes, I know this will never happen. Good luck prying the bazillions of dollars the B1G is currently making out of their hands.

But.

In a hypothetical world, that "Under League Division" would be some fun football to watch.
ATrain liked this
NMSU

Any info about the new incoming players to the pro[…]

Virginia Tech

Kinda wild conference play is done, but still fo[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I plan to read Megan Basham's, Shepherds for Sale:[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Or he was tampered with and already committed to[…]