If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
I could see this argument if the numbers of smaller conferences was increasing leaving a smaller number of at large bids. Without the big boys the upsets don't mean as much but I don't think the number of major programs in the tournament has decreased at all so I don't see how this is a problem.
JK37, LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
The NCAA & the P6 have already taken that approach to the NIT and it's what they're trying to do to football and the CFP. The NCAA Tourney is naturally next. It just amazes me how powerless and futile the G5 and Mid-Major Conferences and their Presidents act towards realignment and being cut out of every playoff. You'd think that these Universities and Conferences would consider lawsuits and complaints to their University Systems and State Government Officials would be made and considered. Again the hypocrisy of the elitist left is highlighted best in college sports.
ballcoach15, ATrain liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
https://cardinalnews.org/2024/03/21/if- ... he-pieces/
What about Virginia? Last year, when conference realignment chatter was in the air, Attorney General Jason Miyares pointedly warned in an interview with Cardinal that neither Virginia nor Virginia Tech should do anything that hurts the other. For practical purposes, that was a warning to Virginia, which may have more options than Tech does.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
LUOrange wrote: March 21st, 2024, 1:53 pm
Ill flame wrote: March 21st, 2024, 12:02 pm The idea that SMU is paying a lot of money to end up in a conference likely consisting of syracuse, wake forest, Duke, Boston College and a bunch of backfill cracks me up. I'm assuming Stanford and cal will back out of the ACC at that point.
Where would they go? back to the PAC2 and picking off the best of the MWC and western AAC (which they should've done to begin with)? I think most likely, the PAC2 joins them in the ACC along with UConn and possibly Memphis. It'd still be mid-tiered "Power conference" with very good MBB but so so football. May be a good opportunity for us, but our academics vs. most of the schools would hurt us.
If Stanford and Cal cares about their athletes, yes they would join the pac 2 with the best of the western G5s to significantly reduce travel. The alternative is for them to maintain their academic elitism with the ACC leftovers and backfill with the PAC2, uconn and/or any of the G5 AAU schools. Tulane, USF, Rice and Buffalo. They would drop down to D3 before joining a conference with us although I would love to see their fanbases have a trump winning the 2016 election level meltdown if we ever joined a conference with them.
LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ACC should kick Stanford, California , SMU, Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse and Pittsburgh out of the conference, and add Liberty, East Carolina, South Florida and South Alabama.
By LUOrange
ballcoach15 wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 2:52 pm ACC should kick Stanford, California , SMU, Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse and Pittsburgh out of the conference, and add Liberty, East Carolina, South Florida and South Alabama.
It sounds like Syracuse, Louisville, Wake, Duke, BC, GA Tech, Miami, SMU, Stanford & Cal will be left behind. Although, GA Tech & Miami have also been mentioned as candidates to the soon-to0be Super 3.

I could see the PAC2, UConn, USF, Memphis, Temple & ECU all to be considered as backfills. Basically, the PAC2 & old Big East schools.
By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: March 21st, 2024, 5:17 pm Greg Swaim is already predicting that that the SEC, B1G, and B12 are going to around or over 29 each with the Irish joining the B1G. Also if the Superconferences break off, will it be at 64 or 72? Either way the question is how much of the ACC will the big 3 poach? In either scen,current tv deals won't matter, and I see the P5 scrubs uniting to seize the middle ground betwthe big 3 and the G5. I think Liberty needs to be negotiating to get into that middle ground.
If my math is correct - there were only 69 P5 teams ( ND included ) in 23. If it’s 72 - that means whole ACC plus PAC 2 were most likely added. That leaves 3 spots for a USF/Memphis/SDSU. That is less of a legal risk than trying to cut out current / past P5 teams. That leaves LU legitimately competing for NCAA D1 title since most likely the Big 3 won’t have an NCAA affiliation. Flo tv contract will be fun, but we can legit compete for National Title ( even if on Tuesday nights since the Big 3 will gobble up all the Thursday/Friday/Saturday slots). Would be nice if a transfer up/out would still require a 1 year sit out and transfer down immediate eligibility - but that won’t happen - so NCAA will still be a feeder system for the Semi Pro league.
LUOrange liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon State, along with Gonzaga and St. Mary's, to make a solid western division.

Instead, the ACC looks like it'll be the next conference to implode. It may survive, but it'll be a shell of its former self.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When a conference adds ANY school for just basketball, they're making a mistake. Whether one agrees or not, football drives the train.
No west coast school should be in the ACC. When ACC folds, they have no one to blame but themselves.
Their scheduling format results in many unbalanced schedules. It will get worse when Stanford, Cal and SMU come aboard. Every sport will be affected by making numerous cross country trips for regular season games. When making schedules, ACC brass will give favors to certain teams.
At one time ACC was 2nd best conference in NCAA (behind SEC), but they're on their way to being a mid major, if they survive. All because of poor leadership.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
At what point in history was the ACC ever any better than the 4th best league in the nation? Until the PAC imploded they had been firmly planted in 5th or 6th best league for nearly a century.
flameshaw liked this
By Ill flame
Kricket wrote: March 30th, 2024, 9:15 am Saw this article ranking every team in attractiveness for conference realignment. I know we aren’t the most attractive but was surprised to see us practically dead last. I’m sure our religious/political affiliation was factored in the equation.

https://footballscoop.com/news/every-fb ... ealignment
That was created by Tony Altimore who hates Liberty and BYU with a passion. He specifically created a "negative risk deductions" category specifically to rank us lower. I'm just surprised he didn't rank us even lower.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Tony Altimore is not well regarded in many circles at all. He does produce some attractive graphics. Bully for him on that. But he was one of the Pac-12's chief apologists through that entire ugly demise.
ATrain liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 29th, 2024, 9:25 am Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When a conference adds ANY school for just basketball, they're making a mistake. Whether one agrees or not, football drives the train.
No west coast school should be in the ACC. When ACC folds, they have no one to blame but themselves.
Their scheduling format results in many unbalanced schedules. It will get worse when Stanford, Cal and SMU come aboard. Every sport will be affected by making numerous cross country trips for regular season games. When making schedules, ACC brass will give favors to certain teams.
At one time ACC was 2nd best conference in NCAA (behind SEC), but they're on their way to being a mid major, if they survive. All because of poor leadership.
Yes, we all know football drives the train. Yes, we all know that you're basically the only one of the board who feels adding non-football schools is a mistake. Yes, we all know that you hate the current ACC leadership, Notre Dame, and all northern schools :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Baybird, ballcoach15 liked this
By LUOrange
ATrain wrote: April 1st, 2024, 3:40 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: March 29th, 2024, 9:25 am Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When a conference adds ANY school for just basketball, they're making a mistake. Whether one agrees or not, football drives the train.
Yes, we all know football drives the train. Yes, we all know that you're basically the only one of the board who feels adding non-football schools is a mistake. Yes, we all know that you hate the current ACC leadership, Notre Dame, and all northern schools :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I don't think it's a good idea for all-sports/football conferences to add non-football schools, but I wouldn't get bent out of shape if CUSA added Grand Canyon, Belmont or even UNCG.
ATrain liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Wichita State was a flash in the pan, similar to George Mason and Davidson. The only mid-majors that have even come close to replicating the sustained success of Gonzaga are St. Mary's and, to a far lesser extent, VCU. It would be a mistake for a conference to add a new member based on one successful season (i.e. Wichita State to the AAC, George Mason, Davidson and Loyala Chicago to the A-10). Adding a new member on a sustained basis of success would be a smart move.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Ill flame
Wichita state was coming off 6 straight ncaa tourney appearances with 3 of them being at large bids. They advanced to the second round or beyond in all 6 appearances including a sweet 16 and final four appearance. That's gonzaga-esque. The difference is Wichita states coach that accomplished all of those things was forced to resign while gonzaga still has the coach that brought them all of their success. When Mark Few retires gonzaga will regress and won't have near the value they do today.
LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Ill Flame beat me to it. Wichita State has nas been a top 50 MBB program for most of the past fifty years. The timing of their collapse as they moved into the AAC was purely coincidental. Ole Purple Face had them ranked in the Top 10 several times during his stint in the Aviation City. Alongside Creighton, they are the two strongest non-football schools in Mid-America. DePaul once was in that category but hasn't been for at least a quarter century now.

I suspect Paul Mills will get them back winning soon enough. If you can win at ORU with the scant budget they possess, you can win anywhere.

As for Shocker football, Ted did make that incredible run. They'll always have that moment.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 8:41 am Ill Flame beat me to it. Wichita State has nas been a top 50 MBB program for most of the past fifty years. The timing of their collapse as they moved into the AAC was purely coincidental. Ole Purple Face had them ranked in the Top 10 several times during his stint in the Aviation City. Alongside Creighton, they are the two strongest non-football schools in Mid-America. DePaul once was in that category but hasn't been for at least a quarter century now.

I suspect Paul Mills will get them back winning soon enough. If you can win at ORU with the scant budget they possess, you can win anywhere.

As for Shocker football, Ted did make that incredible run. They'll always have that moment.
You disappoint me with a DePaul reference with no Ray Meyer or Dallas Comegys statement. Cmon man. Do better. Also they haven’t been relevant since The Great Midwest Conference morphed into Conference USA
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]