If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#660219
We did win the last one by 25, but we just don’t have anything else to lean on when the threes aren’t falling. That’s why we’ve been so inconsistent this year. It used to be that, no matter what, the pack-line would keep us in it. Now we don’t have the guys to run it well, so if we’re not bombing threes, we’re getting blown out. Maddening to see a team that prides itself on the pack-line get torched by dribble-drives night in and night out.

I agree that starting Porter and Metheny together is untenable moving forward. If Porter isn’t running the offense, it’s hard to see what his value-add is. I get that his assist/turnover ratio is high, but it’s less impressive when you consider that our starting PG, who adds little else and is a liability because of his size, is averaging under 4 assists per game. If I’m picking between the two, Porter is the odd man out.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#660220
broncosliberty wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 10:28 pm Mccay also needs to take risk recruiting kids that have greater athletic abilities and height. I believe Salter is a good example, he was a kid with character issues and was still recruited to LU and has had great success for football. We have a much larger budget than these schools we continue to loose too.
This is a bad idea. We can get better talent without sacrificing our commitment to character.
LUOrange, flamehunter liked this
By broncosliberty
Posts
#660222
That's not the point I was making. We're we supposed to not recruit salter because of what happened at Tennessee? Good character kids make mistakes. Salter became available for the football program because Hugh Freeze took a risk and it paid off obviously. We were probably never able to recruit Salter out of highschool because of his talent level. Mccay needs to recruit at a higher level and until that happens this team will never reach the highest level.
ECC29, thesportscritic liked this
User avatar
By Ill flame
Posts
#660223
broncosliberty wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 11:35 pm That's not the point I was making. We're we supposed to not recruit salter because of what happened at Tennessee? Good character kids make mistakes. Salter became available for the football program because Hugh Freeze took a risk and it paid off obviously. We were probably never able to recruit Salter out of highschool because of his talent level. Mccay needs to recruit at a higher level and until that happens this team will never reach the highest level.
Its an apples to oranges comparison. Football gets 85 scholarships, it's much less risky to take a chance on guys when you have 3 or 4 other guys per position to pick up the slack. Plus McKay relies on redshirting guys for a year to learn the system. There are double the number of D1 teams to recruit against in basketball so it's easy for talented character issue guys to move down to a weaker conference close to home and be the guy right away.
stokesjokes liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#660229
Salter was a little immature and undisciplined in some ways, but never lacking in potential or desire to be a complete player and quality person. Malik was the same way.

McKay has had a similar influence on his own players. Homesley would be a good example.
User avatar
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
#660230
I love how our new poster can't even spell the coach's name correctly. Hmmm...
Last edited by jbock13 on March 3rd, 2024, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#660234
Tournament should be interesting. Any team can win it. Matchups will be a factor. Strangely enough, Sam and La Tech are two of the more favorable matchups for Liberty. However, they’re going to need to adapt and adjust on D in order to take out some of these lesser opponents. Offense needs to be more efficient and play smarter against the more physical teams. Officiating is clearly favoring the physical stuff. Especially on the offensive side with guys plowing, pushing, and using elbows to create space. So, since you know that going in, you prepare for it. And they will.
By ECC29
Posts
#660235
Ill flame wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 2:06 am
broncosliberty wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 11:35 pm That's not the point I was making. We're we supposed to not recruit salter because of what happened at Tennessee? Good character kids make mistakes. Salter became available for the football program because Hugh Freeze took a risk and it paid off obviously. We were probably never able to recruit Salter out of highschool because of his talent level. Mccay needs to recruit at a higher level and until that happens this team will never reach the highest level.
Its an apples to oranges comparison. Football gets 85 scholarships, it's much less risky to take a chance on guys when you have 3 or 4 other guys per position to pick up the slack. Plus McKay relies on redshirting guys for a year to learn the system. There are double the number of D1 teams to recruit against in basketball so it's easy for talented character issue guys to move down to a weaker conference close to home and be the guy right away.
Since a basketball team can give out up to 15 scholarships. You said football can have 3 players to a position for slack. In a 15 man roster, of 5 players playing at a time in basketball. You can have up to 3 players playing each 5 positions. Furthermore, there are 2 guard positions, which means you can potentially have 6 guards in a roster. It goes the same generally for 2 forwards position in a basketball team. Which means you can have up to 6 forwards. Then, up to 3 centers. So, with your logic, a basketball team can have a “slack”.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
#660236
Positions aren’t as defined anymore as you say, and that helps your argument.

The “slack” can and will move on much more easily if they’re just “slack”. That just makes it harder. For a system coach like RMK, that really makes it tough. Kids need to stay and learn system, but they’re less likely to do so. That’s challenging.

Without a doubt, LU MBB needs to get longer and more athletic to be at the top of the CUSA. I won’t say “compete with” it, because I believe on the whole they’ve been competitive.

It will be interesting to see how RMK tackles such a challenge with the roster. But I’m more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a LOT longer. Nowhere close to needing to make a change in leadership now.
Purple Haize, flamehunter, Baybird and 2 others liked this
User avatar
By Ill flame
Posts
#660238
ECC29 wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 11:50 am
Ill flame wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 2:06 am
broncosliberty wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 11:35 pm That's not the point I was making. We're we supposed to not recruit salter because of what happened at Tennessee? Good character kids make mistakes. Salter became available for the football program because Hugh Freeze took a risk and it paid off obviously. We were probably never able to recruit Salter out of highschool because of his talent level. Mccay needs to recruit at a higher level and until that happens this team will never reach the highest level.
Its an apples to oranges comparison. Football gets 85 scholarships, it's much less risky to take a chance on guys when you have 3 or 4 other guys per position to pick up the slack. Plus McKay relies on redshirting guys for a year to learn the system. There are double the number of D1 teams to recruit against in basketball so it's easy for talented character issue guys to move down to a weaker conference close to home and be the guy right away.
Since a basketball team can give out up to 15 scholarships. You said football can have 3 players to a position for slack. In a 15 man roster, of 5 players playing at a time in basketball. You can have up to 3 players playing each 5 positions. Furthermore, there are 2 guard positions, which means you can potentially have 6 guards in a roster. It goes the same generally for 2 forwards position in a basketball team. Which means you can have up to 6 forwards. Then, up to 3 centers. So, with your logic, a basketball team can have a “slack”.
Womens basketball has 15 scholarships, men's has 13. In a program where we redshirt 2-3 guys a year and then they typically stay for most of their college career that leaves some wiggle room for projects but not much and if those projects dont work out it hurts much more. It's a little different in football where it's become standard to show guys the door that aren't performing.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#660240
JK37 wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 11:54 am Positions aren’t as defined anymore as you say, and that helps your argument.

The “slack” can and will move on much more easily if they’re just “slack”. That just makes it harder. For a system coach like RMK, that really makes it tough. Kids need to stay and learn system, but they’re less likely to do so. That’s challenging.

Without a doubt, LU MBB needs to get longer and more athletic to be at the top of the CUSA. I won’t say “compete with” it, because I believe on the whole they’ve been competitive.

It will be interesting to see how RMK tackles such a challenge with the roster. But I’m more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a LOT longer. Nowhere close to needing to make a change in leadership now.
I’m fairly certain RMK understands where is team’s deficiencies are at. He has had very good success here at LU with his System.
His offense generally requires 2 Bigs and 2 perimeter players on offense. Hes had to adjust it somewhat this year and we are seeing the ups and downs of it. The Defense hasn’t been nearly as taut as it needs to be. That’s concerning. But like you RMK has a lot or runway to address the shortcomings and improve. As it stands I think he’s done a fantastic job this year and this team has really overachieved
Baybird liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#660242
This is only the first year of a potential 3 year run w/Metheny/Cleveland/Porter. The latter looks to be better than the beginning. Should they catch fire in the tourney and win out this year, then I guess you could say that this one’s for Kyle. I really believe that they’ll give their best. We’ll find out if it’s good enough.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#660248
Purple Haize wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 2:40 pm As it stands I think he’s done a fantastic job this year and this team has really overachieved
I agree and that’s why I’m worried about the future. Either some of our current contributors get recruited over (or replaced by redshirts) or you’ve already seen this team’s ceiling.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#660252
Sounds like some of you guys may need to curb your Panic at the Disco.

The story of this season is still being written.

And the future has yet to be drafted.
LUOrange liked this
User avatar
By LUOrange
Posts
#660257
I think this team is more than capable of catching fire and winning the CUSA tournament. Although, I'm not real optimistic of that happening. I am very optimistic for next year, as I posted in the other thread, with Yu, Blair, and Davis playing. I'm also hopeful that Peebles, Southerland, Spell and others will have more of an opportunity to step up as well.

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]