Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

LU 57 wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 3:39 pm Good thing we got those 5 TOs. Could have been a completely different result. Gave up 6.2 per carry. Ouch.
A win has never felt so much like a loss to me. That being said, tis a win. I’ll take it, but we need to get better.
LU 57 liked this
First post in a minute for me. Been addressing mental health and personal stuff and in a Hobby again so I don't keep up with yall like I used to.

That being said, i tuned into the game online and Charles being out didn't help things that's for sure. Hope it isn't a long term injury
I think normally the first game under a new coach can be shrugged off as whatever even with poor play, especially if it’s a win. With that being said the defense is immediately concerning because of what we’ve seen at CCU.
Kricket, LU 57, Ill flame and 1 others liked this
aredd33 wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 4:07 pm I think normally the first game under a new coach can be shrugged off as whatever even with poor play, especially if it’s a win. With that being said the defense is immediately concerning because of what we’ve seen at CCU.
They'll get netter when Charles returns. Considering we had only 1 starter from last year's D, we did ok.
Dalegarz1, aredd33 liked this
I think this game will be about what we can expect the rest of the season. Offense is going to score points and should only get better throughout the season assuming we stay relatively healthy but this isn't the same defense we've had the last couple of years unfortunately. Salter did good but not great. If he keeps playing like he did today we may see a lot of fumbles but he does have that Malik willis syndrome where he finds a way to turn a big loss into a big gain somehow.

Our secondary performed well although the opposing QBs were terrible so I'm not sure which was a bigger factor. Giving up 6.2 yards per game on the ground to a team that averaged 3.1 last year which was one of the worst in the nation is very concerning. Getting kendy Charles back will be a big boost in that regard but our defense can't live or die based on one player. I hope we continue to see improvement on that side of the ball but I'm not as optimistic considering how well Chadwells previous defenses performed.

I'm not concerned about the special teams issues yet. That blocked fg was a huge momentum shift in the game but we don't know if that was a fluke or something to be concerned about. Hopefully our fg unit settles in and <40 yard FGs are nearly automatic this year.
Two significant take aways from today's game:
1. Salter played the whole game and didn't have a single turnover.
2. Our defense created FIVE interceptions.

That was a great way for Chadwell to get his 100th win and his first as an LU coach.

Old-timers will remember the last time we played Bowling Green. Thank God that history didn't repeat itself today.
Kricket, jimflamesfan, AATL and 3 others liked this
By AATL
I thought this was Salter's best game as a Flame. The stat line doesn't pop and he's certainly had flashier games, but his decision making looked leaps and bounds ahead of a year ago. I never felt like he was trying to force a home run with his arm. I thought he controlled the game well, played within himself, and was extremely accurate.

Elsewhere, it's going to be hard to redshirt Vaughn Blue. He looked great, especially as a pass-catching threat out of the backfield. I'd also place a bet that Bedgood is going to house a kick return before the year is out.

Defensively, Bazelak was our best player today. They really missed Kendy Charles/any run-stuffing bodies up the gut. Pressure was there, but at the expense of contain. DBs looked solid enough and had plenty of chances to ballhawk. I'm not going to overreact to the defense after game one; it's not the DC from Coastal, there are some new faces on the staff, and Chadwell wanted to keep Curtis to maintain ideas from the Symons lineage. There was a dropoff due (especially front 7) considering last year was arguably the best defensive line in school history and quite a few behind them portaled (<- official verb yet?) their way to P5 roles.
Liberty22 liked this
Not sure what game y’all were watching. But I thought this was everything we could have hoped for in the 1st Game of the Post Freeze era.
1- The sideline demeanor of the team was absolutely incredible. They were a TEAM not just a group of individuals. The camaraderie fun and chemistry was off the charts compared to last year. I’m liking the culture I’m seeing under Chadwell
2- Salter has improved by leaps and bounds. He still can’t throw deep but his reads and his decision making was so so much better than last year.
3- The O line looked good. I don’t know if it’s blocking schemes or what but they looked really good especially considering what had to be replaced.

AOC’s
1- Special teams. Especially the FG unit. The block for a TD was huge. But that guy doesn’t kick a high ball over the line of scrimmage. I think we are gonna see some blocked FGs this year
2- The D line. As pleasantly surprised as I was with the O line I was disappointed in the D line.
3- Stretching the field. Can Salter thow a deep ball?
AATL, LUOrange, thesportscritic and 3 others liked this
With the exception of the FG block return, I'm chalking most of the obvious issues up to first game jitters. But here are my disappointments, as petty as they may be:
1. Team video and entrance is still bland and lame. At this point, please bring back the Turbulence intro.
2. We're still too cheap and lame to launch real fireworks after TD's like we used to.
3. No red uniform improvements. Still the ugly boring Hugh Freeze "LU" red lids with the red pants that don't match.
4. The music/band/PA folks are getting worse. They used to be able to engage the crowd, especially the students. Not so much anymore. Granted the heat wasn't helping, but they really need lessons from the folks that run things at the hockey games.
5. I think half of the folks from the empty seats were in line for concessions again.
6. I waited 50 minutes for my food, although the LU Eats app said 20 minutes then stayed in "preparing." So when I went to check on my order for the second time, it had been sitting there for who knows how long and was cold. All while my app still said that my food was being prepared. Oh and they didn't give me a fork.
6. Why doesn't Bowling Green wear green? C'mon Man!
ballcoach15 liked this
We have a good band, but the music selections are bad. Sounds like something at a high school band concert. PA system is once again too loud. Hard to talk with (coach up) other fans because of the noise.
Concessions were never FBS ready, nor are they CUSA ready
The shortest lines on the Baptist side were for Dominoe's pizza, which was hot and only 10 bucks. Bottled drinks were 3 bucks each. So I got a small pizza and 3 drinks for $19 for my crew.
LUOrange liked this
Purple Haize wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 9:30 pm Not sure what game y’all were watching. But I thought this was everything we could have hoped for in the 1st Game of the Post Freeze era.
I know we are all homers here and always watch games through our red colored glasses but I was hoping for better than to struggle against one of the worst programs in the country even despite the inevitable growing pains. We were more talented than them across the board.
Liberty22, Kricket liked this
The only player I noticed standing out repeatedly was Jerome Jolly. Seemed like he was the new General out there.

I didn’t think Cooley stood out in a good way. Fumbling or close to fumbling a few times with no explosive plays.
Cider Jim wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 6:47 pm Two significant take aways from today's game:
1. Salter played the whole game and didn't have a single turnover.
2. Our defense created FIVE interceptions.

That was a great way for Chadwell to get his 100th win and his first as an LU coach.

Old-timers will remember the last time we played Bowling Green. Thank God that history didn't repeat itself today.
Yes, 2003 - my Freshman year. That season and the next were the peak of the Karcher years, before the disastrous 2005 season.
thesportscritic liked this
Ill flame wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 2:28 am
Purple Haize wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 9:30 pm Not sure what game y’all were watching. But I thought this was everything we could have hoped for in the 1st Game of the Post Freeze era.
I know we are all homers here and always watch games through our red colored glasses but I was hoping for better than to struggle against one of the worst programs in the country even despite the inevitable growing pains. We were more talented than them across the board.
I’ve never been accused of looking at things with rose colored glasses. How do you think I got my Moniker?
If this team wins 6 games and is Bowl Eligible that’s a successful season. Based on first appearances the culture that Chadwell is building is poised to produce a great future.
thesportscritic, rtb72, Cider Jim and 3 others liked this
Purple Haize wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 9:44 am
I’ve never been accused of looking at things with rose colored glasses. How do you think I got my Moniker?
If this team wins 6 games and is Bowl Eligible that’s a successful season. Based on first appearances the culture that Chadwell is building is poised to produce a great future.
We literally have the weakest schedule in the country with plenty of talent left over from the HF era and several solid additions. If we only win 6 games I would be very concerned.
Kricket, Liberty22 liked this
By rtb72
1- The sideline demeanor of the team was absolutely incredible. They were a TEAM not just a group of individuals. The camaraderie fun and chemistry was off the charts compared to last year. I’m liking the culture I’m seeing under Chadwell
2- Salter has improved by leaps and bounds. He still can’t throw deep but his reads and his decision making was so so much better than last year.
3- The O line looked good. I don’t know if it’s blocking schemes or what but they looked really good especially considering what had to be replaced.

AOC’s
1- Special teams. Especially the FG unit. The block for a TD was huge. But that guy doesn’t kick a high ball over the line of scrimmage. I think we are gonna see some blocked FGs this year
2- The D line. As pleasantly surprised as I was with the O line I was disappointed in the D line.
3- Stretching the field. Can Salter thow a deep ball?
Yep! New coach, new system, limited playbook and players still learning each other...I thought all-in-all, it was a pretty good start. Some things to fix for sure, but we came away with a win and some learning. Look forward to see our improvement over the season. Also, KSalt's improvement was a nice surprise.
Kricket wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 8:23 am I didn’t think Cooley stood out in a good way. Fumbling or close to fumbling a few times with no explosive plays.
The man averaged 5 yards per carry. It's wrong to expect frequent explosive plays out of him, because thats not his game. He's going to be our reliable bruiser that gets us consistent yards every carry, especially in short yardage situations while Vaughn Blue will be more of the explosive back.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’m with you on talent and even expectations. But didn’t BG go to a Bowl last year?
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]