Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUOrange
While it's great that we're getting on national TV/easier to find on cable & satellite TV. I still don't think these mid-week games (especially non-Thursday night) help us that much. I think the TV money and exposure on mid-week games are way overrated, and the trade off with loss of fan attendance and participation is drastic. I think most MAC fans would agree with me. I'll remain a broken record and dead horse beater on mid-week games until proven otherwise.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: June 1st, 2023, 9:58 am While it's great that we're getting on national TV/easier to find on cable & satellite TV. I still don't think these mid-week games (especially non-Thursday night) help us that much. I think the TV money and exposure on mid-week games are way overrated, and the trade off with loss of fan attendance and participation is drastic. I think most MAC fans would agree with me. I'll remain a broken record and dead horse beater on mid-week games until proven otherwise.
What would hurt for doing it a few years and seeing if they work or not? I don't think crowds will be bad on those week day games. My guess - Liberty will do all they can to get students out and I do think the locals will show up. There is NOTHING else to do on a week day here:) Really - that's not true anymore, but a football game is cool.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:This is incredible television exposure. We have at least 8 nationally televised games. If we make the conference championship and a bowl game...we could have 10 nationally televised games in one season. I wonder, since the days of the Family Channel have passed...have we ever had double digit nationally televised football games in one season? The way I understand the CUSA agreement, CBS Sports Network had first pic of the games and then ESPN second...so CBS must really have valued the Liberty product. If you look at the CUSA as a whole...us and Utep did the best with 8 televised games. LA Tech and Sam Houston Had 7. WKU has 6...and I think the rest had 5. So we had tied for the most tv games from CUSA. Really good exposure for the Flames.
Tell me more about LU playing on the Family Channel. I knew nothing about LU until I arrived on campus in the fall of 97.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It was primarily FamilyNet. Not exactly a household name. But oh if you have ever seen videos of "Act It Out" you will need to brace for some side-splitting hilarity. I have searched YouTube to no avail. But I'll keep looking.
By Liberty_2023
I'm excited about the TV games. Way easier to watch than in the past. We are the best brand in CUSA & as our alumni base continues to grow that will become even more true. Might as well take advantage of being the big fish in a small pond until we join the big pond.
By cruzan_flame13
prototype wrote: June 1st, 2023, 10:19 am
LUOrange wrote: June 1st, 2023, 9:58 am While it's great that we're getting on national TV/easier to find on cable & satellite TV. I still don't think these mid-week games (especially non-Thursday night) help us that much. I think the TV money and exposure on mid-week games are way overrated, and the trade off with loss of fan attendance and participation is drastic. I think most MAC fans would agree with me. I'll remain a broken record and dead horse beater on mid-week games until proven otherwise.
What would hurt for doing it a few years and seeing if they work or not? I don't think crowds will be bad on those week day games. My guess - Liberty will do all they can to get students out and I do think the locals will show up. There is NOTHING else to do on a week day here:) Really - that's not true anymore, but a football game is cool.
I'm sure people are rather more interested, in this technological age, to go and do most things in the comfort of their homes or friends/relative homes during the weekdays after a long day of work or errands. That's just a thought of course.
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
It might be drastic with no proactive plan. Not too late to tweak the season tickets for East Side weekday games and give them an option for west side. Give students major incentives for attendance and pack the upper deck with student overflow. IF that doesn’t work, then I got nothing...
prototype, LUOrange liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: June 1st, 2023, 1:20 pm
I'm sure people are rather more interested, in this technological age, to go and do most things in the comfort of their homes or friends/relative homes during the weekdays after a long day of work or errands. That's just a thought of course.
I get that, BUT it's 2 nights of the year!! I think we can all handle that. And my wife will be happy to have the weekend back to do something else with us, since she won't go to game either way. I have 6 season tickets and I'm sure I will fill all 6. I could be completely wrong and we have like 5,000 fans, but I sure hope I'm not. I guess a lot depends on how the team is doing and the weather. Our fans do not like losing and they do not like rain...
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote: June 1st, 2023, 10:43 am
jimflamesfan wrote:This is incredible television exposure. We have at least 8 nationally televised games. If we make the conference championship and a bowl game...we could have 10 nationally televised games in one season. I wonder, since the days of the Family Channel have passed...have we ever had double digit nationally televised football games in one season? The way I understand the CUSA agreement, CBS Sports Network had first pic of the games and then ESPN second...so CBS must really have valued the Liberty product. If you look at the CUSA as a whole...us and Utep did the best with 8 televised games. LA Tech and Sam Houston Had 7. WKU has 6...and I think the rest had 5. So we had tied for the most tv games from CUSA. Really good exposure for the Flames.
Tell me more about LU playing on the Family Channel. I knew nothing about LU until I arrived on campus in the fall of 97.
I also came to LU in 97. Familynet could be watched through dish network or skyangel if you had the right package and they used to show almost all of liberty's home football and basketball games. Even when we were bottom of the big south and had like 600 people in the 9,000 seat vines. My parents in Pennsylvania were able to watch almost all of the LU games.

I think this was around like 2002-2007 or so that they were showing all the games.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: June 1st, 2023, 1:41 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: June 1st, 2023, 1:20 pm

I get that, BUT it's 2 nights of the year!! I think we can all handle that. And my wife will be happy to have the weekend back to do something else with us, since she won't go to game either way. I have 6 season tickets and I'm sure I will fill all 6. I could be completely wrong and we have like 5,000 fans, but I sure hope I'm not. I guess a lot depends on how the team is doing and the weather. Our fans do not like losing and they do not like rain...
Right. And all the other FBS schools in our state have at least 1 weeknight home game. We are not alone.
By LUOrange
Well. We're about to find out for at least the next 5 years or at least until CUSA makes some adjustments. I think they may make some as I don't think NMSU & UTEP and MTSU & WKU are happy having to play their rivalry games on weeknights. So I'd expect some tweaking. I think it would be more digestible if CUSA could limit each school 2 weekday games (1 home and 1 away). I think that it would be much easier for paying fans to handle and prepare for a single game than multiple games. As of right now, it's really not a fair comparison for having several CUSA mid-week games on Tuesday, Wednesday, and/or Thursday nights vs. most schools (especially P5's) having a single game on a Thursday or Friday night.
By LUOrange
[/quote]

[/quote]

To be clear, it's 2 nights this year. We don't know about next year yet. it could be 3 games next year. I do think most paying fans will just stay home on a Tuesday or Wednesday night after work. I'll be there, but those of us on this board aren't the typical fan. Also, college football is a different animal and mindset for most fans than other sports. So again, I think we're going to see a big drop off in the paying crowd attending the midweek games. But we'll see what McCaw & Co. come up with to draw people in.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: June 1st, 2023, 8:33 pm
Well. We're about to find out for at least the next 5 years or at least until CUSA makes some adjustments. I think they may make some as I don't think NMSU & UTEP and MTSU & WKU are happy having to play their rivalry games on weeknights. So I'd expect some tweaking. I think it would be more digestible if CUSA could limit each school 2 weekday games (1 home and 1 away). I think that it would be much easier for paying fans to handle and prepare for a single game than multiple games. As of right now, it's really not a fair comparison for having several CUSA mid-week games on Tuesday, Wednesday, and/or Thursday nights vs. most schools (especially P5's) having a single game on a Thursday or Friday night.
UVA has 3 midweek games this year.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
This is from the CUSA csnbbs message board...

Number of linear tv games by conference as of today.

36 CUSA (9 conference teams this year)
46 MWC (12 conferenxe teams)
38 MAC (12 conference teams)
36 AAC (14 conference teams)
19 SUNBELT (14 conference teams)

The CUSA comes out averageing 4 tv games per team in the conference, that:s the best tv games per team average of all the G5 conferences.
sstaedtler liked this
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
What's also amazing if things stand pat is the Sunbelt TV package is not good at all. Only 19 tv games per 14 schools in the conference. The Sunbelt does get it's championship game on ESPN, so there's that...but as far as tv exposure, the Sunbelt deal appears the worst of all the G5.
By Ill flame
For context the sunbelt had 23 games on linear TV including the conference championship last year. I assume they will end up with around that many again. I didn't realize how bad their TV deal was until I looked closer though. ESPN is only contractually obligated to put 15 regular season games on their linear channels, only 7 of those games were on ESPN or ESPN 2. The other games were on NFL network or ESPNU. In terms of exposure we are probably getting more in CUSA than we would've in the sunbelt. I believe sunbelt TV revenue is slightly higher but that's irrelevant in our case.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Belt's contract definitely has more revenue than CUSA and is on ESPN2 & ESPNU more frequently. But revenue is indeed not relevant to us. But it certainly is to the rest of our league.

The past CUSA media contract was AWFUL. So while today's may not be optimal, at least we are being broadcast on places that we can find.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
The Belt is on the ESPN networks more frequently....but when you break it down by number of teams the ESPN coverage alone it is very similar. The Belt has 19 ESPN games with 14 teams. CUSA has 12 ESPN games with 9 teams. It's about 1.3 ESPN games per team.
CCWMichael liked this
By sstaedtler
When you add up total times on national TV, CUSA teams average over 6 times a team. The Sun Belt averages about 4 times a team. Granted, they sometimes get ESPN or ESPN2, and we usually are ESPNU or CBS Sports Network. The MAC teams get about 6 times a year average on national TV as well.

Subscribers by network: (in millions)

ESPN 79.75
ESPN2 79.65
FS1 78.57
NBCSN 78.56
SEC Network 70.00
FS2 60.57
NFL Network 57.45
Big 10 Network 54.28
CBS Sports Network 48.00
ESPNU. 44.85
ACC Network 42.00
PAC 12 Network. 15.00
By tyndal23
CCWMichael wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 7:15 pm
Baldspot53 wrote: June 4th, 2023, 9:36 pm Does anyone know if Warner, Jauch and Austin will be doing our home games?
We need to know!
Seems like a winner for the Conference if LU stipulated to produce home conference games, our quality is better than espn or cbs ( lower level conference broadcasts ) saves the networks $ and should add a few bucks back to Conference Members. 4 games a year - that adds up to a big chunk of savings for a network. Watching the PAC 12 / Apple saga - Apple insisting on schools producing own games and it is a big factor of cost according to several sources. Apple does not want to travel / pay production teams to each broadcast and none of these schools have their own due to PAC 12 Network.
JK37, LUOrange liked this
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I don't know if anyone noticed...The Refuel Pastor's Conference at Thomas Road is Monday Oct. 16th thru Tues. Oct. 17th this year. We coincidentally have a football home game Tues. Oct. 17th against MTSU. A lot of Pastors and LU alumni come from our of town for that conference...if only somekind of effort was made to let them know there is a game they could go to tuesday evening before they went home. :)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Latest impact from thre CUSA media deal:

The midweek October games forced the school to push Homecoming back to the first weekend in November when La Tech comes to town on Nov 4th.

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.