If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
Unfortunately most of them are online students who don't care about sports or at least LU sports. I did see that they had about 10k people participate in graduation ceremonies meaning that about half of those people were online students. I'm curious if those online students are much more likely to become fans. No primarily online school has ever had the athletic success that LU has had though so maybe that can change someday. Having Big Ten levels of living alumni can't hurt either way.
JK37 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 25th, 2023, 7:09 pm When I read articles like that one it feels like I'm reading fantasy booking scenarios from a bored pro wrestling fan. While we are at it R Truth needs a shot at the WWE title so he can take his rightful place as the head of the table. Why would the Big 12 pick up 6 G5s when they could probably just wait and pick up the scraps from the ACC when that conference implodes assuming they don't end up getting any PAC12 additions? That's just asking for another WAC situation down the road.
If the ACC implodes they're still P5. They just grab the best G5s and keep rolling. Maybe us.
Last edited by TH Spangler on May 26th, 2023, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
TH Spangler wrote: May 26th, 2023, 12:26 pm
Ill flame wrote: May 25th, 2023, 7:09 pm When I read articles like that one it feels like I'm reading fantasy booking scenarios from a bored pro wrestling fan. While we are at it R Truth needs a shot at the WWE title so he can take his rightful place as the head of the table. Why would the Big 12 pick up 6 G5s when they could probably just wait and pick up the scraps from the ACC when that conference implodes assuming they don't end up getting any PAC12 additions? That's just asking for another WAC situation down the road.
If the ACC implodes they're still P5. They just grad the best G5s and keep rolling. Maybe us.
That isn't really relevant to the article but you are correct. Although at that point it would be another AAC level conference with original big east level prestige which is still a huge upgrade for us.
TH Spangler, LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the ACC to implode, the primary way to get around the Grant of Rights is for the conference to dissolve. The Magnificent Seven as they have been called would have to assure the left behinds that they would have a strong landing spot. The BCs & Wakes could stop any dissolution cold unless they received certain guarantees. That's the primary reason an escape from the GoR is proving to be so difficult for the Mag7. That could involve guaranteed out of conference football contracts that could run up to 2036 for certain schools to maintain some "rivalries". There has to be financial incentives for the bottom feeders to be managed to allow the big fish to swim to the P2.

ESPN has zero incentive at this stage to allow the pennies on the dollar, air-tight contract they have with the ACC for more than a decade to go anywhere. They have the ACC on the crazy cheap discount at a time when they are being forced by Disney shareholders to cut costs. ESPN loves the deal they hoodwinked Swofford & the ACC presidents into signing to save their own skin.

Any movement with the ACC will have to involve a complex set of circumstances that some of the finest attorneys in the nation have yet to discover.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: May 28th, 2023, 9:13 am For the ACC to implode, the primary way to get around the Grant of Rights is for the conference to dissolve.
So are you saying if the GoR is terminated somehow, the ACC no longer exist? I'm not following how the loss of a TV contract nullify a conferences rights granted by the NCAA. Seem like the leftovers would still be a P5 and only need a new TV deal.

Is the ASUN-WAC FBS G5 still in the works?
By Ill flame
I don't believe any ACC teams will leave before around 2030 when it becomes more economical to buyout the rest of the contract. It doesn't seem like a coincidence that there were rampant rumors about the top teams all trying to leave at once right before the conference voted for uneven payouts based on performance that will only benefit the top teams. It's a pretty safe assumption that the ACC will continue to operate no matter how many teams leave but I could see them losing their special voting privileges if they drop off too far.
TH Spangler liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler - The only practical way outside of a legal challenge to get around the Grant of Rights is to kill the conference completely which would render the GoR worthless. I agree with Ill Flame that it remains highly unlikely. Just sharing how this would need to go down. Any ACC Leftovers backfill is likely over a decade away due to the league owning the TV revenue rights.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
In the words of the legendary lyricist DL Ross, "Might as well jump".

But this is just the folks in Boulder looking to put more pressure on Kliavkoff to deliver a media deal or else. Having Coach Prime wanting to get back to recruiting in the Lone Star State has to be a motivating factor for the CU admininstrators.

In the meantime, the waiting continues for all parties.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: May 30th, 2023, 8:39 pm In the words of the legendary lyricist DL Ross, "Might as well jump".

But this is just the folks in Boulder looking to put more pressure on Kliavkoff to deliver a media deal or else. Having Coach Prime wanting to get back to recruiting in the Lone Star State has to be a motivating factor for the CU admininstrators.

Betsy’s brother?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: May 30th, 2023, 9:11 pm
Sly Fox wrote: May 30th, 2023, 8:39 pm In the words of the legendary lyricist DL Ross, "Might as well jump".

Betsy’s brother?
No silly, Bob's brother.
By cruzan_flame13
Colorado and UCONN will be part of the Big XII. Big XII basketball just got even better :lol: . Well, if Primetime do not like this, then Colorado will likely be out. About $31.7 million in media shares don't sound so bad does it. Well, this is just hearsay :D
By LUOrange
cruzan_flame13 wrote: June 1st, 2023, 5:38 pm Colorado and UCONN will be part of the Big XII. Big XII basketball just got even better :lol: . Well, if Primetime do not like this, then Colorado will likely be out. About $31.7 million in media shares don't sound so bad does it. Well, this is just hearsay :D
I don't think the B12 does anything until they know for sure what the 4 PAC corner schools do. I, also am not sure what UConn brings to the B12 other than their basketball teams and if that's enough, especially with them so far east.
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote: June 1st, 2023, 5:38 pm Colorado and UCONN will be part of the Big XII. Big XII basketball just got even better :lol: . Well, if Primetime do not like this, then Colorado will likely be out. About $31.7 million in media shares don't sound so bad does it. Well, this is just hearsay :D
If UConn is invited to Big 12 ( that means probably only CO left from PAC 12 and not much else happened in realignment except that SDSU replaced them - if so - I want to do a horse trade with UConn - Campbell to UConn and we go play at MD 8/31.

https://fbschedules.com/2024-uconn-football-schedule/
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'd pump the brakes on UConn at this stage. First off, Colorado may be likely but is not a done deal.

Next, if the Buffs bolt then it is highly likely that Arizona will be next to join them in the Big XII.

The big news yesterday was that Arizona State gained AAU status. That instantly elevates them in the B1G discussion significantly. Could they believe that they would join UDub, Oregon & Stanford in a B1G western expansion to rejoin their old rivals in L.A.? I suspect they will hold off on the Big XII unles they get an out written into contracts in case they are invited to one of the P2. The Pac NW pair are likely in the same situation.

I suspect that Utah holds out hope to keep the Pac12 together until the last moment. And frankly they are not near as valuable as even San Diego State to the Big XII as they bring in no new markets.

UConn is in the discussion but as a fallback of fallbacks.
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 11:02 am I'd pump the brakes on UConn at this stage. First off, Colorado may be likely but is not a done deal.

Next, if the Buffs bolt then it is highly likely that Arizona will be next to join them in the Big XII.

The big news yesterday was that Arizona State gained AAU status. That instantly elevates them in the B1G discussion significantly. Could they believe that they would join UDub, Oregon & Stanford in a B1G western expansion to rejoin their old rivals in L.A.? I suspect they will hold off on the Big XII unles they get an out written into contracts in case they are invited to one of the P2. The Pac NW pair are likely in the same situation.

I suspect that Utah holds out hope to keep the Pac12 together until the last moment. And frankly they are not near as valuable as even San Diego State to the Big XII as they bring in no new markets.

UConn is in the discussion but as a fallback of fallbacks.
If UConn gets anything other than hoops only invite - things have not gone well for Big 12. BY can love hoops all he wants, but UConn won’t get the votes for all sports. Gonzaga and Villanova as basketball only -maybe...but until we are closer to a new contract that separates hoops tv from football, not sure that will have much support - no matter how “ cutting edge” it appears today.
By tyndal23
Things are taking shape with Big 12 becoming 3rd Best Football P5 and best Basketball Conference. If they are flirting with UConn all sports or for hoops, back to my original thesis of LU writing a monster check and deferring revenue share - this is the time, conference, new President to make such a move to a cutting edge Commish in Yormark with the way he is making unconventional moves. It is now or never - or we will be left behind as an NCAA sub tier classification. Forget the G5 auto bid stuff - buy in now ( if possible ) or be forever “ Left Behind” ( pun intended) - need the Lahaye / Hobby Lobby $ types to step up and assist along with investing a big chunk of LU endowment. Do a spreadsheet on every aspect, being left out isn’t an option if the goal is “ best”. Use LU assets ( cash) and zoom past all the G5 “ potential markets”.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 8:27 am How big might the check have to be?
LU isn’t made of money. There’s no sustainable upside to buying into a P5 if you are deferring revenue for years. PLUS there’s that pesky thing of Conferences even WANTING you regardless the price. LU tried to buy their was into the Sun Belt and CUSA before and were rebuffed like a Freshman at Senior Prom
AATL liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
We are no more ready to be a P5 than Joey is to run a marathon or remember what day it is. As soon as we get in a new conference, we start dreaming about getting into another one.
IMHO, we need some stability in CUSA and let a conference approach us for new membership, not pay or beg to get into another one.
Besides we have a great AD in Ian, and we need to trust him. Can't think of where he has led us wrong thus far. We are VERY fortunate to have him.
Sly Fox, flamehunter, AATL liked this
By Ill flame
Our fanbase isn't anywhere near P5 levels which is obviously the issue but athletically I think we could transition to that level very quickly as soon as a hypothetical announcement is made. We are already paying P5 salaries to our coaches/AD, mostly have P5 caliber facilities, near P5 levels of support staff and obviously we are in a great position to fix deficiencies quicker than any other G5s. The big 12 probably understands the importance of athletic success over markets better than anyone but that doesn't mean they will overlook our small fanbase even if we wrote a low 9 figure check.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 10:52 am Our fanbase isn't anywhere near P5 levels which is obviously the issue but athletically I think we could transition to that level very quickly as soon as a hypothetical announcement is made. We are already paying P5 salaries to our coaches/AD, mostly have P5 caliber facilities, near P5 levels of support staff and obviously we are in a great position to fix deficiencies quicker than any other G5s. The big 12 probably understands the importance of athletic success over markets better than anyone but that doesn't mean they will overlook our small fanbase even if we wrote a low 9 figure check.
Big 12 needs to watch vid of the BYU game last year. We would be able to fill the stadium for B12 opponents.

LUOrange liked this
By cruzan_flame13
TH Spangler wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 12:58 pm
Ill flame wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 10:52 am Our fanbase isn't anywhere near P5 levels which is obviously the issue but athletically I think we could transition to that level very quickly as soon as a hypothetical announcement is made. We are already paying P5 salaries to our coaches/AD, mostly have P5 caliber facilities, near P5 levels of support staff and obviously we are in a great position to fix deficiencies quicker than any other G5s. The big 12 probably understands the importance of athletic success over markets better than anyone but that doesn't mean they will overlook our small fanbase even if we wrote a low 9 figure check.
Big 12 needs to watch vid of the BYU game last year. We would be able to fill the stadium for B12 opponents.

More people would attend games if we played Big12 in my opinion. I know people like to use the Syracuse game as an example of the Bill not being filled up, but that was Syracuse. No one cares about Syracuse. Now look at the BYU game or even Tech and one will see that it's possible to get students and locals interested. Bring in teams from arguably the third best conference and it's a no brainer. Of course I'll agree that we still need time if there's even any for the hopes of transitioning to P5 later. It doesn't seem like there will be though since the existence of the other two P5 conferences (PAC12 & ACC) seems inevitable in the next 5-10 years. Also, in regards to the AAC, the value that the conference once had will not stand even though the new members are part of big markets (who focus on the nearby P5 schools first). Now I am not saying Ian doesn't know what he's doing, however, it is quite evident that the new age of college football and sports in general is directed to money before anything else.
By Ill flame
I don't think there is much debate that we would likely sell out nearly every big 12 game. We could probably even sellout the vines center for every conference basketball game as well, I don't think that really matters much in realignment anymore though. Are enough people going to watch our games on TV to justify adding us? Right now the answer is no and it'll be several years before it becomes a yes. I'm optimistic we will get there eventually whether we are playing cupcakes or not, its pretty impressive how quick the fanbase is growing and the fact that we have the most televised games in CUSA is encouraging even if they are mostly on CBSSN.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 4:20 pm I don't think there is much debate that we would likely sell out nearly every big 12 game. We could probably even sellout the vines center for every conference basketball game as well, I don't think that really matters much in realignment anymore though. Are enough people going to watch our games on TV to justify adding us? Right now the answer is no and it'll be several years before it becomes a yes. I'm optimistic we will get there eventually whether we are playing cupcakes or not, its pretty impressive how quick the fanbase is growing and the fact that we have the most televised games in CUSA is encouraging even if they are mostly on CBSSN.
$400 million in annual $40 million payments.

It is simple math. Guessing on what a SDSU, Memphis, UConn,SMU type might bring in future TV revenue or cash in hand annually from LU. with commitment to 40k stadium in 2 years, Vines Center or equivalent seating arena. Baseball and Softball have plenty of room to expand seating. LU paying in $40 million a year and taking only travel revenue is a net of $ 80 million for a decade vs taking and paying another G5 and eliminates TV partner having to dole out additional. A decade from now, ROI could be over $ 100 million annually. Is it likely that Big 12 adds a G5 ? - not very as it is looking like they will be adding all they want from PAC 12, but even discussing SDSU / UConn - LU should be in their ear as a better option financially. And yes it would be a “home game” feel in attendance for most Big 12 Schools ( 25k LU and 15k opponent ) for a while - still better than Vanderbilt numbers...just because no one has “ever bought in to a Conference before” doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Things have changed if you haven’t noticed...
This year's men’s basketball?

Lol. Too white?

NMSU

Who is this mystery man?

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.