If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BlueBlood
ATrain wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:50 am It is interesting, considering the ASUN is letting women's lacrosse stay. You'd think we could get a spot in the Big East with field hockey for all 3 sports, but considering neither has had the success that field hockey has...
The ASUN needs affiliates for W Lacrosse (only Jacksonville, Queens and Stetson have W Lacrosse)
The Big East needs affiliates for Field Hockey (only Georgetown, Providence, UConn and Villanova have Field Hockey)

It doesn't sound like anybody was eager to add a "not needed" LU men's soccer team.
ATrain liked this
By tyndal23
Is it crazy to think Youtube TV swoops in last minute for PAC12 ? They had an amazing year last year with live sports, just got the perfected multi screen with viewer choice audio on March Madness, NFL Red Zone and a ton of new subscribers - yet have been dead silent on PAC12. As an LU Future P5 enthusiast - hoping they are a last minute player...much better than Apple TV. Extremely popular with college age demo.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I think they should feel confident. If the Pac-12 survives, they likely are first expansion choice. If the Big XII secures at least Colorado & Arizona, a SDSU-USF combo makes a ton of sense if they are looking to become a coast-to-coast conference.
By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote: March 26th, 2023, 5:32 pm I think they should feel confident. If the Pac-12 survives, they likely are first expansion choice. If the Big XII secures at least Colorado & Arizona, a SDSU-USF combo makes a ton of sense if they are looking to become a coast-to-coast conference.
The real question is if the PAC will still hold their P5 autonomy. I'm sure Utah and Arizona St. aee changing their minds because that media deal that ESPN has proposed is pure garbage (to P5 standards). Oregon and Washington is looking at the BIG to change their minds and would even take a deal where they don't get an equal amount of money like the other members of the conference. PAC is in shambles and it's hard to see them surviving at least as a better conference as the BIG XII or ACC. Looking at San Diego State and SMU (or even USF) is a sign of desperation; their pride of being an academic elite conference is biting them in the gizzards about now. Not taking BYU was a huge mistake and there's no recovery from that. The fact that schools want to leave especially after the departure of USC and UCLA is a big sign that the remaining schools don't want to stay in the conference especially with the commissioner that they have presently . Can't say I have that much pity for the conference of the west. Of course this doesn't look like this will benefit or cause problems for LU at the moment.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I was referring to an SDSU/USF combo to the Big XII as possibility depending on how many Pac XII schools they could land. UCF could use a travel partner and SDSU brings Cali into the equation.

Washington/Oregon could even go to Big XII with an out for the B1G if they come calling. If the Pac-12 crumbles then chaos will ensue. But there still remains a possibility that they hold the thing together.
By BlueBlood
An interesting quote in the men's soccer release:

"Conference affiliation has yet to be finalized for the Lady Flames’ women’s swimming and diving, who have won the last five CCSA championships."
Remember, the CCSA has shared conference administration with the ASUN.

So is LU getting kicked out of the ASUN/CCSA, or just moving on?

I'm guessing kicked out for soccer. Mainly, because I think most would see ASUN soccer as preferable to joining a startup IL/IN/MO based league. So, I think LU likely would have preferred to stay if it could.

There's not much to go on for swimming (yet). I'm sure that there is a chance that the uncertainty might just be Ian trying to see if he can nail down something better (like maybe say a move to the American). However, if you see LU move to a "worse" situation (like soccer), I think it tells us that LU got kicked out.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
In regards to swimming and diving, it appears the Sunbelt wants to start sponsoring the sport. So far, only Georgia Southern, James Madison, and Old Dominion offer women's swimming and diving in the SunBelt.

Campbell has women's swimming and diving, which will be joining the CAA.

This leaves the CCSA with FGCU, Gardner-Webb, UNCA, UNF, and Queens.
BlueBlood liked this
By BlueBlood
I think Marshall offers it too - but still, that is only 4. That would be a nice landing spot.

Of course, the SBC would have been the obvious landing spot for soccer too and it would seem like they didn’t bite.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: March 28th, 2023, 7:10 pm I think Marshall offers it too - but still, that is only 4. That would be a nice landing spot.

Of course, the SBC would have been the obvious landing spot for soccer too and it would seem like they didn’t bite.
You are correct that Marshall does (https://swimswam.com/2023-mvc-fan-guide ... uri-state/)

It appears that an earlier assessment that no one wants us unless we're needed, is correct. SunBelt will likely need us for swimming, but doesn't need us for men's soccer.
By tyndal23
I do think there is some merit to the “ESPN /Fox “ trying to dismantle PAC12 due to fear of a streaming service taking over an entire conference and finding a major foothold in College Football. We are in a perfect storm of heading in to a terrible economy with cable being on its last legs and streaming becoming dominant, along with 5G and YoutubeTV perfecting the split screen with volume control on “users choice” of NFL Redzone. Technology and speed of “changing channels and split screens” will be here rapidly across all streaming platforms and the ad $ revenue will follow quickly. ( always curious why ESPN+ opts to show blank screens “commercial break” on games 80% of the time rather than tiering ads or even running repeat ads for free - they really have failed to monetize after all these years of being a great access to 2, 3 and 4 tier programming). Cable is Blockbuster and Streaming is Netflix - guess the year? ESPN 3 , then + were a decade ahead of their time, then got pushed to back of the line by newer management - all the infrastructure wasn’t followed up with by a giant online local tv ad push. Every sports fan in America should be an ESPN+ subscriber had they emphasized what the original vision was 15 years ago.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:49 pm I'm seeing a lot of internet rumors that UConn is lobbying for an all sports invite to the B12?
With the ACC locked down until 2036, its the only P5 conference that they even have a snowball's chance in h-e-l-l at getting in. Wish the ACC had taken UConn instead of Louisville
By LU 57
TH Spangler wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:49 pm I'm seeing a lot of internet rumors that UConn is lobbying for an all sports invite to the B12?
I went there with my son on a visit. They talked a lot about getting into a P5 conference in the next couple of years. Said ACC or B12 was most likely.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
ACC really fumbled with UConn. First they took Boston College over the Huskies, then they let BC block UConn from joining. I get that football drives the ship, but is BC football really what you want when you could have UConn basketball?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:56 pm Wish the ACC had taken UConn instead of Louisville
You know Ballcoach HATES both of those 2 options: :nono :nono one is too far north; the other, he thinks, are cheaters and poor in academics.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: April 4th, 2023, 4:09 pm
ATrain wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:56 pm Wish the ACC had taken UConn instead of Louisville
You know Ballcoach HATES both of those 2 options: :nono :nono one is too far north; the other, he thinks, are cheaters and poor in academics.
Ballcoach's opinion is acknowledged and given appropriate weight.
Purple Haize liked this
By Ill flame
Boston college
Tv Market- 8th
2004 Football attendance- 43,190
Football record last 5 years before joining ACC: 41-21

UCONN
TV Market- 34th
2004 football attendance- 39,304
Football Record: 28-30

Uconn is obviously the better basketball school but Boston college went to the ncaa tourney in 3 of the previous 4 years before joining the ACC so they were no slouch there either. Considering how little basketball moves the needle in realignment and how strong of a basketball league the ACC was already I can absolutely understand why they passed over uconn for Boston college.
stokesjokes liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: April 4th, 2023, 7:11 pm Boston college
Tv Market- 8th
2004 Football attendance- 43,190
Football record last 5 years before joining ACC: 41-21

UCONN
TV Market- 34th
2004 football attendance- 39,304
Football Record: 28-30

Uconn is obviously the better basketball school but Boston college went to the ncaa tourney in 3 of the previous 4 years before joining the ACC so they were no slouch there either. Considering how little basketball moves the needle in realignment and how strong of a basketball league the ACC was already I can absolutely understand why they passed over uconn for Boston college.
The problem is, very few people in Boston care about college football or basketball. So Boston College, while being next to the hub of the universe (its not within the city limits), is not exactly something locals really pay attention to.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
2004 makes total sense, but letting BC block them in 2011, when the football team was in the fiesta bowl and the basketball team won a 3rd national championship, didn’t make much sense at the time.

I think one thing that gets missed when comparing TV markets is UConn’s footprint in NYC. They’re probably the most popular basketball team in the city, maybe a close second to St. John’s, but they haven’t been relevant for a long time.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: April 4th, 2023, 4:09 pm
And Louisville is too far west to be in ACC. Kentucky is NOT on the Atlantic Coast.
ATrain liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]