If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:54 am Bold predictions for where our outgoing transfers land:

Preston ............ Queens U.
Warfield. ............ Robert Morris
Jackson ............. Trevecca Nazarine

I will consider this a win if I am right on one of them.
None of those is a step up in competition, right? Queens would be closer to home, and Morris and Trevecca would be for more playing time?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
If we’re comparing to ASUN, RM is not in a slouch league. I would call that an almost lateral move on the whole of conference-conference. If comparing to new CUSA, ASUN and Horizon are a slight notch below.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:59 am
olldflame wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:54 am Bold predictions for where our outgoing transfers land:

Preston ............ Queens U.
Warfield. ............ Robert Morris
Jackson ............. Trevecca Nazarine

I will consider this a win if I am right on one of them.
None of those is a step up in competition, right? Queens would be closer to home, and Morris and Trevecca would be for more playing time?
Robert Morris would also be close to home for Isaiah, and would be pretty much a lateral move in level of competition. I really think Jonathan needs to step down a level to get PT, and we have had quite the pipeline from LU to Trevecca (but that may not continue at the same pace since Omar Mance is no longer there.)
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I would think Duquesne (A10) would be a better option than RMU (NEC) for Warfield.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: March 31st, 2023, 10:13 am I would think Duquesne (A10) would be a better option than RMU (NEC) for Warfield.
I suspect Isaiah would agree, but would Duquesne?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: March 31st, 2023, 10:13 am I would think Duquesne (A10) would be a better option than RMU (NEC) for Warfield.
Bobby Mo isn’t in the NEC any more.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
One down, 2 to go.

Backup PG who should be good enough to push Porter for minutes. I suppose they could play together some, but I suspect Ritchie has had enough of tiny backcourts for a while.
flamehunter liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
His highlights are mainly as a SG. Definitely a lot of mid-range shots, which hasn't been a big part of our game recently. I trust Coach McKay saw enough of his ballhandling and defensive skills to want him here. Welcome to the mountain!
By sstaedtler
ballah09 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 7:46 pm Another undersized guard. We’re in the top 6 for Ortiz, who is another undersized guard.

Ritchie has to land some length and bigs if he wants to compete in the CUSA.
Exactly! Why does McKay have this obsession with getting drastically undersized guards? These next two players have to be long and athletic.
By LUOrange
I don't think he has an obsession with undersized guards, it's just how the ball rolled. He found diamonds in the rough with McGhee and Porter. Although, Porter fit the need of a true PG & he could still conceivably grow a few more inches. I do agree that we need more length at the 2 guard spot though.

Personally, I'd like to land Shaver and Caffero, then get more consistent and efficient PT out of Peebles and Spell.
By Ill flame
There are over 300 teams looking for 6'3+ guards without enough to go around while talented undersized guys like McGhee are lucky to get a glance from low major schools. McKay has been around and knows what he needs. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. Maybe I should remind everyone that we have a highly regarded HS SG coming in (Blair) that is 6' 5" and has the potential to be a day 1 starter for us.

This isn't a slam dunk pickup but I like it. He isn't likely to be a starter but he is a proven commodity that will provide quality depth and competition for peebles and Blair. I'll take guys like this off the bench over a 6' 5" guard like Warfield that opponents don't respect enough to guard on the perimeter. It's length in the paint I'm more concerned about and hope it gets addressed in the portal.
LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Great fit for what's expected to be a more up-tempo pace. Kaden is super quick & shifty. W/quick reliable release off the catch & shoot. Disruptive on D. Former WV state POY. Very nice addition.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 12:00 am Great fit for what's expected to be a more up-tempo pace. Kaden is super quick & shifty. W/quick reliable release off the catch & shoot. Disruptive on D. Former WV state POY. Very nice addition.
:clapping I may have a new favorite player! :shock:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: April 1st, 2023, 9:47 pm
ballah09 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 7:46 pm Another undersized guard. We’re in the top 6 for Ortiz, who is another undersized guard.

Ritchie has to land some length and bigs if he wants to compete in the CUSA.
Exactly! Why does McKay have this obsession with getting drastically undersized guards? These next two players have to be long and athletic.
Not really.
Let's not forget we have added a bunch of length to the active roster already with Blair, Kai Yu, and Ben Southerland. Ortiz is really good. I don't see Ritchie passing on him if he wants to come, and then go with a big guy with the other scholarship.
Last edited by olldflame on April 3rd, 2023, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 12:00 am Great fit for what's expected to be a more up-tempo pace. Kaden is super quick & shifty. W/quick reliable release off the catch & shoot. Disruptive on D. Former WV state POY. Very nice addition.
Please enlighten us on these up tempo expectations.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Core returnees, Porter, Rode, Cleveland, all play fast. Porter's style is to race the ball up the floor from arc to arc, under control, keeping opposing D off balance. Not saying that faster tempo necessitates quick attack. That option is there, but we also have the option to be even more pass oriented. Faster action enables more passing. It's a visible strength and we appear to be building on it.
Last edited by paradox on April 2nd, 2023, 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 2:31 am
:clapping I may have a new favorite player! :shock:
https://bgsufalcons.com/sports/mens-bas ... theny/9545
By Ill flame
With the addition of Metheny and potentially Ortiz I bet blair ends up being moved more to a 3 role behind venzant giving us a lineup that looks something like this.

1- Porter
2- Peebles/metheny/Ortiz (or a different transfer)
3- Venzant/Blair
4- Rode
5- Robinson/Cleveland/Transfer

There's going to be a lot of competition and the lineup will be stocked with scorers.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
There are some interesting dynamics involved in the portal process. A significant factor in the decision making process is looking at the other players a team is recruiting, especially those who have committed. Ortiz' announcement of his short list came out almost simultaneously with Metheny's committment. There is a good chance he did not know about it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Interesting situation with those 2 guards. Ortiz had the better stats and had more and better programs pursuing him. Of course that doesn't mean he was higher on Ritchie's list, because we all know he has different recruiting priorities than most coaches. Metheny pulled the trigger on committing first, and either Ritchie felt he was a better overall fit, or he had concerns that Ortiz was likely to go elsewhere and went with the "bird in the hand".

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.