This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
#652762
Normally the 5th District GOP doesn't challenge a Congressman running for reelection, but Riggleman dug his own grave by conducting that wedding, according to sources. Personally I was shocked that a GOP Congressman would stoop that low.
#652766
Have_a_Gansett_2011 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 1:21 pm Goldwater was a chump anyway. lol

I'm a 2 Kingdoms person myself, but advocating for certain moral positions does not make it an overstep of "religion" in public life. Don't kill babies, you are either male or female, and marriage has always been in human history, a man and woman. Everything else is up for debate really.

Officiating the civil ceremony does not make him unfit for congress per se, but it certainly makes him unfit for any leadership role at Liberty.
That is far too reasonable a rake for this board! This is a Wendy’s sir! :D
LUOrange liked this
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#652773
Purple Haize wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 5:59 pm
Have_a_Gansett_2011 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 1:21 pm Goldwater was a chump anyway. lol

I'm a 2 Kingdoms person myself, but advocating for certain moral positions does not make it an overstep of "religion" in public life. Don't kill babies, you are either male or female, and marriage has always been in human history, a man and woman. Everything else is up for debate really.

Officiating the civil ceremony does not make him unfit for congress per se, but it certainly makes him unfit for any leadership role at Liberty.
That is far too reasonable a rake for this board! This is a Wendy’s sir! :D
He was replaced by a guy who was able to get McCarthy pointed in the right direction. Thank goodness.
LUOrange liked this
#652775
TH Spangler wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 8:22 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 5:59 pm
Have_a_Gansett_2011 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 1:21 pm Goldwater was a chump anyway. lol

I'm a 2 Kingdoms person myself, but advocating for certain moral positions does not make it an overstep of "religion" in public life. Don't kill babies, you are either male or female, and marriage has always been in human history, a man and woman. Everything else is up for debate really.

Officiating the civil ceremony does not make him unfit for congress per se, but it certainly makes him unfit for any leadership role at Liberty.
That is far too reasonable a rake for this board! This is a Wendy’s sir! :D
He was replaced by a guy who was able to get McCarthy pointed in the right direction. Thank goodness.
You make a lot of assumptions in that statement
LUOrange liked this
User avatar
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
#652776
Purple Haize wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 9:43 pm
TH Spangler wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 8:22 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 5:59 pm

That is far too reasonable a rake for this board! This is a Wendy’s sir! :D
He was replaced by a guy who was able to get McCarthy pointed in the right direction. Thank goodness.
You make a lot of assumptions in that statement
Indeed. McCarthy doesn't care about policy, only power. Though not a fan of his and some other's behavior at the SOTU address Bob is a good man and I like him a lot. His comment that Marjorie Green Taylor "is mainstream" is a bit concerning. :shock: but we don't have to agree on politics to agree on God and LU sports. Play Basketball
#652788
Just John wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 10:35 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 9:43 pm
TH Spangler wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 8:22 pm

He was replaced by a guy who was able to get McCarthy pointed in the right direction. Thank goodness.
You make a lot of assumptions in that statement
Indeed. McCarthy doesn't care about policy, only power. Though not a fan of his and some other's behavior at the SOTU address Bob is a good man and I like him a lot. His comment that Marjorie Green Taylor "is mainstream" is a bit concerning. :shock: but we don't have to agree on politics to agree on God and LU sports. Play Basketball
Politicians generally care more about power than policy.
Bobby had an opportunity to distinguish hims With the crazy Speaker vote stunt. He didn’t. He’s doing a poor job representing the 5th but a good job of flexing his power
#652790
I wonder if they'll be any updates or mention of the upcoming leadership during Comencement in the upcoming month or so? Would be a good time to do so, but as mentioned before, these Falwellites only care about their agendas. If only the exposure of Jr. could've shine the light on the "nest." Just trying to get back on the main topic of this thread :lol:.
User avatar
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
#652792
cruzan_flame13 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:59 pm I wonder if they'll be any updates or mention of the upcoming leadership during Comencement in the upcoming month or so? Would be a good time to do so, but as mentioned before, these Falwellites only care about their agendas. If only the exposure of Jr. could've shine the light on the "nest." Just trying to get back on the main topic of this thread :lol:.
Another possible target for an announcement is the conclusion of the spring board meeting. At least one friend on the presidential search watch said their understanding is that the board meeting is the target event for an announcement. I don't have any way to verify that, so it's a much a possibility as anything else!
User avatar
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
#652793
Let the record show that I am WAY outside the loop these days on these matters. But I was under the impression that the Spring board meeting was a Zoom/Teams deal. That doesn't seem like a setting you would typically unveil the new direction of leadership for an institution. But nothing done in Lynchburg seems to follow convention.
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
#652798
rmiller1959 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 8:33 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:59 pm I wonder if they'll be any updates or mention of the upcoming leadership during Comencement in the upcoming month or so? Would be a good time to do so, but as mentioned before, these Falwellites only care about their agendas. If only the exposure of Jr. could've shine the light on the "nest." Just trying to get back on the main topic of this thread :lol:.
Another possible target for an announcement is the conclusion of the spring board meeting. At least one friend on the presidential search watch said their understanding is that the board meeting is the target event for an announcement. I don't have any way to verify that, so it's a much a possibility as anything else!
I heard basically the same thing, including next Friday as "announcement day".
#652799
ballcoach15 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 10:06 pm
rmiller1959 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 8:33 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:59 pm I wonder if they'll be any updates or mention of the upcoming leadership during Comencement in the upcoming month or so? Would be a good time to do so, but as mentioned before, these Falwellites only care about their agendas. If only the exposure of Jr. could've shine the light on the "nest." Just trying to get back on the main topic of this thread :lol:.
Another possible target for an announcement is the conclusion of the spring board meeting. At least one friend on the presidential search watch said their understanding is that the board meeting is the target event for an announcement. I don't have any way to verify that, so it's a much a possibility as anything else!
I heard basically the same thing, including next Friday as "announcement day".
The day before April Fools...huh :D
ballcoach15 liked this
User avatar
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
#652812
I suspect it will be soon. They will want to leave enough time for Prevo to be honored for the tremendous job he has done (lol) and for patting themselves on the back for making a great replacement selection.
Hard to get atta boys and recognition, when the students leave. 8) 8)
Sly Fox, Baybird, Just John liked this
User avatar
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
#652836
If the first person named in this thread winds up being the new leader, we could have saved the university a ton of money by not hiring CarterBaldwin. And honestly I suspect he would have been up for the challenge in the wake of JLFJR's departure when we began these years in the wilderness of having an unqualified interim seize control to keep the seat warm that funded his golden years.
By rhezick
Posts
#652850
olldflame wrote: March 25th, 2023, 3:11 pm
JK37 wrote: March 25th, 2023, 1:04 pmCostin?
His was in fact the first name mentioned, and 58 pages later, I'm not at all sure a better suggestion has been made.
Agreed, dude looks like a solid hire. Can't think of anyone better. Even if it's him and we wasted all that money by hiring CB, I'm still happy with the result. Better that and a few million down that drain then picking a political windbag.
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#652866
ballcoach15 wrote: August 24th, 2020, 6:15 pm New President has to be a Baptist. Non negotiable.
What do you think BC? 😉

Masters of Divinity from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas. He also holds Doctor of Ministry and Doctor of Philosophy degrees from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky, as well as a Master of Arts in counseling from Liberty University.
Last edited by TH Spangler on March 25th, 2023, 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
#652872
I hope this is true. Costin and Heady were my two choices. Costin checks every box. Apolitical, highly experienced in the academia world being a president at a Christian university and being a former professor at a secular university. Add that he’s a chaplain.
Baybird, rmiller1959 liked this
User avatar
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
#652873
Emily is still in Lynchburg and it would be amazing to get her back into our administration at some point soon.

Nothing is written in stone. Just had two individuals bring up Costin's name to me in the past 48 hours. But let the record show that he would be a home run hire from my perspective. Which is why I am nervous about the announcement. :pray
Baybird, rmiller1959 liked this
User avatar
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
#652883
Purple Haize wrote: March 25th, 2023, 6:16 pm Nothing can stop the US Chair Force! Amirite @thepostman ? :D :D :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dondi_E._Costin
This is the guy I kind of had my eye on from the beginning. The Air Force piece is just a bonus :D

He just makes a lot of sense. Because of that, I ruled him out. The longer it has gone on, the more unlikely it seems. I have heard his name more recently so what do I know?

But he isn't an Army veteran and my go to person on hires says he has to be a Baptist, wear a suit always, and be a retired Army officer. From what I can tell, he only fills 1 of 3 of those requirements. So he's out! :lol:
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
#652947
While I don't think the role of "President" fits her resume... KSP just became available, and I certainly think she could be a good fit on a leadership team. She is exactly the type of person we should have never let go (probably not the right phrase for what happened).
Baybird, rmiller1959, Sly Fox and 1 others liked this
  • 1
  • 56
  • 57
  • 58
  • 59
  • 60
  • 61
Oklahoma tournament

I think she's just "throwing ", not &quo[…]

SPRING GAME

Our Spring Game is tomorrow--Saturday, March 2. Ga[…]

5 plus 7 model

The pac-2 held out for awhile but was offered […]

2023-2024 season

The season isn’t over. We dropped to 90 in t[…]