If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 8:16 pm I'm curious if the SEC would even take either program right away if they could get out of the GORs soon. I'm sure South Carolina and Florida would lobby hard against either program joining and it doesn't bring new markets to the SEC network. The league has had plenty of opportunities to take either school over the years and yet they remain in the ACC. Either FSU and Clemson have already contacted the SEC and know they have a home there in the future or they are playing a very dangerous game of chicken with the ACC. The big ten won't take them and the other P5s can't offer anymore than the ACC can.
The bigger a conference gets, the less power an in-state rival has. If FSU and Clemson bring the eyeballs to TV screens and increase the amount of $$$ per school despite their addition, they'll get in.
alabama24 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The dynamics today are very different than when FSU headed to the ACC and South Carolina joined the SEC. And the factors that drove both of those decisions are no longer as significant today as back in the day.

Florida is likely fine with FSU joining the league and South Carolina may not be thrilled but would offer little resistance. Think Texas A&M when UT/OU were brought in.

If FSU and Clemson find a way out, all heck breaks loose. And once again, from a Liberty perspective it would happen too soon.

I have seen references to us a possible candidate for several other leagues on some of the boards that I frequent tied to other schools in the mix out west. This got me to thinking. Would we be amenable to a primarily western league like the MWC? Their new commish has been vocal the past few days about any expansion being primarily focused in Central & Eastern time zones for earlier game content for networks. It would most certainly be an athletic upgrade and position us for higher TV visibility than what we have in CUSA. TV revenue would most certainly go up but so would travel costs.

I know that this may sound preposterous to some of our East Coast-centric posters. But it may be a viable option if certain dominoes fall a particular direction. And we would likely be part of a larger contingent under any Eastern expansion. Just some food for thought.
ATrain liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 2:49 pm The dynamics today are very different than when FSU headed to the ACC and South Carolina joined the SEC. And the factors that drove both of those decisions are no longer as significant today as back in the day.

Florida is likely fine with FSU joining the league and South Carolina may not be thrilled but would offer little resistance. Think Texas A&M when UT/OU were brought in.

If FSU and Clemson find a way out, all heck breaks loose. And once again, from a Liberty perspective it would happen too soon.

I have seen references to us a possible candidate for several other leagues on some of the boards that I frequent tied to other schools in the mix out west. This got me to thinking. Would we be amenable to a primarily western league like the MWC? Their new commish has been vocal the past few days about any expansion being primarily focused in Central & Eastern time zones for earlier game content for networks. It would most certainly be an athletic upgrade and position us for higher TV visibility than what we have in CUSA. TV revenue would most certainly go up but so would travel costs.

I know that this may sound preposterous to some of our East Coast-centric posters. But it may be a viable option if certain dominoes fall a particular direction. And we would likely be part of a larger contingent under any Eastern expansion. Just some food for thought.
If they go big and look east to try and leap frog the AAC I could see teams like WKU, Coastal, App, JMU, ODU, Marshall being interested. Maybe even Army.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/report ... ues-future
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 2:49 pm The dynamics today are very different than when FSU headed to the ACC and South Carolina joined the SEC. And the factors that drove both of those decisions are no longer as significant today as back in the day.

I can always use an excuse to fly, and I've never been to Idaho or Wyoming, so going to games at Boise State and Wyoming would be fun! The question is - who else would they want out East?

You are correct that travel costs would rise, but I'm sure we'd be willing to spend $2M in travel if it meant $5M in revenue. Our Olympic sports already travel extensively for non-conference action.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
When you say there is “nothing to gain”, you’re thinking only of yourself. As in, there’s nothing for YOU to gain. But don’t be so quick to count out such an idea.
ATrain liked this
By Ill flame
The average fan could probably name more MWC teams than any other G5 conference. The other conferences with the exception of the MAC have gone through so many changes I can hardly keep up. Joining the MWC would be a clear upgrade and worth the extra travel but this is peak message board speculation.
ATrain liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Exit fees would be a significant impediment to many schools that the MWC might target. It should be noted that exit fees from the MWC are also ridiculously steep thanks to former commish Craig Thompson. They are projected at about $16M.

Being a western league, they are not large market-obsessed like the AAC even though they do currently have some large markets. Here are the current market sizes for the league:

6. San Jose State (San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose)
16. Colorado State (Denver)
27. San Diego State (San Diego)
30. Utah State (Salt Lake City)
40. UNLV (Las Vegas)
48. New Mexico (Albuquerque/Santa Fe)
55. Fresno State (Fresno/Visalia)
67. Hawaii (Honolulu)
82. Air Force Academy (Colorado Springs)
101. Boise State (Boise)
104. Nevada (Reno)
192. Wyoming (Casper/Riverton)

By comparison, here are some potential targets for the league:

1. Army (New York City)
3. Northern Illinois (Chicago)
4. Delaware (Philadelphia)
5. SMU (Dallas/Fort Worth)
7. Georgia State (Atlanta)
8. Rice (Houston)
8. Sam Houston State (Houston)
18. FIU (Miami)
22. App State (Charlotte)
28. Navy (Baltimore)
29. MTSU (Nashville)
38. Texas State (Austin)
50. Tulane (New Orleans)
71. Liberty (Roanoke/Lynchburg)
93. UTEP (El Paso/Las Cruces)
93. NM State (El Paso/Las Cruces)
109. South Dakota State (Sioux Falls)
114. North Dakota State (Fargo)
143. Louisiana Tech (Monroe)
161. Montana (Missoula)
179. WKU (Bowling Green)
185. Montana State (Butte/Bozeman)

Some schools like the academies would likely be football-only deals if Nevarez' dreams could be realized. Realistically those are significant longshots. Obviously several of the above schools could be involved with a reorganized Pac-12. But I am just laying out some potential demographic possibilities even if their geographical challenges would be an impediment.

In case you were wondering, the current MWC contract runs through the 2025-2026 season with CBS Sports Network and Fox. Boise State gets additional media revenue for the final time unless negotiated otherwise based on the last contract. They obviously have less bargaining power now than they did back when they were regularly in NY6 bowl games.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
When she says Eastern markets I think of these.

1. Army (New York City)
4. Delaware (Philadelphia)
7. Georgia State (Atlanta)
18. FIU (Miami)
22. App State (Charlotte)
28. Navy (Baltimore)
71. Liberty (Roanoke/Lynchburg)
179. WKU (Bowling Green)
Maybe UConn
LUOrange liked this
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
The MWC currently has 12 members. If they wanted to have an eastern footprint, you would think 4 or 8 would be a good number. That way you could somewhat limit cross country trips on a regular basis. Maybe we could market a package of MTSU, WKU, NMSU, UTEP,LA Tech, FIU, and someone else to make 8. I would assume SBC teams would pass based on travel or a desire for AAC.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote:The MWC currently has 12 members. If they wanted to have an eastern footprint, you would think 4 or 8 would be a good number. That way you could somewhat limit cross country trips on a regular basis. Maybe we could market a package of MTSU, WKU, NMSU, UTEP,LA Tech, FIU, and someone else to make 8. I would assume SBC teams would pass based on travel or a desire for AAC.
11. Hawaii is football only.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is correct to point out that once you get west of the Mississippi there is scant population outside of metro areas. That's not just El Paso which incidentally has well over a million folks sitting within 5-10 miles of the UTEP campus across the Rio Grande that do not count in market size. East Coast markets tend to be amalgamations of small cities that combined add up to larger markets. Hence Roanoke and Lynchburg combining with other small cities lie Danville gets such a large market. 50k acre ranches don't add much in population.

And even market sizes are not truly indicative of situations. San Jose State is down in San Jose and gets practically no media coverage whatsoever. Colorado State is an hour north of Denver in Fort Collins. Utah State is an hour and a half north of SLC. It is a similar situation for schools like Delaware and App State. Although the Blue Hens sit squarely between two massive markets in Philly & B-more that are both relatively commutable.

The appeal of LU to the MWC and other leagues is our broader base of alumni and our budget. And geography works in our favor as well which is not something you regularly hear in regard to our candidacy with higher level leagues. It is likely our biggest impediment to membership outside of Prevo and the JLFJR baggage.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote: March 4th, 2023, 6:53 pm The MWC currently has 12 members. If they wanted to have an eastern footprint, you would think 4 or 8 would be a good number. That way you could somewhat limit cross country trips on a regular basis. Maybe we could market a package of MTSU, WKU, NMSU, UTEP,LA Tech, FIU, and someone else to make 8. I would assume SBC teams would pass based on travel or a desire for AAC.
Liberty and Army are the first two I think of. Then WKU, MTSU and UConn. SBC school are probably not interested.

There's some talk about 8 ACC schools forming a voting block and somehow getting around GoR. Basically disband the ACC and form their own new confidence. Lawyers working OT.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Since they are local for me and I know some of those involved in their athletics department, I follow the Sam Houston message board. A poster on there claims that CUSA was doing a site visit to Tarleton State and that the university was rolling out artist renderings of a new arena fresh off a football stadium expansion:

As a Texan, I have zero interest in adding the Tarleton Texans or even Stephen F Austin. But thought it was interesting enough to pass along. Tarleton is part of the Texas A&M system while SFA recently was added to the UT system. Expect both to receive facility upgrades as a result.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Note the upper deck. The A&M system has two schools that theoretically serve the DFW market. Texas A&M-Commerce east of Dallas and Tarleton State southwest of Fort Worth. Neither are in the market but A&M regents are working hard to elevate their notoriety in a space where where the UT system has two strong schools inside the Metroplex: UT Arlington (UTA) and UT Dallas. The former has DI athletics and the latter has the best engineering program in the DFW area after being started by Texas Instruments and sold to the state.

Bottom line, the Texas A&M system is ponying up to boost Tarleton State in the cowboy country backwater of Stephenville to be a UTA competitor. Tarleton is still transitioning from D2 but just got a stadium expansion set to open this fall at 24k. The folks at Sam Houston State are jealous of all the money getting poured into Tarleton for a school with no distinguishable attributes beyond being an hour so from Fort Worth in the West Texas desert. Sam has a new medical school and a rising academic profile but no access to the funds from the two primary university systems in the state. Sam is in the Texas State System along with Texas State University and some other colleges primarily at the D2 level. Stephen F Austin just made a dating show out of having all three systems court them before announcing a couple of months ago they were joining the UT system based on promises of investments from the UT fund driven by Permian royalties.

Why is any of this important to LU? Because Tarleton State and SFA are considered to be the top two candidates for CUSA expansion along with Missouri State and Chattanooga. All are now FCS programs and the latter two of shown little interest in joining CUSA up to this point.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
A slew of great content on the Pac-12/Big XII situation coming out now that the league tourneys are over these past couple of days:

The Athletic wrote:Arizona president Robert C. Robbins: Pac-12 media deal will be ‘better’ than Big 12’s

By Stewart Mandel
Mar 15, 2023

In a wide-ranging 50-minute interview Wednesday, Arizona President Robert C. Robbins said he expects the Pac-12 to finalize a media rights deal “within the next couple of weeks,” and that he believes the dollar figure will be “better” than the Big 12’s recent extension with ESPN and Fox worth $31.7 million per school annually.
Click Here for Full Story

The State wrote:ASU PRESIDENT TALKS PAC-12 MEDIA RIGHTS, CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT, COYOTES VOTE
University President Michael Crow told The State Press media rights negotiations are 'in the final stages,' and that the school is committed to the Pac-12

By Piper Hansen and Alex Wakefield | March 14, 2023 | 10:10pm MST

ASU President Michael Crow said Pac-12 media rights negotiations are in the final stages and that the school is committed to playing in the Pac-12 conference in a meeting Tuesday with The State Press.
Outkick wrote:UTAH ‘LEADING’ THE CHARGE TO SAVE THE PAC-12: REPORT

by DAVID HOOKSTEAD
March 12, 2023, 5:49 am
updated March 12, 2023, 11:16 am

A surprising team might be leading the fight to keep the PAC-12 together: the Utah Utes.

The PAC-12 is clinging to life as commissioner George Kliavkoff continues to fail to land a new media. With every day that passes without a new deal, the Big 12 starts to look more and more tempting.

The fact Oregon and Washington also reportedly believe the Big Ten is waiting for them only complicates the situation.

+++++++++

Time now for some reading of the tea leaves, so to speak. Here is where I see things standing as of today:

IF the Pac-12 media deal comes to the table in a reasonably acceptable number with a majority of games on linear networks, the league stays together and likely invites SDSU & SMU. I am highly suspicious of this scenario and we should find out in the next week or so.

HOWEVER if the Pac-12 media deal comes to the table less than the schools were expecting with the majority of games on Apple+ and/or Amazon Prime Video then dominoes start dropping fairly quickly. And perhaps most significantly there will be no Grant of Rights signed by the league due to several schools holding out. UDub & Oregon aren't shackling themselves to an albatross with B1G possibilities still lingering.

I think at this stage the most likely situation is that Arizona and Colorado will bolt to the Big XII with either a combo of SDSU/Gonzaga or potentially Arizona State & Utah if desperation sets into the Four Corners. Both Zona & CU covet the Texan market for students and athletes. Don't you think Coach Prime values connections to Texas & Florida more than Cali? And he has more sway in that athletic department than most any other coach across the nation today. That might open the door for Army to join as a football-only member to support Gonzaga as a non-football member. That would obviously create chaos on the realignment scene. And experience tells me having covered the SWC & Big XII realignments of the past that rash decisions are made that are often regretted with hindsight.

This is pure speculation on my part. But I have been following realignment for over three decades as both a media member and enthusiast. I find this all fascinating, as I suspect others do as well.

Once again, it is in Liberty's best interests for there to be no seismic shifts in the landscape until we are on better footing as an institution. But is worthy enough of note for us to be following closely.
By BlueBlood
Was it already mentioned on here that LU men’s soccer found a home in the OVC?

So -
M Soccer - OVC
W Lacrosse - ASUN
Field Hockey - Big East
By LUOrange
BlueBlood wrote: March 20th, 2023, 11:24 am Was it already mentioned on here that LU men’s soccer found a home in the OVC?

So -
M Soccer - OVC
W Lacrosse - ASUN
Field Hockey - Big East
I hadn't seen it anywhere. McCaw mentioned on the Liberty podcast last week that they'd announce the home for Men's soccer soon. I guess OVC is good? I think Men's soccer is our weakest sport. Any ideas on how we'd do?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: March 20th, 2023, 1:15 pm
BlueBlood wrote: March 20th, 2023, 11:24 am Was it already mentioned on here that LU men’s soccer found a home in the OVC?

So -
M Soccer - OVC
W Lacrosse - ASUN
Field Hockey - Big East
I hadn't seen it anywhere. McCaw mentioned on the Liberty podcast last week that they'd announce the home for Men's soccer soon. I guess OVC is good? I think Men's soccer is our weakest sport. Any ideas on how we'd do?
It all depends who is best a faking injuries isn't it? Maybe we should have our soccer players mentored by the Arts Department. :lol:
LUOrange liked this
By BlueBlood
It looks like it is a new sport for the OVC. Their current soccer-playing schools are Eastern Illinois, Lindenwood, SIU Edwardsville and Southern Indiana. So, I guess it's us, them and another affiliate or two. Doesn't sound too daunting.
LUOrange liked this
By BlueBlood
OVC is an interesting landing spot. You have to think that Ian first inquired about just keeping men's soccer in the ASUN, or seeking affiliate membership in the American, Big East or SBC (or any of the geographically-closer smaller conferences). The OVC feels like a last resort situation. Then again, if men's soccer really is one of LU's weaker sports, maybe this is a decent spot to be in.
LUOrange liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:09 am OVC is an interesting landing spot. You have to think that Ian first inquired about just keeping men's soccer in the ASUN, or seeking affiliate membership in the American, Big East or SBC (or any of the geographically-closer smaller conferences). The OVC feels like a last resort situation. Then again, if men's soccer really is one of LU's weaker sports, maybe this is a decent spot to be in.
It is interesting, considering the ASUN is letting women's lacrosse stay. You'd think we could get a spot in the Big East with field hockey for all 3 sports, but considering neither has had the success that field hockey has...
LUOrange liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]