If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Since the season is over, I figure it's probably okay to start a thread on where the LU GOAT goes from here. Does he have a shot at the NBA Draft? Does he play in the summer league and earn a spot on a roster? Or does he go overseas? I was just curious if there was any media out there on him, so I ran a Google search and came across the below article from a few months ago.

https://phenomhoopreport.com/why-darius ... portunity/
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
His situation reminds me of an old Big South foe Chris Clemons from Campbell. An undersized but deadly sharpshooter who went undrafted but went to summer camp and eventually worked his way onto the Rockets bouncing back and forth with the G-League. I could see Darius taking a similar route. Chris eventually landed in China this past year where he is making a very nice living.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Are we calling Darius the undisputed GOAT?

(I like the stir the pot!)
I honestly didn't think there was any serious debate about this, but I am happy to have it... :dontgetit :wink:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Statistically, without looking, I would bet DM wins the argument. And stats don’t tell the whole story. Alston was legit. Aluma was big time. Nuwosu is in the conversation. Hess has stats in a different era. Carl Williams was as talented as anyone the mountain has seen, but was surrounded by a terrible team and a wonky head coach, God love him. The latest in the G league from the last ncaa run was talented!

Who was the high scoring guard RD had 03-07? Drawing a blank on the name.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Statistically, without looking, I would bet DM wins the argument. And stats don’t tell the whole story. Alston was legit. Aluma was big time. Nuwosu is in the conversation. Hess has stats in a different era. Carl Williams was as talented as anyone the mountain has seen, but was surrounded by a terrible team and a wonky head coach, God love him. The latest in the G league from the last ncaa run was talented!

Who was the high scoring guard RD had 03-07? Drawing a blank on the name.
Stats don't tell the whole story... but the era McGhee played in saw us play our toughest schedules/competition in our history as a program. Providing that context to the statistical argument kind of seems hard to argue against. Think of the teams he put up huge numbers against over the past 5 years and then watch his highlights and see the level of difficulty of the shots he was hitting... imho the eye test seems hard to argue against as well.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
DM is in the conversation without any question. You can beef on Bailey's competition because we had just transitioned into Division I. But honestly the level of competition from Aluma to present really hasn't changed substantially IMHO. The overall quality of our roster has upgraded to a great degree under Coach McKay. Since many of Bailey's teammates are friends of mine including Scar, I will be careful in how I describe that the caliber of athletes we are bringing in today that they would likely acknowledge are a step ahead of back in the day. Bailey would have been just as effective if not more so in today's game. And he didn't have the green light from behind the arc that today's players enjoy. Most of his scoring was two at a time.

Back to Darius' future. Anyone who can shoot like him will have years of paychecks for playing the game in his future. Whether that turns out to be in the Association or overseas is yet to be determined. But I am proud to have him representing my alma mater wherever he lands.
LUOrange, Baybird, Just John liked this
By LUOrange
IMO, the League and Association are very weird in how they select their rosters, especially from lesser known athletes from smaller schools. Then throw in Darius's size and he has an uphill climb to land and stay in the Association. But if anyone can make it from LU, it's Darius. He'll make a great representative of the University and the Faith.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I don't think he gets drafted, but he gets a contract to play in G-League and hopefully plays into a 2-way contract. He is small and defense will be a huge issue, but the guy can create his own shot and shoot it from anywhere. He also has a quick first step and can finish at the rim...

He will probably end up in Europe making good money, but man would I love to see him have a shot in the NBA.
LUOrange liked this
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
After watching the other 5'8 star at Kansas State (Marquise Nowell) and the way they are talking about him making the league, I believe Darius has a good shot to make it. Darius has a better shot selection and a higher basketball IQ. Not taking anything away from Nowell-still is a great player.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jack_sparrow81 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:25 pm After watching the other 5'8 star at Kansas State (Marquise Nowell) and the way they are talking about him making the league, I believe Darius has a good shot to make it. Darius has a better shot selection and a higher basketball IQ. Not taking anything away from Nowell-still is a great player.
What? Nowell has a basketball IQ off the charts. He’s strong than Darius and a better ball handler. Darius is probably a little better shooter and I’d say a little faster. But Nowell has skills that would transfer to the NBA better than Darius. But I’m not sure either of them make it
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]