If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The portal today is LOADED with big men. 7-footers seem to be a dime a dozen if we decide to chase another big man. Much like football, this year the portal is featuring more top performers leaving than even a year ago. I am sure Coach McKay and his staff are all over it as best they can be while preparing for Wis-KAHHHN-sin.
By LUOrange
I imaging McGhee and Bergraff's spots are taken by Blair and Yu. So that leaves Rode, Robinson, & Preston's spots. Most likely Rode and Robison come back. So the questions are- is Preston going to return? And is anyone else going to hit the portal?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Bergraff was a walk on but I don’t think Jackson is going to transfer after pulling his name from the portal last year. I can see Spell transferring, if Sutherland passes him on the depth chart. I also think Rode is coming back for a 5th.

So we can possibly have 2/3 scholarships open. Hopefully Ritchie can land an athletic scoring big and wing.
By sstaedtler
Portal guys we have been in contact with I've seen. Houser already committed to Delaware.

1. Russell Dean 6-5 guard from Hampton (this one I don't get)
2. Tyler Houser, 6-9 Center from VMI
3. Josh Cohen, 6-10 Forward, St. Francis
4. Mike Meadows, 6-2 Guard, Portland
5. Bradley Dean, 6-2 Guard, UVA Wise
6. Justin Wright, 6-2 Guard, NC Central
7. Coleton Benson, 6-1 Guard, Army
8. Rasheed Bello, 6-0 Guard, Parkside (D2)
9. Messiah Jones, Wofford, 6-6 Forward
Liberty_2023 liked this
By Liberty_2023
Obviously, fitting into the Liberty Basketball culture and system is the most important, but I feel like the top priority should be a tall center or tall power forward over another guard. (By tall, I mean taller than 6'7 because we have lots of 6'7, lol).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: March 18th, 2023, 2:29 pm He was on scholly this year as well.
Bergraff benefitted twice due the late transfer of a player when it was not possible to recruit a replacement. First Drake Dobbs and then DJ Moore. A lot of schools/ coaches will just hold onto the schollie to save money under those circumstances. Ritchie has always given them to a walkon he feels is deserving for reasons apart from their basketball talent.
LUOrange liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I think we will see a Hildebrand as the walk on next year.

I think Preston goes pro - Europe.

I think Kyle comes back (I Hope)

I let Shiloh go and pick up someone in portal. I would love an athletic 6'11 Center that can shoot outside please...

I'm not sure I love our potential starting lineup yet, but know that we are good hands with McKay. He'll figure it out and we will be competitive. Might need at least one year to get back to Tournament level.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: March 20th, 2023, 2:08 pm I would love an athletic 6'11 Center that can shoot outside please...
I’d take 2 out of 3. Any big that’s all 3 of those should be transferring to the NBA.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 20th, 2023, 3:19 pm
prototype wrote: March 20th, 2023, 2:08 pm I would love an athletic 6'11 Center that can shoot outside please...
I’d take 2 out of 3. Any big that’s all 3 of those should be transferring to the NBA.
:lol: I was gonna say…. WOULDNT EVERYONE?!
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I said it in jest - knowing there aren't many like that. I know we have a 7 footer coming in, but he doesn't look fast to me or that he prefers the post. I like Preston, just need someone an inch taller that can do what he did - protect the rim, set screens and occasionally roll towards the basket.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: March 20th, 2023, 2:08 pm I think we will see a Hildebrand as the walk on next year.

I let Shiloh go and pick up someone in portal. I would love an athletic 6'11 Center that can shoot outside please...

I'm not sure I love our potential starting lineup yet, but know that we are good hands with McKay. He'll figure it out and we will be competitive. Might need at least one year to get back to Tournament level.
The arrival of a talented transfer and/or early contributions from a Freshman could change things, but looking at who is returning, I see Warfield being in the starting lineup. Obviously, we take a huge hit in offensive production there, which will need to be made up by others, but it will make us much longer on the perimeter. I think we have a chance to be as good as we have ever been on defense. Maybe better.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 21st, 2023, 7:11 am
prototype wrote: March 20th, 2023, 2:08 pm I think we will see a Hildebrand as the walk on next year.

The arrival of a talented transfer and/or early contributions from a Freshman could change things, but looking at who is returning, I see Warfield being in the starting lineup. Obviously, we take a huge hit in offensive production there, which will need to be made up by others, but it will make us much longer on the perimeter. I think we have a chance to be as good as we have ever been on defense. Maybe better.
I agree with this. Also, remember Warfield was a scorer in High School. Maybe - he can build some confidence this off season and show why he was one of Liberty's highest rated recruits....
By LUOrange
I think we'll see and need more offense out of Warfield and Venzant, and I think both are very capable of providing it. We do need another ballhandler/PG to provide Porter with some relief. But I'm looking and hoping for more consistent PT for Peebles, Spell, and Jackson.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We have guys with handles particular if Rode comes back and with our incoming PG.

I agree that both Warfield & Venzant have shown offensive flashes in spurts. We just need them to be more willing to step into opportunities and not defer quite so quickly. Both remain crazy valuable on the defensive end.

Our Chinese import remains a huge question mark so I would love to see a big emerge from the portal. There are plenty of them out here right now. I trust Coach McKay to find the right fit.
Baybird liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 21st, 2023, 3:45 pm Can anyone find anything anywhere on our friend Kai Yu?
Just this, which you have probably already seen.

Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]