This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUOrange
flameshaw wrote: March 19th, 2023, 3:10 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 19th, 2023, 2:35 pm
ballah09 wrote: March 18th, 2023, 11:16 am You really said Bob Good. Yuck. .
He could rig another election and get the job. It’s worked befor for him
Lol. Link? Proof? Or just your opinion? If you only knew.
You don't remember the "drive-through convention" at Tree of Life that Bob & Friends held in order to take the GOP nomination from Riggleman?
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
LUOrange wrote: March 19th, 2023, 3:51 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 19th, 2023, 2:35 pm

He could rig another election and get the job. It’s worked befor for him
You don't remember the "drive-through convention" at Tree of Life that Bob & Friends held in order to take the GOP nomination from Riggleman?
Boom!

Still waiting to vote in a Primary…. I
LUOrange liked this
Why limit yourself if you want a Political figure? Why not look at LCA grads? Steve Newman has LCA roots and is the same age as Jonathon. So young and a long shelf life!
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 19th, 2023, 3:58 pm

Boom!

As I understand it, the Republican Party nominates their candidates at a convention, not through a primary. If Riggleman had the votes in the convention, he would have won the nomination, just like BG, but he didn't.
Both candidates were given equal opportunity. No laws were broken. Jr's drinking buddy, just got beat. Waaaaaaaaa
flamehunter liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: March 19th, 2023, 9:06 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 19th, 2023, 3:58 pm

Boom!

As I understand it, the Republican Party nominates their candidates at a convention, not through a primary. If Riggleman had the votes in the convention, he would have won the nomination, just like BG, but he didn't.
Both candidates were given equal opportunity. No laws were broken. Jr's drinking buddy, just got beat. Waaaaaaaaa
No laws were broken, but it was a political calculation that Bob Good knew would favor him over Denver Riggleman. Both parties typically choose their nominees through a state-run primary, but the parties have the option of a convention instead. The state funds the primary, but the party funds the convention. Conventions favor the activists at the farthest end of that party's political spectrum because they are the most likely to participate, while primaries are the most inclusive and competitive. A party convention held in one's backyard is as close to a guarantee as you can get in politics of a nomination. It's not illegal; whether unethical or unfair is in the eye of the beholder. :wink:
Purple Haize liked this
What is right is not always legal. What is legal is not always right. He absolutely manipulated the system to secure an unfair advantage. Illegal? No. Shady? Absolutely. So whenever he brings up the2020 Presidential Election it’s very disingenuous
rmiller1959, LUOrange liked this
JK37 wrote: March 20th, 2023, 9:22 am Wasn’t Riggleman selected by the same means a few years prior?
By a Convention, yes. But it wasn’t manipulated in the manner of the 2020 one.
I still prefer a Primary
LUOrange, Baybird liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 20th, 2023, 9:22 am Wasn’t Riggleman selected by the same means a few years prior?
Riggleman was selected by a 5th District GOP committee comprised of party chairs and other leaders; it was convened in response to incumbent Tom Garrett's decision in May of an election year not to seek reelection due to his struggles with alcoholism. They wouldn't have had time to set up a primary or a typical convention open to 5th District GOP voters. It took four rounds of secret ballots to narrow the candidates to two, and Riggleman was selected on the fifth ballot. The committee's composition was more diverse than a convention in the middle of one candidate's home base. The candidate Riggleman defeated, Cynthia Dunbar, was probably more aligned with Bob's Good political ideology than Riggleman, who even then was known to be more libertarian.
LUOrange, Baybird liked this
By LUOrange
Not trying to get into the local political weeds too much, but Bob's local party friends are very shady and unethical when it comes to Party operations and how they treated internal party opposition. Can't say that Bob is/was, but he certainly has benefitted from their actions. That drive-through convention nonsense was ridiculous and was set-up to favor Bob with low turnout. A higher turnout at the time definitely favored Riggleman. Bob was also an awful and combative member of the Campbell County Board of Supervisors as well. However, his combative style is much more appropriate for Washington than it ever was for Rustburg. I'll add that I'm not a fan of Riggleman or Good. But Bob is probably the better congressman at this point. I just don't want him anywhere near the President's Office at Liberty.

Steve Newman would be a very good choice in demeanor and political/work experience. However, I don't think he has the academic credentials or background. I want our next president to have the same Christian and political balance of Dr. Falwell, but with the added priority of improving our academics. He can be a former politician or preacher, but he needs to be qualified, have the proper demeanor, and be mission first.
flamehunter, Baybird liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: March 20th, 2023, 10:16 am Not trying to get into the local political weeds too much, but Bob's local party friends are very shady and unethical when it comes to Party operations and how they treated internal party opposition. Can't say that Bob is/was, but he certainly has benefitted from their actions. That drive-through convention nonsense was ridiculous and was set-up to favor Bob with low turnout. A higher turnout at the time definitely favored Riggleman. Bob was also an awful and combative member of the Campbell County Board of Supervisors as well. However, his combative style is much more appropriate for Washington than it ever was for Rustburg. I'll add that I'm not a fan of Riggleman or Good. But Bob is probably the better congressman at this point. I just don't want him anywhere near the President's Office at Liberty.

Steve Newman would be a very good choice in demeanor and political/work experience. However, I don't think he has the academic credentials or background. I want our next president to have the same Christian and political balance of Dr. Falwell, but with the added priority of improving our academics. He can be a former politician or preacher, but he needs to be qualified, have the proper demeanor, and be mission first.
Did Bob G decide on a drive-through convention? Wasn't it done because of Covid? Did Bob decide/manipulate where the Convention was to take place? Weren't all of the delegates free to drop off their ballots at the same location? And as already stated wasn't DW elected the same way just two years before?
Bob Good aside, to me it didn't matter who ran against DW, I would have preferred that person. If for no other reason than the relationship between DW and Jr. being less than ideal. IMHO
By LUOrange
Good's faction decided on that drive through nonsense. So, yes he did. That drive-through nonsense was used for the same purpose that the Democrats used for mail-in ballots. There's really no difference in what happened here, and you can't justify this just because the "republicans" did it. They had plenty of fair and justifiable alternative options to that fiasco. I'm not a fan of nominating conventions, but Riggleman was nominated in an actual convention. Not some fiasco designed to discouraged folks fromvoting by having them drive clear across the state to drop off a ballot.
Purple Haize liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: March 20th, 2023, 1:25 pm
LUOrange wrote: March 20th, 2023, 10:16 am Not trying to get into the local political weeds too much, but Bob's local party friends are very shady and unethical when it comes to Party operations and how they treated internal party opposition. Can't say that Bob is/was, but he certainly has benefitted from their actions. That drive-through convention nonsense was ridiculous and was set-up to favor Bob with low turnout. A higher turnout at the time definitely favored Riggleman. Bob was also an awful and combative member of the Campbell County Board of Supervisors as well. However, his combative style is much more appropriate for Washington than it ever was for Rustburg. I'll add that I'm not a fan of Riggleman or Good. But Bob is probably the better congressman at this point. I just don't want him anywhere near the President's Office at Liberty.

Did Bob G decide on a drive-through convention? Wasn't it done because of Covid? Did Bob decide/manipulate where the Convention was to take place? Weren't all of the delegates free to drop off their ballots at the same location? And as already stated wasn't DW elected the same way just two years before?
Bob Good aside, to me it didn't matter who ran against DW, I would have preferred that person. If for no other reason than the relationship between DW and Jr. being less than ideal. IMHO
1) The drive-through convention was due to COVID restrictions.

2) The 5th District GOP committee had several Bob Good campaign consultants who argued in favor of a convention rather than a primary. No rule prevents campaign consultants from serving on the GOP committee.

3) The location of the drive-through convention was closer to Bob Good's home base, the Lynchburg metropolitan area, than Riggleman's. The 5th District is the largest congressional district in VA and larger than New Jersey. Riggleman and his supporters said the convention's location made traveling inconvenient for GOP voters from Charlottesville and nearby localities. No rule mandates the location of a convention as long as it's in the district. Also, Tree of Life Ministries hosted a VA GOP convention in 2018, although there was no candidate nomination because the incumbent, then-U.S. Rep. Tom Garrett, was unopposed.

4) When Tom Garrett resigned in late May 2018, the 37 Virginia 5th District GOP Committee members selected Denver Riggleman as the nominee after multiple ballots. It wasn't a convention where delegates from across the district could vote. They met at Nelson County High School for the vote.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 8:37 am Anyone who conducts a homosexual wedding is unfit for Congress.
So you agree with 90% of his policies but officiating a civil ceremony for a person who worked for him is your deal breaker.
This is why it’s so difficult for Republicans to win and hold majorities
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 10:35 am
ballcoach15 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 8:37 am Anyone who conducts a homosexual wedding is unfit for Congress.
So you agree with 90% of his policies but officiating a civil ceremony for a person who worked for him is your deal breaker.
Probably 99.9% of his constituents are against homosexual marriage.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 10:35 am
It's the Barry Goldwater conundrum:

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible dang problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

You see the same uncompromising stances on the far left, but they don't have as much control over the party.
Goldwater was a chump anyway. lol

I'm a 2 Kingdoms person myself, but advocating for certain moral positions does not make it an overstep of "religion" in public life. Don't kill babies, you are either male or female, and marriage has always been in human history, a man and woman. Everything else is up for debate really.

Officiating the civil ceremony does not make him unfit for congress per se, but it certainly makes him unfit for any leadership role at Liberty.
LUOrange liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Have_a_Gansett_2011 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 1:21 pm Goldwater was a chump anyway. lol

I'm a 2 Kingdoms person myself, but advocating for certain moral positions does not make it an overstep of "religion" in public life. Don't kill babies, you are either male or female, and marriage has always been in human history, a man and woman. Everything else is up for debate really.

Officiating the civil ceremony does not make him unfit for congress per se, but it certainly makes him unfit for any leadership role at Liberty.
I don't believe anyone was proposing him for a leadership role at Liberty. I think the discussion was about Bob Good as a potential LU presidential candidate and evolved into examining his tactics during the 2020 Virginia GOP primary.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]