If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: March 19th, 2023, 1:51 pm Whatever happened to Richie doubling bigs? At this point that’s the only way we’re going to stop them.
Yeah. I’m not sure. It’s obvious he’s not going to so it’s his game plan. Maybe if it comes down to a last possession he will spring it
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Wow. That was a great look that did everything but go down
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
He normally doubles skilled bigs so I don’t know why he didn’t do it this game. Bad coaching because they absolutely got destroyed in the paint.

Also I hope Preston doesn’t use his COVID year. He’s bad, Ritchie needs to get a legit big. Until he does, we won’t win games like this.
Last edited by ballah09 on March 19th, 2023, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flameshaw liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Proud of our guys, proud of they way they represented, seniors will be missed but the program is solid, future is bright, ready to renew season tickets, all is good, ...........hate to lose to those thugs!
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Get real, without Preston this year we probably would not even be the NIT! What a dunderhead comment to make right after a loss like this. You suck as a fan!
LUOrange liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: March 19th, 2023, 2:10 pm He normally doubles skilled bigs so I don’t know why he didn’t didn’t do it this game. Bad coaching because they absolutely got destroyed in the paint.

Also I hope Preston doesn’t use his COVID year. He’s bad, Ritchie needs to get a legit big. Until he does, we won’t win games like this.
Get real, without Preston this year we probably would not even be the NIT! What a dunderhead comment to make right after a loss like this. You suck as a fan!
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: March 19th, 2023, 2:10 pm He normally doubles skilled bigs so I don’t know why he didn’t didn’t do it this game. Bad coaching because they absolutely got destroyed in the paint.

LU definitely needs to upgrade their front line. Kyle improved a bunch this season. But he’s got a ways to go. Cleveland looks to have a lot of potential.
Dalegarz1, Baybird, ballah09 liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: March 19th, 2023, 2:23 pm

Lol you serious? The dude is bad.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Preston is horrible. How about that foul almost at half court to let them take the lead with about 2 minutes to go. Hands of stone and the skills of an expert bricklayer.
ballah09 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 19th, 2023, 2:32 pm

LU definitely needs to upgrade their front line. Kyle improved a bunch this season. But he’s got a ways to go. Cleveland looks to have a lot of potential.
Beyond athletics and skill, Cleveland has a nastiness we haven’t had. He’s bumping, pulling, and grabbing all game. He’s going to really get under some skin next year. The type of guy you love on your team and hate on anyone else’s.
flameshaw, ballah09, LUOrange and 2 others liked this
By Tnobes
Racenut wrote: March 19th, 2023, 2:23 pm

Preston and Warfield are liabilities every time they step on the court. Shiloh makes dumb plays too (what's he doing shooting threes?) But at least Shiloh makes good plays and hustle plays also.
JK37 liked this
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 19th, 2023, 2:14 pm We would have taken this one at home. On to next season. Well play game. 👍
Highly likely. Good game all around. McGee was the best guy on the court. But our bigs are better. Not great but better.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
I know this board is full of liberals that love to prioritize feelings over stats but Preston has been our third best player behind McGhee and rode if you look at some of the advanced stats such as the basketball version of WAR and other similar measures of a players overall value. Some of those stats even have him as high as #2 on the team or as low as #4 behind porter and tied with Robinson.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: March 19th, 2023, 4:52 pm I know this board is full of liberals that love to prioritize feelings over stats but Preston has been our third best player behind McGhee and rode if you look at some of the advanced stats such as the basketball version of WAR and other similar measures of a players overall value. Some of those stats even have him as high as #2 on the team or as low as #4 behind porter and tied with Robinson.
All of this means is, that whatever stats are used, they can be extremely unreliable. There is a reason that MLB spends a heck of a lot of money for human input from scouts instead of using analytics. Many, many times analytics are wrong. Eventually you have to believe what you actually see.
By Ill flame
flameshaw wrote: March 19th, 2023, 9:23 pm
Ill flame wrote: March 19th, 2023, 4:52 pm I know this board is full of liberals that love to prioritize feelings over stats but Preston has been our third best player behind McGhee and rode if you look at some of the advanced stats such as the basketball version of WAR and other similar measures of a players overall value. Some of those stats even have him as high as #2 on the team or as low as #4 behind porter and tied with Robinson.
All of this means is, that whatever stats are used, they can be extremely unreliable. There is a reason that MLB spends a heck of a lot of money for human input from scouts instead of using analytics. Many, many times analytics are wrong. Eventually you have to believe what you actually see.
The size of MLB analytics departments have skyrocketed since the As made it popular in the early 2000s and the number of scouts have been cut drastically. In fact most teams have more analysts than they have pro scouts. They are adding statcast to every minor league stadium now so i imagine more will get cut. Teams really only use them now to find high school players where stats aren't very reliable and most of those scouts are part timers that have a day job. Even then they recently created a combine for the draft so they can get more data points on players. Gone are the days of the eye test unless of course we are talking about the CFP committee.
By Tnobes
Mrs. Preston, is that you?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Preston is a perfectly cromulent post player for an ASun team. But he does seem to always find ways to annoy me. If he would just stick to what he does, he’d be ok. But the moment he gets out of his lane he gets sloppy and makes crucial mistakes. My least favorite player by far.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 20th, 2023, 6:44 am … a perfectly cromulent post player …
Well done 👏🏽
JK37 liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I had to take a few days off to get over that one. There are a lot of reasons we can point to as to why we lost that game. For one, lay-ups have been an issue for us all year. We seem to miss really easy buckets and it comes back to bite us in close games like this. Shiloh had one that he missed on a breakaway and then JV at the end. Both of those guys played really hard though. JV is fun to watch on D because he's ALL over the place and plays like he's 6" taller. Preston started the year strong. He didn't finish it as strong though and at times he was a liability. I've seen quotes on here about his FG% being high and all of these advanced metrics... guys what's his FT% from the stripe? It's not good... so let's not pretend he's some sort of great shooter. I will say - he was the closest thing we have to a big and he did improve this year. Also, I'm not going to call him terrible - that's idiotic... no kid on this team deserves that sort of treatment from the fanbase so shape up people.

The refs were frustrating again. I just don't see consistency in the calls. Our guys had to get elbowed in the face to get calls down in the paint. Their bigs were forcing contact and bumping every play and as soon as we stand our ground they blew the whistle. And the final play of the game... Darius was bumped midair. Saw a few fouls go against us earlier in the game when we had similar contests against their PG Hepburn (who was their best player imo).

Ultimately, I'm proud of the effort and the fact that we controlled our own destiny in that game. We played a legit B1G team that started the year hot and just had some bad luck in the mid-season. We need some more length for next year, but what we really need is someone that can stretch a defense and create opportunities. Porter is great and super smart, but I don't know that he can do that all on his own. When #2 wasn't on the floor most of this season, we seemed hesitant. I'm glad HCRM is in charge of this program though. That guy represents everything we should be striving for as a university.
LUOrange liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]