This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Named pre-season favorites, but only one player on all-conference team? Motivation...

ASUN Preseason Baseball All-Conference Team
Pos. Name School
SP AJ Causey, Jacksonville State
SP Garrett Horn, Liberty
SP Mikchael Dunkelberger, Lipscomb
RP Bryce Fisher, Jacksonville
RP Matthew Bohnert, Lipscomb
C Will King, Eastern Kentucky
1B Joe Kinker, FGCU
2B Zac Corbin, Kennesaw State
3B Alejandro Figueredo, FGCU
SS Caleb Ketchup, Lipscomb
OF Brian Ellis, FGCU
OF Harrison Povey, FGCU
OF T.J. Reeves, Jacksonville State
DH Evan Hafley, Central Arkansas
flamehunter liked this
I think there are too many new faces for the popularity votes to designate many of them as preseason award winners . It seems like they're really high on some of the transfers competing for rotation spots and on the true Freshman Simmons kid from LCA, but it's tough sledding to win preseason all-conference awards when you have not yet played in the conference. Of the expected starters returning, Guy is coming off TJ surgery and didn't play last year. Gray Betts is a stud, but Will King edged him slightly on major offensive stat line categories last year and is also probably a fair choice.

Nonetheless, I hope it's a chip on everyone's shoulders. After struggling with pitching depth down the stretch last year, I'm very eager to see what the rotation looks like after Horn. It sounds like quite a few are competing.
AATL wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 12:02 pm I think there are too many new faces for the popularity votes to designate many of them as preseason award winners . It seems like they're really high on some of the transfers competing for rotation spots and on the true Freshman Simmons kid from LCA, but it's tough sledding to win preseason all-conference awards when you have not yet played in the conference. Of the expected starters returning, Guy is coming off TJ surgery and didn't play last year. Gray Betts is a stud, but Will King edged him slightly on major offensive stat line categories last year and is also probably a fair choice.

Nonetheless, I hope it's a chip on everyone's shoulders. After struggling with pitching depth down the stretch last year, I'm very eager to see what the rotation looks like after Horn. It sounds like quite a few are competing.
I'd just like to see a roster.

FGCU lost Ian Farrow but they still have the best hitters in the league as they did last year that's why they have 4 on this list.
Chippy wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 12:35 pm
AATL wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 12:02 pm I think there are too many new faces for the popularity votes to designate many of them as preseason award winners . It seems like they're really high on some of the transfers competing for rotation spots and on the true Freshman Simmons kid from LCA, but it's tough sledding to win preseason all-conference awards when you have not yet played in the conference. Of the expected starters returning, Guy is coming off TJ surgery and didn't play last year. Gray Betts is a stud, but Will King edged him slightly on major offensive stat line categories last year and is also probably a fair choice.

FGCU lost Ian Farrow (drafted) but they still have the best hitters in the league as they did last year that's why they have 4 on this list.
Chippy wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 12:36 pm
Chippy wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 12:35 pm

FGCU lost Ian Farrow (drafted) but they still have the best hitters in the league as they did last year that's why they have 4 on this list.
Good point Chippy ;)
Ill flame wrote: February 8th, 2023, 1:09 pm Imo that's 100% on Scott Jackson. The other programs don't seem to have this issue and he's ultimately the main person responsible for promoting his program.
Last Friday night, Feb 3rd, there was a "First Pitch" dinner. Everyone was invited. We met the entire team, told about future plans for the field and the program. Went over the schedule, some of next years schedule, team goals, etc.
The dinner was well attended and was done "top shelf".
Scott Jackson is a great coach and the perfect person to lead our baseball team. He holds Zoom calls with the baseball alumni from time to time and is quite connected with them.
He is also recruiting and getting better players/men than we have ever had at LU. His priorities are an example of exactly the type of coach we need/want at LU.
Maybe one shouldn't make the jump from no roster=coaching/program problems. 8) 8) 8)
flameshaw wrote: February 8th, 2023, 9:41 pm
Ill flame wrote: February 8th, 2023, 1:09 pm Imo that's 100% on Scott Jackson. The other programs don't seem to have this issue and he's ultimately the main person responsible for promoting his program.
Scott Jackson is a great coach and the perfect person to lead our baseball team.
I agree with this. I'm just saying he's the one to point the finger at about the rosters. It doesn't mean I want him fired.
Ill flame wrote: February 9th, 2023, 5:56 am
flameshaw wrote: February 8th, 2023, 9:41 pm
Scott Jackson is a great coach and the perfect person to lead our baseball team.
I agree with this. I'm just saying he's the one to point the finger at about the rosters. It doesn't mean I want him fired.
The fact remains there are never any articles on the LU website about HS recruits or transfers like every other Olympic sport we have. And I'm guessing we are the only team in the nation that has yet to have a roster posted on its website. Whoever is in charge of marketing for baseball . . . . Jackson the coach is awesome but . . . .
But he doesn't post on Twitter every 5 hours!!!!!!!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]