If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

JK37 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:33 am
tyndal23 wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 12:57 am
JK37 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 11:28 pm

It is. You’re acting like $1M is a lot of money to these programs. It’s not.

Every single ACC AD would take the 1/1 with a P5 over a 2/1 with a G5. Losing to a P5 is explainable. Just playing a G5 is a lose-lose proposition.

But even better options exist! Just buy all wins non-con. With the expanded playoff, there’s even less reason to play fellow P5’s in non-con. Just bag 3-4 easily winnable non-con’s and go undefeated or one-loss in conference. You don’t have to finish Top 4 anymore, just Top 11.

G5’s have one guaranteed spot in the playoff. Yay! The trade off is even fewer P5’s willing to give G5’s a chance.
Ok - fill out the non con schedule for everyone not named Clemson and tell me how they get bowl eligible. Only 1 FCS game counts. What does that leave ? If every AD much preferred P5 non con - why haven’t they done it ? Perhaps they were trying to get bowl eligible ?
They pay G5’s so they don’t have to return the game. You started by comparing 2-1’s vs. G5’s to 1-1’s vs. P5’s. The 1-1vP5 is clearly better of those two. But the best option of all is the 1-0 vs. G5/FCS. (And maybe sprinkle in one 1-1 or neutral game vs P5 on national TV.)
Seriously ? That is your argument? You think I don’t know the difference Between 1 off and 2 for 1 G5? They have 4 games to schedule and their Commish is telling them to add another P5 series. ( Good for him ). You really think Duke,UVA,Syracuse really want to make their schedule even harder? I didn’t hear the Commish say “just pay for 2 G5’s and an an FCS team to come play - he said add an additional 1 for 1 P5 series. I don’t think AD’s or coaches want to - you can argue that they do - but still be wrong :).
Purple Haize wrote: February 4th, 2023, 1:25 pm But what if LU paid for a top tier P5 to come play in Lynchburg?!? Name it and claim it!
OU was going to Tulane 2021 but hurricane nixed that. Lynchburg ain’t New Orleans ( some AD’s factor in exciting travel for their fans occasionally). But OU is probably not top tier either - so bad example...
tyndal23 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:36 pm
Seriously ? That is your argument? You think I don’t know the difference Between 1 off and 2 for 1 G5? They have 4 games to schedule and their Commish is telling them to add another P5 series. ( Good for him ). You really think Duke,UVA,Syracuse really want to make their schedule even harder? I didn’t hear the Commish say “just pay for 2 G5’s and an an FCS team to come play - he said add an additional 1 for 1 P5 series. I don’t think AD’s or coaches want to - you can argue that they do - but still be wrong :).
False. The ACC commissioner said to not schedule road games vs. G5’s. He said they had nothing to gain. And he said he would prefer more P5’s. And he was absolutely right about all of it.

Are we arguing about reality?
Or what the ACC commissioner said?
Or what other commissioners have obviously said behind closed doors?
Or what AD’s know to be best for their programs?

Or your dreams not based in reality?

A 2-1 with a G5 make even less sense anymore for a P5 since the expansion of the playoff. And TV eyeball-craving conference commissioners are rightly telling their schools to not be stupid about this. So you can stop bringing up 2-1’s with P5’s. It isn’t going to happen. I’m still betting the last P5 on LU’s future schedule falls out.

I wish LU was P5. It’s not. Never was, no matter how many P5’s it tried to schedule. It’s an exclusive club, and buying it’s way obviously isn’t viable for LU. So LU tried to schedule their way in, and P5’s were happy to oblige until LU starting winning a few. Now, not only is LU not a member of the club, they’re a threat to many trying to stay IN the P5 club.

Lu has a conference. LU has a pathway - albeit a slim one - to the playoff. That is LU’s reality, and the best one they’ll have for a long time. Deal with it. Or even better yet: choose to ENJOY it!
tyndal23 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:47 pm
Purple Haize wrote: February 4th, 2023, 1:25 pm But what if LU paid for a top tier P5 to come play in Lynchburg?!? Name it and claim it!
OU was going to Tulane 2021 but hurricane nixed that. Lynchburg ain’t New Orleans ( some AD’s factor in exciting travel for their fans occasionally). But OU is probably not top tier either - so bad example...
That was part of a 2-1 deal, not a 1 off. I’d imagine the contract was renegotiated and as of now OU will play in NOLA in 24. But I’d wager they will buy their way out of it.

https://soonersports.com/news/2015/5/21/210102396
That tulane series made a lot of sense for OU when it was schedules. It's in a recruiting hotbed, touristy city for the fans to visit and against a historically weak team. Now that they are actually solid it'll probably get dropped. Either way we don't have either of those 3 things going for us to schedule something similar. It's interesting how willing P5s are to schedule you when they think you're a cupcake and how quickly they cancel when you're not anymore.
JK37 liked this
Ill flame wrote: February 4th, 2023, 10:37 pm That tulane series made a lot of sense for OU when it was schedules. It's in a recruiting hotbed, touristy city for the fans to visit and against a historically weak team. Now that they are actually solid it'll probably get dropped. Either way we don't have either of those 3 things going for us to schedule something similar. It's interesting how willing P5s are to schedule you when they think you're a cupcake and how quickly they cancel when you're not anymore.
It was also a 2 for 1 in a recruiting hot bed as you said.
Sly Fox wrote: February 4th, 2023, 11:09 pm ... in NOLA. Something tells me Haize & Smoothie would have an above average time in the Big Easy.
Why whatever do you mean?!?

I know I’d be taking the majority of my meals at Mothers Restaurant though!
Mother's is just the appetizer for the ridiculous buffet that is Nawlins. Best city to dine in America. Period. And I have tried just about all of the other contenders. But I digress ...

Bottom line is that ADs will continue to schedule what they feel is in their school/team's best interests. I would love to hear Sankey tell Austin they can't schedule games in Houston any more. Those "road" games are the schools gifts to arguably their largest alumni & fan base. Commissioners make suggestions.
ATrain, LUOrange liked this
Sly Fox wrote: February 5th, 2023, 10:29 am Mother's is just the appetizer for the ridiculous buffet that is Nawlins. Best city to dine in America. Period. And I have tried just about all of the other contenders. But I digress ...

Bottom line is that ADs will continue to schedule what they feel is in their school/team's best interests. I would love to hear Sankey tell Austin they can't schedule games in Houston any more. Those "road" games are the schools gifts to arguably their largest alumni & fan base. Commissioners make suggestions.
Yes, Houston is an easy win. Though the folks in Austin may be happy to never go to Fort Worth again :wink:
ATrain wrote: February 5th, 2023, 11:35 am Mother's is very good, but you would be cheating yourself if you didn't go visit other institutions of fine dining in NOLA.
Oh I have. But not being able to eat seafood really limits my options. I just always come back to it.
UT has a date at the Cotton Bowl every year so the Metroplex is covered. But they usually try to schedule games with Rice in NRG Stadium as a "road" game as frequently as possible. UH tried to bamboozle the Horns about 15 years ago and move their game to their tiny on campus stadium to try and have a real homefield advantage. UH fans sold all their tickets at premium to Texas Exes and a massive tinkertoy bleachers setup was declared unsafe on game week. Suffice it to say that UH hasn't received a home game from the Horns since.

In NOLA, the seafood options are obvious. But there is so much more to enjoy with Creole/Cajun options aplenty. I have literally fasted before flying into MSY so I could have more room to indulge.
JK37 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:10 pm
tyndal23 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:36 pm
False. The ACC commissioner said to not schedule road games vs. G5’s. He said they had nothing to gain. And he said he would prefer more P5’s. And he was absolutely right about all of it.

Are we arguing about reality?
Or what the ACC commissioner said?
Or what other commissioners have obviously said behind closed doors?
Or what AD’s know to be best for their programs?

Or your dreams not based in reality?

A 2-1 with a G5 make even less sense anymore for a P5 since the expansion of the playoff. And TV eyeball-craving conference commissioners are rightly telling their schools to not be stupid about this. So you can stop bringing up 2-1’s with P5’s. It isn’t going to happen. I’m still betting the last P5 on LU’s future schedule falls out.

I wish LU was P5. It’s not. Never was, no matter how many P5’s it tried to schedule. It’s an exclusive club, and buying it’s way obviously isn’t viable for LU. So LU tried to schedule their way in, and P5’s were happy to oblige until LU starting winning a few. Now, not only is LU not a member of the club, they’re a threat to many trying to stay IN the P5 club.

Lu has a conference. LU has a pathway - albeit a slim one - to the playoff. That is LU’s reality, and the best one they’ll have for a long time. Deal with it. Or even better yet: choose to ENJOY it!
I make an accurate comment on the ACC that has 8 teams struggle to make a bowl every year and you lose the argument and drag up mY LU G5 vs Independent stance. I never once mentioned LU in this thread except replying to PH about his name it and claim it jab about a paying an elite team to come to Lynchburg. (which I have never suggested). Feel free to tell me to get “over it” when I actually do criticize CUSA and G5 in general...just keep on topic please...
Purple Haize wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:47 pm
tyndal23 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:47 pm
That was part of a 2-1 deal, not a 1 off. I’d imagine the contract was renegotiated and as of now OU will play in NOLA in 24. But I’d wager they will buy their way out of it.

https://soonersports.com/news/2015/5/21/210102396
I bet OU keeps it - recruiting for future SEC. FYI - Tulane should have won at OU in 21 -smacked us in the mouth all game and had a late turnover that killed them. The road trip to Army ( canceled and rescheduled due to Covid ) - I would be surprised to keep that one ( OU barely won that one in 18 ). As for a 1 off - never heard of a P5 taking a road trip “ 1 off” vs a G5. Would be interested to know if it has ever happened.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]