Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Reading this article, it appears the expansion of the lake at the Hydaway Outdoor Center (aka Camp Hydaway), could "also serve student-athletes from the...NCAA Division I teams." (last line of the article if you want to read it. Is crew/rowing on the way?

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2023/01/26 ... is-spring/
Ill flame wrote: January 29th, 2023, 6:47 pm For rowing they would need a 2000 meter long straight away and this expanded lake doesn't meet that standard. I guess they could practice there and do meets somewhere else.
Lynchburg has a River
Cider Jim liked this
Ill flame wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:26 pm I'm not very familiar with rowing so I didn't know rivers could be used for competitive events like that. I assumed they preferred to use more stagnant bodies of water.
Good point. I think going up stream would be tough :D
SML isn’t too far
ballah09 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:08 pm I don't know if anything has changed but last I heard golf and gymnastics were the next two sports that would be added if in fact they do add a sport.
Women's golf to be more specific. I remember there was mentioned to build an olympic stye gymnasium when they were discussing about building the natatorium. If I recalled, from what i recalled from the old article (not sure if it was news&advance or the champion), the location of where they could've placed it was right where the new parking garage will be placed behind LeHaye Ice Center(LIC).
Purple Haize wrote: January 29th, 2023, 9:26 pm SML isn’t too far
That's where the current crew team practices now.
Yes, Smith Mountain Lake could serve as a home course for crew. They typically do not have home courses on campuses in NCAA competition. Then again, it is not necessary to host regattas for every school. You just need to field a team with scholarship athletes.

Yes, you can train at Camp Hydaway Lake or potentially even on the James River. I remember when Texas started up crew back in the '90s in Austin it generated an entire community of rowers who used the university's new boathouse as its hub for the community.

Once upon a time, when LU was "gifted" Ivy Lake as a tax shelter by developers, the school briefly talked about using it was a training center for crew. Nothing ever came from that experience and that "gift" turned into a legal and financial nightmare for the school.

Honestly I believe the reference in that last line was to swimmers and triathletes training for long course events. But that's just how I took it.
ATrain liked this
Purple Haize wrote:
Ill flame wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:26 pm I'm not very familiar with rowing so I didn't know rivers could be used for competitive events like that. I assumed they preferred to use more stagnant bodies of water.
SML isn’t too far
I believe rivers being used is fairly common. All the city schools here compete on the Schuylkill River. Rutgers uses the Raritan River and the Cooper River is also used for competitions. I don't think you could use say the New River...
flamehunter liked this
47/5-2 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 6:07 pm
Purple Haize wrote:
SML isn’t too far
I believe rivers being used is fairly common. All the city schools here compete on the Schuylkill River. Rutgers uses the Raritan River and the Cooper River is also used for competitions. I don't think you could use say the New River...
Depends which direction you're going lol. I think it would be fun to watch the teams fighting for the fast channel. A lot of NASCAR like bumping and banging going on.
ballcoach15 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 9:06 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 30th, 2023, 5:31 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 2:47 pm LU fans don't support women's sports now, why should LU add any other sports ?
Financially they certainly do
I heard from a good source that Liberty's softball budget is double that of at least 1 ACC school.
Boston College is like the Ulysses S. Grant of P5’s. They can count for just about every negative superlative there is.
ATrain liked this
JK37 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 9:25 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 9:06 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 30th, 2023, 5:31 pm

Financially they certainly do
I heard from a good source that Liberty's softball budget is double that of at least 1 ACC school.
Boston College is like the Ulysses S. Grant of P5’s. They can count for just about every negative superlative there is.
Is this sarcasm or are you just getting Ulyssess S. Grant confused with someone else? He was one of the better generals in US history.
Lets make this happen:

In the upcoming years (2024-2035), these sports should be added especially if the NIL funding increases:

Women:
Bowling
Gymnastics
Hockey
Rowing (optional)
Swimming/Diving (NCAA D1)
Beach Volleyball (CUSA)

Men:
Hockey
Lacrosse
Wrestling (again)

Could get some good national coverage especially since the city is growing in sporting exposure separate from the school year.

https://newsadvance.com/business/local/ ... c69d2.html
Last edited by cruzan_flame13 on April 30th, 2023, 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Let the record show that ZERO new sports will be added until the NCAA gets reorganized and pay-for-play gets worked out. And this doesn't even bring in the possibility that Title IX's application to sports based on transgender issues could change everything. We have reached an inflection point for college athletics and not even the most powerful players in this game know quite what to expect.

If anything, we could see some sports dropped down to club level.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]