Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 8:59 am
Humble_Opinion wrote:I think you guys don’t give enough credit to what else recruits kids, besides coaches. Our facilities, academic/medical support programs and staff rival most P5s outside of a handful. If you get the kids on campus and they’re offered by the best G5 schools besides us, we win hands down from these aspects. HCHF was great for LU, but the guy spent a lot of time away from LI golfing and doing other crap. Chadwell seems to be hitting the ground hard with the recruits. I bet we line up a solid staff. You KNOW AD McCaw is giving him all he needs to chase down his coaches. Let’s relax a little and breathe.
Recruiting to Liberty has challenges as well as strengths. Much more difficult to find a culture fit. I asked this question earlier with no responses, but is it easier or harder to recruit at Liberty vs. Coastal? It seems you think Liberty should be easier to recruit to?
Don't underestimate the beach!!!
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Interesting that Chadwell is still calling QB a need.

Salter
Bennett
Hampton
Mooney

If it's a need, it seems it's immediate. Transfer potential?
By AATL
Kricket wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 2:52 pm Interesting that Chadwell is still calling QB a need.

Salter
Bennett
Hampton
Mooney

I think they carried five on scholarship last year. This is purely conjecture, but I would not be shocked if one of the list above enters the portal now that the bowl game is in the rear view mirror.
Kricket liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 2:52 pm Interesting that Chadwell is still calling QB a need.

Salter
Bennett
Hampton
Mooney

Did you watch our games this year.
Salter - Love his upside, but the guy can't make the right reads and is VERY fumble prone.

Bennett - Seems like a great guy and he did win some big games this year, but he made every game interesting. Not a great runner and throws a lot of INTs. Not a lot of upside here. Can he pick up a new offense...

Hampton - Didn't see a lot, but from what I did see - seemed more like a runner then a passer and wasn't impressed with him. Could be young and just needs time.

Mooney - Freshman... And we have seen this story before. Plays baseball and ends up playing baseball full year.

We need Grayson for a year... Would be huge for development of Salter and give him time to mature and learn it.
Ill flame, jinxy liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. That darn Bennett winning games and everything. Really puts a damper on Salter showing what he can do
CCWMichael liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
AATL wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 3:05 pm

Salter
Bennett
Hampton
Mooney

I think they carried five on scholarship last year. This is purely conjecture, but I would not be shocked if one of the list above enters the portal now that the bowl game is in the rear view mirror.
Honestly I could see any of the QBs transferring at this point. None of them have had commitment from the staff in the past. That being said, Chadwell could have a favorite. We don't know enough yet to say.

Chadwell did recruit Bennett out of High School. That may give him the edge in potential playing time.

Either way, I think we're looking for a game ready QB.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’m not as convinced of that as you are, and there’s no way to know for sure. Salter getting injured seems to have been forgotten. I don’t think JB gets much of a chance if Salter doesn’t go down. Some, but not as much or for as long.
Cider Jim liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 5:01 pm I’m not as convinced of that as you are, and there’s no way to know for sure. Salter getting injured seems to have been forgotten. I don’t think JB gets much of a chance if Salter doesn’t go down. Some, but not as much or for as long.
Salter demonstrated time and again, especially against Toledo, why he didn’t cut it at UT The LU offense was never appreciably better when he was in the games.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If Grayson McCall doesn't come to LU, I'll be really curious to see if Coach Chadwell falls in love with JB like Purple has.
Kricket liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I don’t get the Salter hate. He’s obviously raw and needs some development but the dude has the potential to be a star. Bennett is limited on what he can do. He doesn’t have the athleticism and the arm compared to Salter. Yeah he fumbles but so did Malik in his first year. He’ll improve.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 8:01 pm At the risk of provoking both of my ASOR friends... Salter triggers Purple like C-USA triggers Tyndal.

I'll leave now... :cartwheels
That’s hurtful 8) :lol:

JB was perfectly serviceable this year and treated absolutely horribly this year. That’s indisputable.
Salter doesn’t trigger me. People who think he’s the next Heisman Trophy winner with 0 evidence on the field trigger me.
If I were akin to Tyndal I’d be calling one of the Heisman Equivalent
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 8:40 pm I don’t get the Salter hate. He’s obviously raw and needs some development but the dude has the potential to be a star. Bennett is limited on what he can do. He doesn’t have the athleticism and the arm compared to Salter. Yeah he fumbles but so did Malik in his first year. He’ll improve.
It’s not hate. It’s facts on the ground. The kid IS flashy. The kid IS athletic. The kid HAS potential. I hope he realizes it all to its fullest. But current markers don’t indicate him trending in that direction.
JB is not flashy. JB has not had the confidence of the coaching staff. JB QB’d the team to its biggest wins in school history.
Salter May end up being a better QB than JB. But he wasn’t this past year. Not sure he will be next year. I am all for bringing in an upgrade at QB, but right now JB is the best LU has based on performance
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Kricket wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 8:01 pm At the risk of provoking both of my ASOR friends... Salter triggers Purple like C-USA triggers Tyndal.

JB was perfectly serviceable this year and treated absolutely horribly this year. That’s indisputable.
Salter doesn’t trigger me. People who think he’s the next Heisman Trophy winner with 0 evidence on the field trigger me.
I know, it's not the same. I just knew you guys both would love the comparison.

I'm with you that JB hasn't received the respect he deserves. He's a leader. But personally I'm torn at who I'd play. I wish you could take the best of both and put them together, but you just can't.

If I'm Chadwell I'd see if I can get an option C in the portal. That's where my focus would be. If we don't find anything, at least we go into next year with a little more knowledge on these guys strengths than we had to start this year.
Purple Haize liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
He also got an offer and then took an official visit to the University of California. Rogers looked good this year for ULM. He was very efficient. Efficiency & protecting the ball is a non-negotiable for Chadwell.

Look at QB team stats since 2019 (4 seasons):

109 TD's to 24 INT's with a 66.9 completion percentage.

Now to compare to LU under Freeze (4 seasons):

108 TD's to 45 INT's with a 59.3 completion percentage.

Almost double the number of turnovers and this is not including QB fumbles which I would imagine we double Coastal in that area as well.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
According to Rivals we were top 10 G-5 recruiting class, coming in at 10th. Additionally, we were the #1 CUSA class. Plus, our average per quality of player was #1 in CUSA according to ON3 recruiting services. I am becoming less of a fan of 247 as they seem to focus most of their resources on Power 5 schools.

It may have already been posted on the board but rivals ranked us 74th overall (Campbell was ranked 66th) and it is 73rd among FBS only schools. HCJC kept this class together while adding some dynamite late additions! I didn't expect this high of ranking.
AATL, Liberty22 liked this
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 8:44 pm

As usual, I agree with PH on this as well as most everything else with exception of G5 vs Independent. Salter has the ceiling and did save us week 1. JB had 2 complete games and every other game he took a nap and woke up- his naps were either in the beginning or middle and some were longer than others. Once he woke up, looked great. I compare Salter ( probably unfairly ) to Spencer Rattler - I just don’t trust him. That said - he may be the next Caleb Williams in this new offense. ( or whatever the G5 version of Heisman is - Heisman Equivalent ? :).
By Dalegarz1
I was impressed with Coach Chadwell's presser. The difference in recruiting philosophy from HF is fairly evident and understandable considering the two different scenarios. LU was an opportunity for HF to reinvent himself (perception wise) and was only ever going to be an intermediate step. Consequently, recruiting efforts stemmed from a win now perspective and not necessarily to have a long range plan in place to put our team in a position to re-load every year. Listening to JC talk about the i importance of having a healthy mixture of underclassmen and upperclassmen makes it obvious IMHO that he is thinking long range roster building. He emphasized that high school athletes will be the foundation of recruiting efforts with Juco and transfers filling in the gaps. In short, there is a steadiness about him that has been missing the last 4 years. I think he is here for the long haul and I predict we will have great success under his leadership. Please don't hold me to to the standards of prophecy outlined in Deuteronomy!
Cider Jim, Purple Haize, AATL and 2 others liked this
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]