Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Tnobes
Different coaching philosophy. I had a kid this year I nicknamed "game time" because he'd go 100% in games when he was getting the ball or if the ball was coming his way with a game saving interception but gave maybe 10% in practice if that, I'd joke about it with him but when game days came he was ready, I believe you earn playing time by being a gamer and passing the eye test. Had another kid who won every track race in the spring, fastest kid in the school but on the football field wouldn't run, wouldn't run in practice and wouldn't run in games, couldn't give him much playing time because there was no on switch on game days. Some kids bring it in practice and you reward them but game time they don't have it, you have to know what the player is like. Salter needs to study more but he could be a gamer

Being a captain you earn in practice and by your work ethic and example. Playing time? Show me it in a game
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like your kid proved it somewhere. Good for him. I know there are gamers. And in a position battle, a coach will go with whoever gives him the best chance to win, gamer or not. They all had their shot, and none grasped it. If McCall can, let him try. None of the rest have done it yet.

So you’ll risk gametime to find out IF a kid can play?

Salter = AI? Ok then.

You think AI never had to prove it to John Thompson? :lol:
By Tnobes
A QB needs in game action, to adjust to the speed of game, to learn from mistakes. In an ideal world you put them in when the game is decided early in their career but sometimes you need to throw them into the fire. I hope McCall stays at coastal
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 11:12 pm Sounds like your kid proved it somewhere. Good for him. I know there are gamers. And in a position battle, a coach will go with whoever gives him the best chance to win, gamer or not. They all had their shot, and none grasped it. If McCall can, let him try. None of the rest have done it yet.

So you’ll risk gametime to find out IF a kid can play?

Salter = AI? Ok then.

You think AI never had to prove it to John Thompson? :lol:
You know better than to argue with John Wooden Saban
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Lest we forget, Iverson's coach, Larry Brown, stated something about coaching in the NBA, and how It's not really coaching as far as he was concerned.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 6th, 2022, 9:57 am It’s a players’ league.
Pro sports and College/ High School are a bit different. You have to show up in the pros ready to play and go from there for the most part.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Salter is a tremendous talent. JC will evaluate where he's at and what's needed for his success moving forward. As far as McCall is concerned, JC will be influential in GM's next move. What's in the best interest of the player? What's in the best interest of LU? If both interests align, he'll be here. Be sure of that.
LUOrange liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
When I first arrived on-campus, I remember "Beat Coastal" was the thing and quickly learned they were our rivals. What I didn't know was that they didn't really see it that way and had no idea. It seemed like a one-way rivalry. If we take their HC, some of their staff AND their starting QB who is one of their GOATs... we may have a REAL rivalry for once.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:31 am A QB needs in game action, to adjust to the speed of game, to learn from mistakes. In an ideal world you put them in when the game is decided early in their career but sometimes you need to throw them into the fire. I hope McCall stays at coastal
They also need to learn the playbook and how to read a defense properly (esp running the RPO). Typically, it's best to do that during practice and not during the game. Ball protection needs to be a huge focus for Salter in the offseason. You could tell when he was in the games for us this year that he's still used to being able to run faster than most of the front 7 for the opposing team. That really hurt us when we played better teams that could catch him from behind.
Purple Haize, JK37, LUOrange liked this
By JCS Flames Fan 31
Beat me to it Purple, Grayson has officially entered the transfer portal. I'd be shocked if he isn't our QB next year, I'm here for it. Even tho some on here are against it. McCall is one of the better QB's out there, no arguing that :football
OneHope liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
It used to be super abnormal for freshmen and sophomores to start at QB. Let the kids sit and learn from a vet. Salter may be better off from a year behind McCall than from a year being thrown out there again when he isn't ready.
By Dalegarz1
Two years of eligibility left! If that's true, it's a no brainer even though he could declare after next year. Come to the mountain Grayson!
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I think he'll have opportunities bigger than Liberty, but that doesn't mean I don't hope he comes here.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. We just offered another QB in the portal an hour ago that Coach Chadwell faced this past season in the Sun Belt. To me that wouldn't happen unless we were unlikely to land McCall.
Just John liked this
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
My bet is he will be here in Lee County, AL next year. Liberty gets Coastal's coach, Hugh gets their QB.
AATL, aredd33 liked this
By OneHope
JCS Flames Fan 31 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 11:22 am So I don't post a lot on here, but after the Jamey Chadwell hiring (which I for 1 am very excited about!) :lol: I have it from a very good source that Grayson McCall will most likely be QB1 at LU next year. I live in the greater Charlotte, NC area and I have a young man who works for me at the bank who is similar age to Grayson and was rival QB against him in high school days down here in Union County. They know each other and have same friend circles and according to Grayson's friends he was always going to follow Chadwell wherever he decided to go for his Senior season :football

Should make for a FUN season next year! 8)
If he comes to LU you shall have the Honorary title of Prophet 😂…I thought he would stay at Coastal 100%
JCS Flames Fan 31 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: December 12th, 2022, 5:45 pm
No one gonna mock the ‘prayer and consideration’ line? Or does that disdain only apply to players LEAVING LU not hopefully COMING to LU? Just trying to understand the rules
Baybird, LUOrange liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:05 pm No one gonna mock the ‘prayer and consideration’ line?
If you read the whole tweet, he even listed a Bible verse. I hope Ballcoach will look it up for us and tell us what it says. Study
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]