Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By JCS Flames Fan 31
So I don't post a lot on here, but after the Jamey Chadwell hiring (which I for 1 am very excited about!) :lol: I have it from a very good source that Grayson McCall will most likely be QB1 at LU next year. I live in the greater Charlotte, NC area and I have a young man who works for me at the bank who is similar age to Grayson and was rival QB against him in high school days down here in Union County. They know each other and have same friend circles and according to Grayson's friends he was always going to follow Chadwell wherever he decided to go for his Senior season :football

Should make for a FUN season next year! 8)
OneHope liked this
By AATL
I respect the heck out of that kid and would love to have him. However, that would be quite the about-face for him.

By prototype
Registration Days Posts
You wouldn't. And... Tweets before your bowl game don't carry that much weight. Maybe - he's trying to keep his team motivated.
By JCS Flames Fan 31
Yea I saw those tweets and wondered same thing if McCall would really come to LU for his final year. My co-worker seems to think from their mutual friends that McCall was planning on following JC wherever he landed and Grayson had been aware for awhile that Chadwell was gonna leave, just not sure where he'd land.

I love Salter and his potential as well, so even if McCall stays put it will be fun watching Kaiden under JC, but if McCall the master of Chadwell's offense can teach Salter the ways, that's not a bad thing at all :wink:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
After 2 seasons “Potential” isn’t necessarily a good thing
By Tnobes
I think bringing in a transfer QB with one year may be good short term but hurts long term because it's better to have a 2 or 3 year starting QB than new starter, new starter, new starter.....

I'm hoping we roll with Salter and let him develop on the fly, too bad his injury set him back from being the full time starter once he got rolling. Granted he had turnover problems but he can grow from that
ballcoach15 liked this
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
It's best to have a quarterback room full of talent that is working toward the same goal. You may need them all.
By Tnobes
SumItUp wrote: ↑December 5th, 2022, 1:26 pm It's best to have a quarterback room full of talent that is working toward the same goal. You may need them all.
True. But chemistry and QB rhythm and relationship with receivers is still important and I don't believe a revolving door at QB is a good thing in my opinion. Now a QB with multiple years left is a different story like Malik had or D.J from Clemson would have
By AATL
Purple Haize wrote: ↑December 5th, 2022, 1:16 pm After 2 seasons “Potential” isn’t necessarily a good thing
To be fair, it's tough to expect a year of scout team to do much for his on-field development and I'm not sure the quarterback carousel helped anyone in the room this year.
By Ill flame
Anytime there is a clear upgrade at any position you take him. In this era with players transferring all over the place for any number of reasons you can't count on a player being there next year.
By Tnobes
I'm not sure it's a "clear upgrade"

Salter 4 star number 8 QB in the nation
McCall 2 star 66th ranked QB in the nation

Let's give Salter a few years to own that rank
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
AATL wrote: ↑December 5th, 2022, 1:49 pm
Purple Haize wrote: ↑December 5th, 2022, 1:16 pm After 2 seasons “Potential” isn’t necessarily a good thing
To be fair, it's tough to expect a year of scout team to do much for his on-field development and I'm not sure the quarterback carousel helped anyone in the room this year.
To be fair look what Clemsons Freshman QB did over the weekend
By LUDad
Tnobes wrote: ↑December 5th, 2022, 1:21 pm I think bringing in a transfer QB with one year may be good short term but hurts long term because it's better to have a 2 or 3 year starting QB than new starter, new starter, new starter.....

I'm hoping we roll with Salter and let him develop on the fly, too bad his injury set him back from being the full time starter once he got rolling. Granted he had turnover problems but he can grow from that
I believe Grayson has two years left (2023 & 2024) if he wants them.

2019 played in 4 games (reshirt year)
2020 Covid year
2021 Full year
2022 Full year
2023 Full year
2024 Full year

Covid players get 6 years including redshirt year and covid year to complete their eligibility.
By Ill flame
Tnobes wrote: ↑December 5th, 2022, 2:49 pm I'm not sure it's a "clear upgrade"

McCall 2022- 2 fumbles (87 rushes), 2 Int (285 pass attempts)

Salter 2022- 5 fumbles (59 rushes), 5 int (129 pass attempts)

There's no doubt in my mind McCall would win us more games in 2023 if that's what he wanted. It's really hard to score when the only thing your QB does consistently is give the other team the ball.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Based on the lack of talent in our QB room, I would take almost anyone off the portal, especially McCall.
By Tnobes
Ill flame wrote: ↑December 5th, 2022, 3:21 pm
Tnobes wrote: ↑December 5th, 2022, 2:49 pm I'm not sure it's a "clear upgrade"

McCall 2022- 2 fumbles (87 rushes), 2 Int (285 pass attempts)

Salter 2022- 5 fumbles (59 rushes), 5 int (129 pass attempts)

There's no doubt in my mind McCall would win us more games in 2023 if that's what he wanted. It's really hard to score when the only thing your QB does consistently is give the other team the ball.
You are comparing 🍎 to 🍊. One QB had starting experience and one pulled in and out more times than a gigolo. If anything you are making my point for me, give Salter the game time McCall had and then let's compare results. I'm not sure an SEC team recruited McCall
ballcoach15 liked this
By Tnobes
I know a lot of people give no regard to the star rankings. Sure there are a lot of unranked or 2 star kids that get to college and shine and make the NFL, there are also 4 and 5 star kids that turn out to be busts, but overall the scouts usually are pretty good in their evaluations. I'll take a 4 star QB and give him the reigns to show out over a 2 star player who has shown his ceiling most of the time. I could be wrong. McCall had a nice career and should be a Coastal Carolina hero but I believe Salter has a higher ceiling and I'm willing to take the growing pains in year one or 2 for a phenomenal year 3 or 4
ballcoach15 liked this
By Ill flame
I would care more about his star ratings if he wasn't so injury prone and uncoachable. Malik learned from his laziness at Auburn, I don't think Salter has done that yet and I worry if he ever will.
JCS Flames Fan 31 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
You don’t earn playing time in gametime. You earn it in practice. If Salter was the best, he would’ve played. Problem is, no one took control of that job after Brewer went down. Salter looked good, then he went down. Then Dae Dae went down and none of them looked good.

That job was JB’s for the taking, then Salter’s again for the taking. Heck, Hampton could’ve grabbed it.

Salter needs to learn to work. Can’t get by on talent alone. Needs to mature. If McCall or any other experienced starter wants to come take the job, by all means! Starting gigs aren’t just handed out.
By Tnobes
JK37 wrote: ↑December 5th, 2022, 5:08 pm You don’t earn playing time in gametime. You earn it in practice. If Salter was the best, he would’ve played. Problem is, no one took control of that job after Brewer went down. Salter looked good, then he went down. Then Dae Dae went down and none of them looked good.

That job was JB’s for the taking, then Salter’s again for the taking. Heck, Hampton could’ve grabbed it.

Salter needs to learn to work. Can’t get by on talent alone. Needs to mature. If McCall or any other experienced starter wants to come take the job, by all means! Starting gigs aren’t just handed out.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]