Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
I think it's a marker of a coach that loves to win the big game but can't get motivated to play lesser teams. I didn't realize it until someone pointed it out recently but this was a trend of his at ole miss too. He would beat Alabama and turn around and lose to vandy or another mediocre team.
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 10:19 am I think it's a marker of a coach that loves to win the big game but can't get motivated to play lesser teams. I didn't realize it until someone pointed it out recently but this was a trend of his at ole miss too. He would beat Alabama and turn around and lose to vandy or another mediocre team.
I almost feel like Freeze has the adrenaline junky personality. He has said he likes to do the "firsts" for a program and program turn arounds but isn't really a sustainer long term. Those are his words.

He also enjoys being in the center of giant packed out stadiums which is why he loves the SEC. That's what he lives for.

I don't think he would have enjoyed C-USA life, particularly if we lost a game or two and had no shot at a big lost season game.
Baybird liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 10:57 am
Ill flame wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 10:19 am I think it's a marker of a coach that loves to win the big game but can't get motivated to play lesser teams. I didn't realize it until someone pointed it out recently but this was a trend of his at ole miss too. He would beat Alabama and turn around and lose to vandy or another mediocre team.
I almost feel like Freeze has the adrenaline junky personality. He has said he likes to do the "firsts" for a program and program turn arounds but isn't really a sustainer long term. Those are his words.

He also enjoys being in the center of giant packed out stadiums which is why he loves the SEC. That's what he lives for.

I don't think he would have enjoyed C-USA life, particularly if we lost a game or two and had no shot at a big lost season game.
He absolutely does have that mentality
Kricket liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 4:18 pm Boy our bowl matchup is gonna be woof. On the bright side hopefully we beat them like we did EMU.
The Del Boca Vista Bowl!
Liberty22 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
With all the matchups now set, I noticed five bowls that match a G5 with a P5. I don’t know if that’s notable relative to other years, just found it slightly interesting.

I don’t have the time or enough of the interest to answer what G5’s record has been vs. P5 in bowls. But it does seem P5’s don’t wanna play G5’s.

There really aren’t very many good bowls.

Some of my most memorable experiences growing up were bowl trips: Gator x3, Sun, Fiesta, Sugar, Insight.com (now Arizona?), Carquest x2 (Fort Lauderdale), Duke’s Mayo. Like so many things I suppose, I didn’t appreciate it then for how cool it was. And just plain fun! Now, I’m looking at Boca like, can’t go but would love to. And it probably wouldn’t even be the same anyway.

There just aren’t very many good bowls anymore.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 12:23 am With all the matchups now set, I noticed five bowls that match a G5 with a P5. I don’t know if that’s notable relative to other years, just found it slightly interesting.

I don’t have the time or enough of the interest to answer what G5’s record has been vs. P5 in bowls. But it does seem P5’s don’t wanna play G5’s.

There really aren’t very many good bowls.

Some of my most memorable experiences growing up were bowl trips: Gator x3, Sun, Fiesta, Sugar, Insight.com (now Arizona?), Carquest x2 (Fort Lauderdale), Duke’s Mayo. Like so many things I suppose, I didn’t appreciate it then for how cool it was. And just plain fun! Now, I’m looking at Boca like, can’t go but would love to. And it probably wouldn’t even be the same anyway.

There just aren’t very many good bowls anymore.
Amen to that. Bowl tie-ins and the conferences picking the teams they place in certain bowls, lead to a somewhat corrupt system.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’ve never known the conferences to dictate the teams/matchups. I’m sure they have some influence, but every bowl contract I’ve reviewed gives the bowl committee the right to select the team in order agreed upon.

So if the gator Bowl has the second pick from the Big East, it doesn’t mean they have to take the second place team. WVU traveled so well that after the BCS they were always most desirable if still available.

VT travels well, too, I think, so they would also be desirable.

Just rally hard to get to a good bowl and/or matchup if you’re a G5.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 11:14 am I seem to recall a couple years ago, the SEC over ruled the initial SEC selection for Belk Bowl or Gator Bowl
So you don’t have any proof.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 1:11 pm In 2019, Tennessee threw a hissy fit and SEC switched Kentucky from Gator Bowl to the Duke Mayo bowl in Charlotte.
Source?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It was on some Kentucky website called aseaofblue or something like that. Google Kentucky vs Virginia Tech bowl game, then look on page 2 . That is how I found it.
By AATL
ballcoach15 wrote: December 29th, 2022, 9:56 am Liberty's opponents this past season are 6-1 in bowl games.
The Arkansas game was insane.

Future C-USA members (not named Liberty) are 3-0 with wins over the SBC, MWC, and MAC. Shame Liberty couldn't take care of business; it's been a good bowl season elsewhere.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
AATL wrote: December 29th, 2022, 10:05 am
ballcoach15 wrote: December 29th, 2022, 9:56 am Liberty's opponents this past season are 6-1 in bowl games.
The Arkansas game was insane.

Future C-USA members (not named Liberty) are 3-0 with wins over the SBC, MWC, and MAC. Shame Liberty couldn't take care of business; it's been a good bowl season elsewhere.
Maybe CUSA isn’t as bad as some on here think it is
ballcoach15, rtb72 liked this
By Ill flame
The fanbases across the conference are MAC level but anyone that thinks C-USA will be worse than the MAC aren't paying very close attention. The only real dumpster fires are FIU and NMSU but as long as jerry kill is healthy at NMSU they will be a 5+ win program. Especially if some of the top MWC gets poached, the G5 has gotten very watered down over the last couple rounds of realignment.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 29th, 2022, 11:34 am The fanbases across the conference are MAC level but anyone that thinks C-USA will be worse than the MAC aren't paying very close attention. The only real dumpster fires are FIU and NMSU but as long as jerry kill is healthy at NMSU they will be a 5+ win program. Especially if some of the top MWC gets poached, the G5 has gotten very watered down over the last couple rounds of realignment.
I see NMSU being LU’s ‘rival’ in CUSA
ballcoach15 liked this
By Ill flame
Purple Haize wrote: December 29th, 2022, 12:58 pm
Ill flame wrote: December 29th, 2022, 11:34 am The fanbases across the conference are MAC level but anyone that thinks C-USA will be worse than the MAC aren't paying very close attention. The only real dumpster fires are FIU and NMSU but as long as jerry kill is healthy at NMSU they will be a 5+ win program. Especially if some of the top MWC gets poached, the G5 has gotten very watered down over the last couple rounds of realignment.
I see NMSU being LU’s ‘rival’ in CUSA
Between them and WKU I think those will be the closest things we'll have to a rivalry until we move on to better things. WKU will be the top team for us to beat in football and NMSU for basketball. Both already have primary rivalries in the conference which makes it tough.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 29th, 2022, 1:15 pm I am looking forward to my first road trip to Las Cruces for softball.
Nothing like a 27 hour, 1,831 mile drive to watch an LU softball game. :shock: :oldhag

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gretna, ... 792887!3e0
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: December 29th, 2022, 1:27 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 29th, 2022, 1:15 pm I am looking forward to my first road trip to Las Cruces for softball.
Nothing like a 27 hour, 1,831 mile drive to watch an LU softball game. :shock: :oldhag

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gretna, ... 792887!3e0
It will be a 3 game series.

As for flying, I don't like airport hassle, flight delays, etc. Plus if I drive, I can stop in Alabama, going and coming.

also visit El Paso and Fort Bliss.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]