Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 1:46 pm I think we should at least give Dabo Swinney a courtsey call, to gauge interest.
Personally I’d rather go to Athens for Kirby.
aj7 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 5:26 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 1:46 pm I think we should at least give Dabo Swinney a courtsey call, to gauge interest.
Swinney would fit the mission of Liberty much better. I've never heard anything good about Smart, as a person. But I have met Swinney, and read/heard a lot about him. He would be a perfect fit for Liberty, even better than the Coach who just left.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 6:09 pm
aredd33 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 5:26 pm
Swinney would fit the mission of Liberty much better. I've never heard anything good about Smart, as a person. But I have met Swinney, and read/heard a lot about him. He would be a perfect fit for Liberty, even better than the Coach who just left.
Oh gosh you were serious.
JK37, ballcoach15, Liberty22 and 5 others liked this
By Tnobes
Tom Allen, clay helton, jamey chadwell.

What order do you rank them?

Helton and Allen have competed with the big boys and had success (and failures)

Chadwell would be the up and comer
By Tnobes
LUalum12 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 7:36 pm I think Chadwell is the #1 target but I could easily see it being Allen as well. Looks like Allen's buyout drops from 20 mil to 4 mil December 1st.
I'd be content with Tom Allen, he has passion, and seems like a good character guy. He did very well with Pinnix healthy and had outstanding wife receivers. I think Salter has Pinnix potential and could run an offense Tom Allen had for Pinnix. Indiana has struggled these last 2 seasons after very good seasons but they had a ton of injuries especially to QB's (sounds familiar). I think he'd retain some staff also.
By BlueBlood
LUalum12 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 7:36 pm I think Chadwell is the #1 target but I could easily see it being Allen as well. Looks like Allen's buyout drops from 20 mil to 4 mil December 1st.
Funny enough, I pulled up Allen’s contract info earlier today - just out of curiosity. And yes, the buyout drops this week. Matches well with the money LU will get from AU.

I have a weird hunch about him - not sure exactly why. But, his faith is obviously aligned. And, I think part of it is that I wonder if he’s tired of the grind at IU - where he has to work super hard for a 7 win season. IU is one of those teams that can’t out-recruit it’s peers. Their recruits are more similar to top end G5 than they are UM, OSU, PSU, etc. He could probably recruit the same players to LU. Lower end P5 can be a bit of a purgatory. Anyway, I’ve been wondering about him too.
By rtb72
Despite where he presently coaches, I like Chadwell. I think he can develop players and apparently has a good eye for talent in recruiting. He built CCU up pretty quick from his first year there...and they've been competitive ever since.
By Ill flame
BlueBlood wrote: November 29th, 2022, 8:06 pm
Funny enough, I pulled up Allen’s contract info earlier today - just out of curiosity. And yes, the buyout drops this week. Matches well with the money LU will get from AU.

I have a weird hunch about him - not sure exactly why. But, his faith is obviously aligned. And, I think part of it is that I wonder if he’s tired of the grind at IU - where he has to work super hard for a 7 win season. IU is one of those teams that can’t out-recruit it’s peers. Their recruits are more similar to top end G5 than they are UM, OSU, PSU, etc. He could probably recruit the same players to LU. Lower end P5 can be a bit of a purgatory. Anyway, I’ve been wondering about him too.
Indianas last recruiting class was ranked 30 with four 4* recruits not including transfers. If that's top end G5 level where do we sign up? Your point stands though. They have 3 guaranteed losses every year with Michigan state and Maryland always being more talented than them. Tom Allen's tenure at Indiana also coincides with the rise of Purdue from a laughing stock to a consistent 8 win team and Notre Dame reestablishing themselves as a consistent top 10 program. If I had to pick the hardest job in the big ten at the moment it would easily be Indiana and I have no sympathy for them.

Edit: i misunderstood what you were saying when you referred to upper end G5 talent. The talent difference between blue bloods and average P5 teams are massive.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I can get behind most of these names. Tom Allen was Big Ten Coach of the Year just 2 years ago! Wommack would be great too and maybe a higher ceiling. Gary Patterson? Talk about winning the Press Conference! Also, anyone that can win at Eastern MI has to be on anyone's short list. Talk about a tough place to win at!

Ian is the best in the business! We will keep rising!
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 9:49 pm Who is Wommack ? Never heard of him
That is because he is young. Look up South Alabama's record. Also, was up for the top Assistant Coach award a couple years back in the Big Ten.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 7:12 pm Not sure Indiana football counts as P5 football. :lol:
Truth. But I’ll absolutely take anyone with Indiana roots!
By Ill flame
jack_sparrow81 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 11:00 pm USF message boards are pretty sure they got Chadwell. Decision has already been made per schools but announcement will be this weekend.

Can't always believe the message boards though :D
Evidently the guy likes living near a coast. We have a lot to offer but unfortunately beaches aren't one of them.
By LUDad
rtb72 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 8:29 pm
Despite where he presently coaches, I like Chadwell. I think he can develop players and apparently has a good eye for talent in recruiting. He built CCU up pretty quick from his first year there...and they've been competitive ever since.
I have never been a fan of Chadwell, I suppose because of the rivalry. I knew his background with N. Greenville and Charleston Southern but I never connected him as a man of faith. But, I have to admit I was wrong after watching the podcast below.

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
If Allen wishes to leave Indiana before the expiration of his contract, he would owe the university a sum that decreases across the life of the deal. If he wants to break the contract before Nov. 30, 2022, for example, he would owe 50% of all his remaining salary (a figure well into eight figures). But if he wants to leave his contract between Dec. 1, 2022-Nov. 30, 2023, that number falls to a flat $4 million.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 559592007/
Here is an observation. LU played incredibly flat on Saturday as did Coastal with both losing lop-sided games. Hugh had already been in talks with Auburn. Has Chadwell been in talks with us as well as others that took his mind off of game-planning???
Cider Jim liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
jack_sparrow81 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 11:00 pm USF message boards are pretty sure they got Chadwell. Decision has already been made per schools but announcement will be this weekend.

Can't always believe the message boards though :D
I figured he'd end up at GA Tech ......but according to GoJackets.com, interim head football coach Brent Key is expected to be named the next Georgia Tech head football coach.

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.