Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By rtb72
JK37 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 11:55 pm He signed a new contract mid-season. Until Saturday when he was asked directly about it, that was his communication.

No one here is saying it’s right to give less than 100% to your employer. You’re free to choose to believe what you want about Freeze, @Tnobes, but you can’t prove it. You’ve been given many other possible reasons for the losses to UConn and VT. You’ve obviously chosen to ignore them, too. You’re still riding high on emotion, brother.

Let that dog lie. Move on.
Contracts shouldn't be the one's talking. Team wasn't led by a contract, or an agent. They were led by HF. That's not the way you lead. Can't prove he didn't give 100% nor more than one can prove he did. I believe the last three games (or at least the two prior to NMSt.) he admitted the coaching was an issue. He didn't really seem to have any answers about performance other than to say they have to "fix it" when asked about certain aspects of the game. Not sure about Tnobes, but this is just an observation and admittedly, an opinion.
Tnobes liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’m just saying many of you are setting an impossibly high bar. You will always be disappointed if you continue. And if you’ve never coached at an elite level, you’ll be frustrated by your lack of understanding.
By Tnobes
LUOrange wrote: November 28th, 2022, 10:26 pm
Tnobes wrote: November 28th, 2022, 9:38 pm
LUOrange wrote: November 28th, 2022, 9:31 pm I'm happy for Freeze and hope he does well at Auburn. I don't blame him for chasing his dreams and goals, and I still don't think he mailed it in against UConn and Tech. I, also think he was fairly torn about leaving us. I also think he truly meant to tell our Boys after the NMSU game. I'm disappointed that opportunity to help the Boys win one more was taken from him and especially from our Boys by the Press. I'll stand by this belief until it's proven otherwise.

Again, I can't fault a man for doing what he had to do to get his next/new job. As I said earlier, I had to do what I felt I needed to do to get my current job. However, where I'm most disappointed in him is the amount of influence he had on our immediate future as a program only to just leave us. I believe he had a huge influence on us dropping P5 games, joining CUSA, and then our announced intended non-conference scheduling philosophy. I believe this because he frequently complained about playing too many P5's, whined about being Indy, and even said he didn't want to play BYU again. The non-conference scheduling philosophy was his idea. Too make matters worse, he did away with the red matte eagle lid, gave us the ugly LU on the white one, and brought this baby blue scourge upon our campus.

Finally, I'm just glad that this weekend is over for us and our Boys. Hopefully, McCaw will bring in a great coach not named Briles, and bring back our red matte eagle lid.
You think telling them after the game was any better than them finding out before the game? He should have told them 2 or 3 weeks ago that he was exploring the possibility and nobody would have been mad. He was absolutely loved here and the way he handled it, a lot of people are sour on him, myself included
You must be really young and/or immature to honestly believe that that's how it works when one attempts to change a job, let alone a high profile one. You can't tell over a 150 people that you're looking or even thinking about leaving. That's not exactly smart. Just like game planning and secrets the fewer that know the better able you're able to pull it off. On top of that, I'm fairly certain that confidentiality was required of him by Auburn in order for him to land the job. I'd suggest you also watch ASOR's show from tonight on YouTube. Listen closely to what DeArmon had to say about it.
I remember Jesus being really cool with keeping people in the dark and not being straight forward with people, it makes it easier to pull fast ones on them for personal gain. Thanks for reminding me. I think a lot of you have accepted "that's how it works" as an excuse to function like the world works instead of how the kingdom of God works. Pretty sure being honest is closer in line with Christ then screwing your team right before the game. But that's just me. I know you can leave a job, get better pay and have all parties still thinking highly of you, it is possible to do both. Hugh Freeze didn't
By rtb72
JK37 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 12:11 am I’m just saying many of you are setting an impossibly high bar. You will always be disappointed if you continue. And if you’ve never coached at an elite level, you’ll be frustrated by your lack of understanding.
That's cute...

Never have coached at an elite level,but I have led, and there is no lack of understanding with me in that area. Elite level or not...elements of leadership do not change, and a head coach is first and foremost....a leader. While I hesitate to use Coach Sanders as an example, I will. I can respect this.

"Down the stretch of his team’s undefeated regular-season schedule, Deion Sanders addressed with his Jackson State players the outside coaching chatter of Sanders being a viable candidate at other college football programs.

On Monday, Coach Prime again followed through on his vow to maintain an open dialogue as Sanders’s coaching star continues to elevate with his work atop the Tigers’ program."

“I would be a liar if I told you (Colorado officials) didn’t [offer Sanders the job]. You know they did, I know they did, everybody there knows they did. It is what it is. That’s not my focus right now. My focus is to win and to be dominant and then, not even to go on to the dern celebration bowl, my focus is right here to be dominant in this beloved stadium on Saturday. That’s my focus. And I keep the main thing the main thing. I have an innate ability to focus and keep the main thing the main thing.”

"“Being in the spotlight ain’t new to me, but I’ve got to turn that spotlight and channel it to my kids, channel it to my coaches, channel it to the support staff.”

Is that they way I'm saying HCHF should have handled it? It was up to him and he chose a different path. That's fine.

Finally, It has nothing to do with whether you've coached at an elite level. That's just nonsense and arrogance.
Last edited by rtb72 on November 29th, 2022, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tnobes liked this
By Tnobes
Hugh did great things for this program nobody can deny that, but you can't say he handled his exit with integrity, honesty and grace. And you can't just say "this is how it works" or "he found himself in a difficult situation" or "this is just business" He is the one in charge of how he left and he was in charge of how the team found out by not getting out in front of it. He did many things right, the way he left was NOT one of them and it's too bad because he could have left liberty a hero and beloved legend no matter when he left if he had handled it better and that isn't "lack of understanding of coaching at an elite level"
By rtb72
Make no mistake with my posts. I do think he will still be a beloved legend and will be remembered positively by most. I want him to succeed and hope he does well. I think that helps LU in the long run. I think he loved our university and our kids. I really do not think this one last episode should take away from what he accomplished.
By Tnobes
I think how he will be remembered will be effected by what comes next, if we make a good hire and build on the last few years the way he left will be forgotten/forgiven. If the program regresses, next coach does terrible, I think people will point to how he left or at least be talking about "what if". But time does heal a lot of wounds and the only way we got a coach of Hugh Freeze's Caliber was because of his fall from grace, and his time in the SEC did put a spotlight on liberty and that was hugely beneficial to us. So he got something out of it and so did we, too bad it didn't end a little better. We are in a good place because of Hugh Freeze zero doubt about that
By rtb72
Tnobes wrote: November 29th, 2022, 12:53 am I think how he will be remembered will be effected by what comes next, if we make a good hire and build on the last few years the way he left will be forgotten/forgiven. If the program regresses, next coach does terrible, I think people will point to how he left or at least be talking about "what if". But time does heal a lot of wounds and the only way we got a coach of Hugh Freeze's Caliber was because of his fall from grace, and his time in the SEC did put a spotlight on liberty and that was hugely beneficial to us. So he got something out of it and so did we, too bad it didn't end a little better. We are in a good place because of Hugh Freeze zero doubt about that
I'm actually pretty excited about the next chapter. HCHF is fresh now...but I suspect learning who our new coach will be and the excitement surrounding that...will take care of a lot of the bitterness that may exist.
Tnobes, ballcoach15 liked this
By Tnobes
rtb72 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 12:58 am
Tnobes wrote: November 29th, 2022, 12:53 am I think how he will be remembered will be effected by what comes next, if we make a good hire and build on the last few years the way he left will be forgotten/forgiven. If the program regresses, next coach does terrible, I think people will point to how he left or at least be talking about "what if". But time does heal a lot of wounds and the only way we got a coach of Hugh Freeze's Caliber was because of his fall from grace, and his time in the SEC did put a spotlight on liberty and that was hugely beneficial to us. So he got something out of it and so did we, too bad it didn't end a little better. We are in a good place because of Hugh Freeze zero doubt about that
I'm actually pretty excited about the next chapter. HCHF is fresh now...but I suspect learning who our new coach will be and the excitement surrounding that...will take care of a lot of the bitterness that may exist.
Fully agree. I think the future is bright for lu football, and the sting of the last few days will be forgotten. Look forward to the new coach's introductory press conference putting on the Liberty baseball hat
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 11:55 pm He signed a new contract mid-season. Until Saturday when he was asked directly about it, that was his communication.

No one here is saying it’s right to give less than 100% to your employer. You’re free to choose to believe what you want about Freeze, @Tnobes, but you can’t prove it. You’ve been given many other possible reasons for the losses to UConn and VT. You’ve obviously chosen to ignore them, too. You’re still riding high on emotion, brother.

Let that dog lie. Move on.
It’s a great contrast the way Freeze handled it and the way Sanders is handling it. I much prefer the Sanders way. Especially if you are preaching honesty and transparency.
LU 57, rtb72 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: November 29th, 2022, 12:17 am I think a lot of you have accepted "that's how it works" as an excuse to function like the world works instead of how the kingdom of God works. Pretty sure being honest is closer in line with Christ then screwing your team right before the game. But that's just me. I know you can leave a job, get better pay and have all parties still thinking highly of you, it is possible to do both. Hugh Freeze didn't
I’m absolutely sure being honest is completely in line with Christ. So it’s not just you, brother. I’m right there with you on that one.

And, honesty doesn’t require you to tell everything to everyone at all times. And I know you know this, and I’ll prove it: have you ever had a conversation about the birds and the bees with a five year old? No. Why? They’re not ready for it. So you wait until the time is appropriate.

College coaching isn’t the same as any other job, chiefly because student-athletes aren’t employees. Heck, they’re not even fully mature adults yet. And, Saturday’s outcome proved telling the team 2-3 weeks earlier when Auburn initially reached out to HF’s agent , would have resulted in lopsided losses to UConn and VT, too - instead of the close, competitive games they were.

HF didn’t screw his team on Saturday. He didn’t wake up Saturday thinking, “Today’s the day I tell the team.” His agent fed a story to Pete Thamel, who reported it. The team read it, and asked Hugh about it. But we now know there was no offer until Monday. So what was there to tell?

I like Deion’s words. They sound nice, and he’s confirming an offer. That’s pretty easy to do once the offer has been confirmed by other sources in Colorado. HF couldn’t do that because there was no offer yet. Not three weeks ago, and not on Saturday.

Given all that proof on Saturday, I’m really not sure what HF could’ve said or done differently. I suppose the team could’ve asked him 2-3 weeks prior. Why didn’t they? What would he have said then that he didn’t say Saturday whe he was asked?

You seem sour about the three-straight losses. I am too! But you’re laying all blame at Hugh’s feet. He deserves responsibility; that’s what he’s paid very well for. And he’s always taken responsibility. (“We needed to coach better.”) But I didn’t see HF throw a single pass this season. Or take a single handoff. Or make a single tackle.

Jimmy Sexton is to blame for Saturday. And if you want to blame HF for THAT, I’ll join you. Because Jimmy Sexton is HF’s employee.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
See I’m going to disagree there. Freeze knew exactly what was going on. He needed to tell players that PROACTIVELY on Saturday. Waiting for the players to come to him was the fatal mistake. I absolutely agree with you that telling them a few weeks prior wasn’t wise. Especially considering another coach was the leading candidate. But by Saturday it was a done deal. Everyone knew it was going to happen. At worst he could have gott Out in front and told the guys “Hey look, I know the buzz that’s going around. We will absolutely talk about it but for right now we have a game to play and goals to accomplish. Let’s focus on those. Blah blah blah.
The fact he waited for the players to come to him damaged his credibility. The way he answered them destroyed it. Again, that’s fine if you’re Brian Kelly or someone. But if you’re hanging your hat on ‘family’ ‘transparency’ etc you screwed the pooch
Liberty22, rtb72, ballcoach15 and 1 others liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 12:20 am It has nothing to do with whether you've coached at an elite level. That's just nonsense and arrogance.
That was arrogant. I apologize.

And that’s my cue.
rtb72 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 29th, 2022, 2:04 am See I’m going to disagree there. Freeze knew exactly what was going on. He needed to tell players that PROACTIVELY on Saturday. Waiting for the players to come to him was the fatal mistake. I absolutely agree with you that telling them a few weeks prior wasn’t wise. Especially considering another coach was the leading candidate. But by Saturday it was a done deal. Everyone knew it was going to happen. At worst he could have gott Out in front and told the guys “Hey look, I know the buzz that’s going around. We will absolutely talk about it but for right now we have a game to play and goals to accomplish. Let’s focus on those. Blah blah blah.
The fact he waited for the players to come to him damaged his credibility. The way he answered them destroyed it. Again, that’s fine if you’re Brian Kelly or someone. But if you’re hanging your hat on ‘family’ ‘transparency’ etc you screwed the pooch
Yeah, you might be right. Players asking = it needs to be said.

Would the players have asked were it not for Thamel’s tweet?

And would Thamel have tweeted it were it not for Jimmy Sexton?
Purple Haize, rtb72 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Oh Sexton lit the fuse fo sho. Yeah it doesn’t hit ESPN and blowup on Social Media Friday/Saturday then the situation is normal. People were still reeling from Kiffin saying he was staying so Freeze could have made it to Sunday.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Do you think Kiffin was ever the target? Was Auburn talking to Sexton and Kiffin used as cover for the real conversation?

Also, maybe Hugh was “quiet quitting” the past 3 weeks.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 29th, 2022, 2:04 am But by Saturday it was a done deal. Everyone knew it was going to happen.
Not Ballcoach and his sources! :nono
By Tnobes
Purple Haize wrote: November 29th, 2022, 2:04 am See I’m going to disagree there. Freeze knew exactly what was going on. He needed to tell players that PROACTIVELY on Saturday. Waiting for the players to come to him was the fatal mistake. I absolutely agree with you that telling them a few weeks prior wasn’t wise. Especially considering another coach was the leading candidate. But by Saturday it was a done deal. Everyone knew it was going to happen. At worst he could have gott Out in front and told the guys “Hey look, I know the buzz that’s going around. We will absolutely talk about it but for right now we have a game to play and goals to accomplish. Let’s focus on those. Blah blah blah.
Finally something I agree with you on
By Tnobes
stokesjokes wrote: November 29th, 2022, 7:46 am Do you think Kiffin was ever the target? Was Auburn talking to Sexton and Kiffin used as cover for the real conversation?

Also, maybe Hugh was “quiet quitting” the past 3 weeks.
Kiffin may have been a target but he was never a possibility and Auburn knew that early on, ole Miss to Auburn is a side ways move mostly, Auburn has some advantages but a lot of drawn backs. I think sexton used Lane as a prop
By Tothehoopyall1
I agree. I think Freeze was who they wanted and now who they got. He is going to do well there and SEC coaches are more stressed today than they were yesterday. He will tear it up on the recruiting front.
By rtb72
JK37 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 2:05 am
rtb72 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 12:20 am It has nothing to do with whether you've coached at an elite level. That's just nonsense and arrogance.
That was arrogant. I apologize.

And that’s my cue.
No worries.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is a massive assumption that Auburn leaked the info to Thamel. I covered P5 athletics for two decades and the primary source of info was agents 80-90% of the time. Occassionally I would get someone on the inside of the Athletic Department to leak info. But typically that was only if they had a grudge.

My guess is Ole Jimmy strikes again. And for the record, I used to get info from him back in the day. He's a shrewd operator.

Small world, the guy who was the football SID at Auburn for decades is an old media buddy of mine. But he switched departments this past year.
LU 57 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]