Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By cruzan_flame13
I really hope we don't have to wait 10-15 years for another realignment. This conference is really atrocious when it comes to football. Maybe we can boost academia up and somehow get some interest in the ACC (at least) if they still exist around 2030. I would rather the Big XII though; just keeping my hopes up folks :lol:
Liberty22 liked this
By Ill flame
I don't know why we would be wasting our time with the ACC or big 12 when we could be focusing our efforts on the best conference with the best tv deal.... the Big Ten!

If it makes you feel any better we are probably looking at 6-8 years before we can get out of C-usa purgatory instead of 10-15 which should be just enough time for us to move up to R2 I hope.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: November 26th, 2022, 2:08 am I really hope we don't have to wait 10-15 years for another realignment. This conference is really atrocious when it comes to football. Maybe we can boost academia up and somehow get some interest in the ACC (at least) if they still exist around 2030. I would rather the Big XII though; just keeping my hopes up folks :lol:
I think B10 and SEC come calling for 4 ACC teams before 2030. Probably Duke and Virginia to B10 and Clemson and a Florida team to SEC.
Purple Haize liked this
By LUDad
BuryYourDuke wrote: November 25th, 2022, 11:37 pm I know we basically had no choice based on the way things were going….but what an absolute dumpster fire of a football conference. Not a single attractive game. Not even one.

Again, not criticizing the move, we did what we had to do. It’s just such a drop in quality that it is hard to be excited as a fan.
On the flipside, if we go undefeated, we have a good chance of playing in great bowl that is part of playoffs each year, perhaps even two great bowls with a hugh upset in first playoff game. Other two conferences will be knocking each other out.
ballcoach15 liked this
By sstaedtler
We aren't getting a Power 5 invite anytime soon. I think we should be playing some AAC teams to try to make our team attractive to that conference. Here's why:

1. Our athletic budget is like a mid-tier AAC team now.
2. We certainly have good enough facilities to be in the AAC and we had more attendance than 3 of their teams.
3. The AAC contract makes a lot more money than the Sun Belt one.
4. The Sun Belt has refused to take any private colleges, only public institutions. AAC already has 4 private college, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, and Rice.
5. Charlotte, East Carolina, and Navy would be local rivals, something we don't have now.
6. Sun Belt teams love their conference, but the Sun Belt is not a path to P5.

The only reason we aren't a candidate is academics, so we'd have to improve it.
By tyndal23
sstaedtler wrote: December 9th, 2022, 1:27 am We aren't getting a Power 5 invite anytime soon. I think we should be playing some AAC teams to try to make our team attractive to that conference. Here's why:

2. We certainly have good enough facilities to be in the AAC and we had more attendance than 3 of their teams.
4. The Sun Belt has refused to take any private colleges, only public institutions. AAC already has 4 private college, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, and Rice.
5. Charlotte, East Carolina, and Navy would be local rivals, something we don't have now.

Seems like you forgot “tv market” which was entire focus of AAC.
Ill flame, LUOrange, cruzan_flame13 and 1 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 6:37 am You can try to play them. Do they want to play you?

Maybe!
People always seem to forget that part of the equation
LUOrange, phoenix liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: December 9th, 2022, 1:27 am We aren't getting a Power 5 invite anytime soon. I think we should be playing some AAC teams to try to make our team attractive to that conference. Here's why:

I don't think academics has much to do with conference realignment. (remember Louisville joining ACC). Football drives the train, except for a couple basketball schools probably. I cannot see Charlotte being a rival for anyone except maybe Gardner Webb.
By cruzan_flame13
If the AAC thought we were valuable, they would've taken us the last round. Only way they'd do something if their conference isn't doing so well in the next few seasons and need a hopeful boost.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: December 9th, 2022, 2:23 pm ... and if we could quit giving them excuses not to invite us with scandal after scandal. That would help.
Bingo. That's the ticket right there.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 3:19 pm
Sly Fox wrote: December 9th, 2022, 2:23 pm ... and if we could quit giving them excuses not to invite us with scandal after scandal. That would help.
Not disagreeing at all, but every campus has something going on. This week local news here is reporting two sexual assaults at NC State.
BlueBlood, Tnobes, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 10:53 am
I don't think academics has much to do with conference realignment. (remember Louisville joining ACC). Football drives the train, except for a couple basketball schools probably. I cannot see Charlotte being a rival for anyone except maybe Gardner Webb.
95% of P5s (66 of 69 including notre dame) are R1. Wake forest, TCU and Baylor are the only R2s and there are no R3s like us.

Meanwhile only 24 G5s are R1 and everyone in the AAC (except navy) is R1 or R2. Markets can be overcome but academics are a huge deal. No G5 conference with options is going to add a R3 and no P5 conference with options will add a R2. It's just the way university presidents operate.
Purple Haize, Baybird, AATL liked this
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: December 9th, 2022, 4:09 pm
95% of P5s (66 of 69 including notre dame) are R1. Wake forest, TCU and Baylor are the only R2s and there are no R3s like us.

Meanwhile only 24 G5s are R1 and everyone in the AAC (except navy) is R1 or R2. Markets can be overcome but academics are a huge deal. No G5 conference with options is going to add a R3 and no P5 conference with options will add a R2. It's just the way university presidents operate.
So for less than our FB coaching staff budget annually, we can become R1 ? Seems like a pretty simple barrier to overcome...

https://ssti.org/blog/2021-carnegie-cla ... s-released
By JK37
Registration Days Posts

Louisville an R1?! Kinda shoots BC’s theory out of the water.
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 5:44 pm

So for less than our FB coaching staff budget annually, we can become R1 ? Seems like a pretty simple barrier to overcome...

To reach R2 its that simple but the "score high in a Research Activity Index calculation" part of the criteria is a much bigger barrier that will take us decades to reach.
By Tnobes
Because other universities don't have scandal after scandal cough Michigan State cough Ohio State cough Penn State cough duke cough Baylor cough Minnesota.............
LUOrange liked this
By Tnobes
aredd33 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 3:19 pm
Has absolutely nothing to do with it. Liberty's "scandals" are childs play compared to every other university in the nation
Kricket, LUOrange, Ill flame liked this
By Tnobes
cruzan_flame13 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 4:01 pm
We still wouldn't have been included if those scandals never existed. If it makes folks sleep well at night to believe that, then sure.
Liberty's scandals don't even make the radar outside of Virginia or Christan circles, the Hulu movie shows complete desperation to make the "scandal" look big to people but it didn't work
LUOrange liked this
By Tnobes
Ill flame wrote: December 9th, 2022, 6:34 pm

To reach R2 its that simple but the "score high in a Research Activity Index calculation" part of the criteria is a much bigger barrier that will take us decades to reach.
I wouldn't play their silly academia games. Just dominate on the football field, make the playoff consistently and they won't be able to ignore you. They are never going to "like" a private Christan school and are likely to just keep moving the bar and/or finding excuses.
By cruzan_flame13
Tnobes wrote: December 9th, 2022, 7:00 pm
Ill flame wrote: December 9th, 2022, 6:34 pm

I wouldn't play their silly academia games. Just dominate on the football field, make the playoff consistently and they won't be able to ignore you. They are never going to "like" a private Christan school and are likely to just keep moving the bar and/or finding excuses.
Bingo. That will always be an issue for us because LU is not just a Christian school by name. It's not hard to see the issue looking at how society operates. It will only get worse because Christ is the enemy. This is involved with academia and sports, but I suppose folks expect these presidents and donors from the "prestigious"schools to tell us that? Oh no, they have their fan bases to do that.
By Ill flame
Tnobes wrote: December 9th, 2022, 7:00 pm
BYU won a national championship with a fanbase at least 3 times bigger than ours and they were still ignored for decades with their R2 classification. If they were R1, P5 presidents would've been much more likely to hold their nose and vote for them to join their conference.

I see the us news and world report rankings as "academia games" but the carnegie classification is a pretty objective measure of a university's research activity. I would love to see Liberty invest heavily into research so the brightest Christian minds in the world will come here and be on the cutting edge of scientific breakthroughs.
Purple Haize, LUOrange liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]