If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Besides me anyone else watching?

The first round of Group play was crazy. Saudis Arabi over Argentina?
Poland and Mexico tie?
Japan over Germany in the Calsh of the Axis?
The US tie looked bad but after all this I’m not so sure. The new US Coach is supposed to be a reformer wanting to change US soccer. To my novice eye they actually looked better then in previous years. Ore relaxed and a bit more confident. But apparently Berhalter wants a different style just hasn’t used it. The pundits say he needs to against England. Go for broke, it’s the American way!

World Cup might be my favorite international sporting event. Might be my 2nd favorite tournament!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Have watched quite a bit myself. This time of year makes it easier for me to watch.

France and Spain look best I’ve seen so far. Intrigued to see Brazil today.
By Ill flame
I don't enjoy soccer but I do enjoy a good international tournament so i did watch the game against the whales. It felt like we really let that one slip through our fingers and it'll come back to haunt us. I guess we'll see.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I follow US soccer pretty closely and it’s no exaggeration to say this is by far the most talent we’ve ever had, which has a lot to do with how good we look. The problem is that all of our talent is like 20 years old, so expect some inconsistency and immaturity.

Gregg is a good coach, but he’s a system guy. International soccer is more suited to bringing in your best guys and coaching to that but Gregg will stick to his system no matter what. He likes to build out of the back and control the ball in the midfield, but we don’t create chances very well. Striker is also one of our weaker positions, so we can look really good and dominate possession and still draw like we did against Wales.

Gregg’s big test will be against England. If he adjusts tactics and we have a good showing, he’s safe. If he doesn’t and we don’t get out of the group stage, expect a new coach soon. Having our best squad in their prime at home in 2026 is our best chance to win the whole dang thing, USSF isn’t going to waste it on a coach who can’t adjust to his players.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 24th, 2022, 10:15 am I follow US soccer pretty closely and it’s no exaggeration to say this is by far the most talent we’ve ever had, which has a lot to do with how good we look. The problem is that all of our talent is like 20 years old, so expect some inconsistency and immaturity.

Gregg is a good coach, but he’s a system guy. International soccer is more suited to bringing in your best guys and coaching to that but Gregg will stick to his system no matter what. He likes to build out of the back and control the ball in the midfield, but we don’t create chances very well. Striker is also one of our weaker positions, so we can look really good and dominate possession and still draw like we did against Wales.

Gregg’s big test will be against England. If he adjusts tactics and we have a good showing, he’s safe. If he doesn’t and we don’t get out of the group stage, expect a new coach soon. Having our best squad in their prime at home in 2026 is our best chance to win the whole dang thing, USSF isn’t going to waste it on a coach who can’t adjust to his players.
All the US commentators seem to be pulling for him. Which can’t be said about the last guy!
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I’m sure it helps that he’s a former national team player and seems like a genuine guy. For my money, I’d be interested in a guy with a similar profile- Jesse Marsch. Current head coach at Leeds United, former national team player. He hasn’t had a good season at Leeds, but they’re fun to watch.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 24th, 2022, 12:07 pm Also, if Gio Reyna doesn’t play tomorrow, we riot
That baffled me almost as his explanation as to WHY he didn’t play
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I'm not watching, just following the results. Go USA!
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Iran beat Wales, which was probably best case scenario for us. Barring a complete shocker in the Wales/England game, all we have to do is beat Iran to advance.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
A win vs England would guarantee advancement if we at least tie Iran.

A tie vs England would guarantee a win against Iran advances us.

If we lose to England, England loses a bit of incentive to play hard against Wales, and Wales could easily beat England and advance in our spot even if we were to squeak out a win against Iran.

Moral of the story, the England game is almost as important to our advancement as the Iran game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You’ll never see Joe Rogan and Rob Page in the same room at the same time
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Most exciting tie EVER! Wish they’d played that way against Wales!
Man the US looks like they are finally taking that next step in their development. I’m positive this game against Iran won’t be easy but i love the Winner Stays Loser goes home aspect! Plus, it’s the Persians.
JK37, stokesjokes liked this
By Ill flame
The lack of scoring isn't necessarily the problem for me. After all I enjoy the occasional 1-0 hockey or baseball game or 10-7 football game as much as the next guy. The fact that there are so few scoring opportunities that bores me. There were only 4 total saves in today's game, meanwhile there are 30+ per team in an average hockey game.

Maybe soccer needs to start allowing power plays or something after fouls.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
It’s certainly a nuanced game, strategically. It’s beautiful that way. There’s a LOT that goes on 18 to 18. May not seem like it to the inspector fed eye, but I’m not sure. I was not much of a fan until I played it late in HS.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 25th, 2022, 11:45 pm It’s certainly a nuanced game, strategically. It’s beautiful that way. There’s a LOT that goes on 18 to 18. May not seem like it to the inspector fed eye, but I’m not sure. I was not much of a fan until I played it late in HS.
I played in HS. But I REALLY became a fan when I was in Argentina. I remember hearing about this Messi kid. How he’d be better than Maradonna. Amber even Pele. Kid turned out alright
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Lot of players couldn’t. It’s the only thing he hasn’t won
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SPOILER - Mexico Argentina

Maybe not. But I just finished watching the match. Messi is just a magician. It was so refreshing after watching LU play seeing a guy of historic caliber bring such unbridled joy and enthusiasm to his trade. It’s impossible not to root for this guy to take his team all the way! Not out of the woods yet but I needed that game to restore my faith in sports

Now to two teams from not the friendliest countries. France and Denmark 🤣
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I live surrounded by fans of El Tri. To say their lack of a goal through two games is not sitting well is an understatement.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
El Tri has been on the decline for years. They may not even be the 2nd best team in North America anymore.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 26th, 2022, 11:34 pm El Tri has been on the decline for years. They may not even be the 2nd best team in North America anymore.
Canada is looking good eh
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Having one of the best players in the world in Alphonso Davies certainly doesn’t hurt.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]