This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: July 25th, 2022, 1:48 pm Ballcoach, did you jump the construction fence and do a little B&E to get us this pic? :shock:
Cider, you need to "pinch hit" for me this weekend and get updated photo. I will be in Alabama. If you can't jump fence, borrow a drone.
Cider Jim liked this
By tyndal23
I saw a pic of a few rows of red chairs during scrimmage ...I don’t see any stacks of equipment or chairs from cam angles. Any one local have a scoop?
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: August 26th, 2022, 1:18 pm I saw a pic of a few rows of red chairs during scrimmage ...I don’t see any stacks of equipment or chairs from cam angles. Any one local have a scoop?
Those are the upper deck "Club" seats. As you know, the rest of the Baptist side will be blue. The rest of the seats/chairs are stacked in boxes to be set in place. I guess there's some preliminary things that have to be done before actually installing the chairs.
By Ill flame
I saw a rendering somewhere that had red seats on the lower portion of the west side, blue seats on the upper portion and red seats again on the club seats above the blue seats. I can't find it now but it looked pretty good.
By LUOrange
Anyone know what they're doing to the grass field and area that they cut into the embankment on either side of the 460 West interchange across from the Bill and next to the Extended Stay? Are they just more parking, or are they adding more buildings or business?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: August 26th, 2022, 1:18 pm ..I don’t see any stacks of equipment or chairs from cam angles. Any one local have a scoop?
I was at the stadium for the Flames Club luncheon today. The entire Baptist side concourse was full of dozens (if not hundreds) of large boxes that I assume are the new seats.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: August 26th, 2022, 9:21 pm Anyone know what they're doing to the grass field and area that they cut into the embankment on either side of the 460 West interchange across from the Bill and next to the Extended Stay? Are they just more parking, or are they adding more buildings or business?
Looked like a parking lot when I drove by today. Flattened with gravel and curbs.
By tyndal23
Cider Jim wrote: August 26th, 2022, 9:26 pm
tyndal23 wrote: August 26th, 2022, 1:18 pm ..I don’t see any stacks of equipment or chairs from cam angles. Any one local have a scoop?
I was at the stadium for the Flames Club luncheon today. The entire Baptist side concourse was full of dozens (if not hundreds) of large boxes that I assume are the new seats.
Excellent - was worried they were stuck in transit.
By LUOrange
stokesjokes wrote: August 26th, 2022, 9:39 pm
LUOrange wrote: August 26th, 2022, 9:21 pm Anyone know what they're doing to the grass field and area that they cut into the embankment on either side of the 460 West interchange across from the Bill and next to the Extended Stay? Are they just more parking, or are they adding more buildings or business?
Looked like a parking lot when I drove by today. Flattened with gravel and curbs.
That's my guess too. Just trying to get some confirmation from the experts.
stokesjokes liked this
By Ill flame
I've noticed the last two freshman classes have been larger than normal with the 2021 freshman class breaking the record and the 2022 class being just short of the record. We are now at an all time high enrollment of 15,800 according to the article below. Are we officially working toward expanding the on campus enrollment again? If so I imagine new dorms are likely the next big project on campus. I believe they've been at capacity for years.

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2022/09/13 ... -over-uab/
LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We are back utilizing old converted hotels to handle the overflow. Some of us old hags remember those experiences from our '80s growing pains.

In answer to your question, I do expect more dorms are on the agenda. Whether that is sooner or later depends on cash flow these days.
By Ill flame
My last comment on this thread aged well. I guess even a blind clock finds a nut every once in awhile. What is the next phase of the master plan? 650 more students on campus is great but I'm curious if we will see even more dorms after this one is built. With the way this school is growing I'm not sure if that'll be enough to keep up with demand.
By cruzan_flame13
Ill flame wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:34 pm My last comment on this thread aged well. I guess even a blind clock finds a nut every once in awhile. What is the next phase of the master plan? 650 more students on campus is great but I'm curious if we will see even more dorms after this one is built. With the way this school is growing I'm not sure if that'll be enough to keep up with demand.
Take a look at the link that I'll post below. You'll see some things occurred before the projected date and other things that has been put on hold. Maybe it's me, but it looks like LU has stalled increasing the residential population as low as possible to focused on the online aspect of education(which one would think they'd improve on but who knows). It would be nice if they continued with the south campus development which would be a mixture of residential dorms , two school buildings, a small chapel (students/weddings/other events), car garage, tower and a little lake. Not sure they'll establish that lake because they'd have to demolish the hospital dorm which doesn't seem like they'd do since they are planning to add extended elevators for the floors. If that's the case, it' ll be cool to add two/three more dorms that is similar to Commons I/II then three that is similar to Commons IV to surround the hpspital dorm (keep that as a historical building for future flames). There's so many other things mentioned in other blueprints but maybe that will come into the light with new leadership and hopefully an improved room of BOT's. I'll conclude by stating that there's so much space on the east side of campus (parking spaces on the south east side) and the extended road where the natatorium/indoor track facility location. Here's the link with the project book of the master plan:

https://issuu.com/chenlu7/docs/lu_maste ... 0116_print
Last edited by cruzan_flame13 on November 16th, 2022, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m curious why they don’t build the dorms over sub level parking garages. Seems it would be a nice solution
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I heard something a long time ago about it being pretty difficult around Lynchburg to dig very deep for something like that.

Something about the hard clay soil? I could be wrong…
By cruzan_flame13
JK37 wrote: November 17th, 2022, 9:30 am I heard something a long time ago about it being pretty difficult around Lynchburg to dig very deep for something like that.

Something about the hard clay soil? I could be wrong…
Could be because the rendering of the previous Common IV blueprint had a sub garage included as well.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]