Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Dalegarz1
If you clicked on this link, my title worked! I know some of you are closer to reliable sources than I am so as training camp proceeds what is the news on who might be emerging? I read what HF has said and obviously he will play it close to the vest. I respect your opinions and would like to hear your thoughts- both substantiated and unsubstantiated!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Click bait. Not cool. :nono :liar :nonono
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Even when it was obvious that Malik was going to be the starter after sitting out his transfer year, Coach Freeze played it really tight up until close to the season opener. My guess is with as wide open as this competition likely is, he will have zero incentive to push somebody to the front of the line. Let them earn the spot.
Cider Jim, Baybird, LUOrange liked this
By rtb72
Sly Fox wrote: August 8th, 2022, 10:11 am Even when it was obvious that Malik was going to be the starter after sitting out his transfer year, Coach Freeze played it really tight up until close to the season opener. My guess is with as wide open as this competition likely is, he will have zero incentive to push somebody to the front of the line. Let them earn the spot.
HCHF clearly wants and loves competition in all, but especially QB position, and he's made no bone about it...just because you start Game 1, doesn't mean you will start in another game.
By LUOrange
I still believe Brewer will be the man and unless he really stinks it up, he'll be the man all season. I think HCHF specifically brought him in because of this year's schedule. I expect JB to be the backup again, but wouldn't be surprised if Hampton or Salter become the backup. I also expect all 4 to play some, unless someone enters the portal and I expect 1 o2 will do so. Especially, when you consider the 2 high schoolers that have already committed as well.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
4-star Salter didn't transfer from UTK to sit the bench, so I hope Coach Freeze can find a creative way to use him, like when Coach Rocco played Mike Brown one year as a receiver.
Cider Jim wrote: August 9th, 2022, 7:11 pm 4-star Salter didn't transfer from UTK to sit the bench, so I hope Coach Freeze can find a creative way to use him, like when Coach Rocco played Mike Brown one year as a receiver.
He didn't exactly transfer under normal circumstances either.
By Ill flame
It wouldn't make sense for anyone to enter the portal if brewer wins the starting spot this year. We will be right back to having a QB battle again next year and there aren't many places in the country where someone can transfer and be handed the starting role without having starting experience. If Salter wins the battle and establishes himself as our QB of the future this season I expect some transfers behind him.
flamehunter liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 2:55 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 10th, 2022, 1:48 pm When the dust settles, Salter will be starting QB, according to my radar screen.
I guess your radar is still a bit dusty.
All BC needs is for Salter to start 1 game over the next four years and he will consider his inside info will be 100% correct.
ballcoach15, alabama24 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 4:22 pm
alabama24 wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 2:55 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 10th, 2022, 1:48 pm When the dust settles, Salter will be starting QB, according to my radar screen.
I guess your radar is still a bit dusty.
All BC needs is for Salter to start 1 game over the next four years and he will consider his inside info will be 100% correct.
Nailed it
ballcoach15 wrote:Ya'll need to be patient, and stay calm.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
This may be a weird take, but I don’t think JB is second-in-line as starter. I think he’s QB2 because he’s a mature leader who will handle the QB2 duties well, but if Brewer goes down, I don’t think JB steps in as starter.
By Ill flame
stokesjokes wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 8:27 pm This may be a weird take, but I don’t think JB is second-in-line as starter. I think he’s QB2 because he’s a mature leader who will handle the QB2 duties well, but if Brewer goes down, I don’t think JB steps in as starter.
Makes sense to me. I think Bennett is the guy most capable of keeping himself mentally prepared to step into a game at any time if the starter gets hurt. It's already something he did all last year with decent results. Salter may need a week or two of practice with the 1st team to get up to speed before he is ready to execute. The maturity difference between a redshirt freshman and a redshirt junior can be huge.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
One take on all of this is that it's a positive early sign. The coaching staff believes they can have a winning season with this roster. So, Brewer is the logical choice in the win-now scenario.

Bennet as back-up is exactly what you should expect to see with Brewer leading the team. That's JB's role and he's a natural fit there. It also mitigates QB controversy. Makes a ton of sense.

Salter & Hampton's potential appears to be equal at this stage. My guess is that if the season starts going south, we'll likely see both. Add the new guy next fall. Who knows? It's all YTBD.
LUOrange liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]