If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Sun Belt-Espn
Pac-12-Espn
MW-?
Big 12-Espn
AAC-Espn
CUSA-TBD
SEC-Espn

Espn has a lot of airtime to fill, but plenty of conferences to pull from. Could get creative and try the Amazon/Netflix/HULU route.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: August 8th, 2022, 10:54 pm Either they are in a big market and will help sell a conference network to that market (rutgers bringing the B1G network to NYC)
I hear this said, but I don't understand it when applied in this situation. Nobody watches Rutgers. Nobody cares about Rutgers. if people in NYC wanted to watch football, they would watch football. Nobody in NYC is watching more football because Rutgers is in the "B10"
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I hear this said, but I don't understand it when applied in this situation. Nobody watches Rutgers. Nobody cares about Rutgers. if people in NYC wanted to watch football, they would watch football. Nobody in NYC is watching more football because Rutgers is in the "B10"
[/quote]

Most accurate post ever, on this message board.
LUOrange liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: August 10th, 2022, 1:40 pm
Ill flame wrote: August 8th, 2022, 10:54 pm Either they are in a big market and will help sell a conference network to that market (rutgers bringing the B1G network to NYC)
And I think this has been pointed out before as a flaw in expansion/realignment plans since the Rutgers move was made per the results in viewership since.
By Ill flame
alabama24 wrote: August 10th, 2022, 1:40 pm
It's pretty naive to think it was ever about someone actually watching Rutgers. They knew Rutgers wouldn't bring more eyeballs to the product, the B1G just needed leverage to sell BTN to cable providers in NYC and it worked exactly as planned. Not a single Rutgers fan needed to watch a football game for the conference to make tens of millions of dollars off of them. According to this article the number of btn subscribers increased by about 8-9 million after adding Rutgers and Maryland. Based on a quick google search btn charges $1.86 a month per subscriber. That's roughly an extra $180-$200 million a year more revenue for their network.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/big-ten-net ... nopaging=1
By Ill flame
Then what does that say about the value of the SEC if they are still behind the B1G in revenue after adding two of the biggest brands in the country?
By Have_a_Gansett_2011
Ill flame wrote:Then what does that say about the value of the SEC if they are still behind the B1G in revenue after adding two of the biggest brands in the country?
That in spite of the SEC's football success, the B1G is a superior overall conference.

Better basketball (Same number of titles - 11, B1G is way deeper)
Better Olympics, save for baseball/softball
(no one cares about softball)
Wealthier alumni
More alumni
Deep traditions
Better TV markets
More teeth (both literally and figuratively)

Big Ten forever!
PAmedic liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Not that anybody cares much about anything aside from football & mens hoops, but both superconferences brought in two programs that substantially raise the game in all the other sports. In most cases they supplant the existing big dogs.

And I would check those alumni numbers. Per capita, they are pretty even. As for the wealth of the alumni, Texas and USC take things to a whole new level and do so in growing markets ... unlikely the great shrinking Rust Belt.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have always had some difficulty distinguishing between the Big 10 and the MAC. If you're not in SEC, ACC (and some Big 12 schools), I'm not impressed. I do like Northwestern and Penn State from B10.
All sports considered, the SEC is best conference. No one is a close 2nd.
By Ill flame
The current Big ten has 5.7 million living alumni with a median enrollment around 46,000. The SEC has 3.9 million living alumni with a median enrollment at around 31,000. With B1G alumni being much more spread out around the country it makes sense why they generally do better tv ratings while the SEC has higher attendance numbers.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
And guess where are a large majority of those alumni now live and have their kids going to school? Places like Texas, Georgia & Florida. Most of my neighbors are B1G alumni whose kids are now Longhorns & Aggies. The world is changing. Quickly.

For the record, UT-Austin has nearly half a million alumni from their school alone inlcuding Mrs. Sly. Can't wait to see if A&M or UCF will have the highest enrollment this fall. They keep battling back and forth in recent years. Texas has been working hard to downsize their enrollment which used to be the nation's largest. The SEC is going to be just fine moving forward.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Have_a_Gansett_2011 wrote: August 16th, 2022, 2:04 pm
Ill flame wrote:Then what does that say about the value of the SEC if they are still behind the B1G in revenue after adding two of the biggest brands in the country?
That in spite of the SEC's football success, the B1G is a superior overall conference.

Better basketball (Same number of titles - 11, B1G is way deeper)
Better Olympics, save for baseball/softball
(no one cares about softball)
Wealthier alumni
More alumni
Deep traditions
Better TV markets
More teeth (both literally and figuratively)

Big Ten forever!
I disagree about better Olympics. USC and UCLA will help in that regard, but in the past 22 years current B1G teams rarely won titles in the running sports, occasionally won titles in soccer, only 1 title in women's gymnastics (Michigan in 2021), not that great in swimming, and also have a dearth of titles in golf and tennis. USC and UCLA would have closed that gap quite a bit, but with the SEC adding Oklahoma and Texas, the gap will likely widen.
alabama24 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
McMurphy dropped this yesterday ...

The only question now is how this will go down. Nothing moves until the ND details get worked out and the NIL is a potential sticking point in negotiations. Swarbrick went ont he record back when Full Cost of Attendance first emerged as saying that the Irish would not have interest in paying players should that become the next step. The economics have changed over the past few years and they mave have a different mindset today in South Bend. But I suspect that there are a number of details to be worked out.

This is the kiss of death for the Pac. My guess is the ACC schools are safe as long as ND chooses to stay Indy. Stanford, Oregon & Washington have the be the first three after the Irish because they are available without GoR and can be had on the cheap bringing new markets and late TV slot availabilities. The new B1G media deal with NBC gives ND the flexibility to stay Indy for several years longer. But how that goes down will determine a number of factors for the aforementioned Pac-3. They likely will likely have to join to B1G wth reduced compensation for the first decade.

Then next dominoes to fall with be Arizona, Arizona State, Utah & Colorado joining the Big XII with are now referred to in realignment circles as the Corner-4. They could go even bigger by adding Cal & San Diego State to see the Pacific Time Zone in their upcoming media deal.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
With these Leagues getting bigger I think it’s going to be tougher for ND to find quality P5 opponents to fill out that Oct Nov schedule. The ACC is the best fit with the most chairs left But long term stability and fit points towards the B1G. Since the B1G would also become a Sea to Shining Sea Conference it is a great Alumni fit as well. If ND tried to stay Independent they fish becoming irrelevant
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: August 20th, 2022, 12:00 pm With these Leagues getting bigger I think it’s going to be tougher for ND to find quality P5 opponents to fill out that Oct Nov schedule. The ACC is the best fit with the most chairs left But long term stability and fit points towards the B1G. Since the B1G would also become a Sea to Shining Sea Conference it is a great Alumni fit as well. If ND tried to stay Independent they fish becoming irrelevant
September quality games for ND would be more of a worry. ACC has them covered for Oct / Nov. IF USC drops them - they typically play late in the season, ( I could see that happening - regardless of tradition ) Expanded playoff will keep ND relevant for as long as they want.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: August 20th, 2022, 1:59 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 20th, 2022, 12:00 pm With these Leagues getting bigger I think it’s going to be tougher for ND to find quality P5 opponents to fill out that Oct Nov schedule. The ACC is the best fit with the most chairs left But long term stability and fit points towards the B1G. Since the B1G would also become a Sea to Shining Sea Conference it is a great Alumni fit as well. If ND tried to stay Independent they fish becoming irrelevant
September quality games for ND would be more of a worry. ACC has them covered for Oct / Nov. IF USC drops them - they typically play late in the season, ( I could see that happening - regardless of tradition ) Expanded playoff will keep ND relevant for as long as they want.
But if the ACC dissolves then where are they? Conversely if the ACC expands and they don’t join where are they?
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: August 20th, 2022, 2:01 pm
tyndal23 wrote: August 20th, 2022, 1:59 pm
But if the ACC dissolves then where are they? Conversely if the ACC expands and they don’t join where are they?
Dissolves - won’t happen. ( there aren’t enough quality ACC teams to create a majority exodus - BIG would take 2-4 from PAC - WA, OR,Cal,Stanford) Expands - doesn’t matter - ND is locked in with scheduling agreement until 2036 and pay a penalty if they do join another conference other than ACC. They can afford to break it and join Big 10 - still a possibility...I see SEC letting Big go to 20 and wait it out until a couple years before ACC tv deal expires then grabbing Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC. I wish they would actually go to 24 each NOW and bust up ACC and let the rest of us play actual college football.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The ACC GoR isn’t as iron clad as you think. IF the rumored defections to the SEC happen it makes it a much less appealing league for ND. So while it may not dissolve entirely it won’t have the prestige it does now
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: August 20th, 2022, 2:53 pm The ACC GoR isn’t as iron clad as you think. IF the rumored defections to the SEC happen it makes it a much less appealing league for ND. So while it may not dissolve entirely it won’t have the prestige it does now
If that is true, then I guess ACC should have used same contract writers Big 12 did - Texas and OU are two of the highest grossing Athletic Departments and didn’t try and bust GOR.
By Ill flame
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... cket-sales

In another sign that it was probably a good idea to join a conference while the offer was available. The SEC is looking very likely to go to 9 conference games once OUT joins and they renegotiate that espn deal. This likely means those 16 teams will be replacing a second G5 game for another conference game instead of their P5 or FCS game.
LUOrange liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: August 20th, 2022, 2:24 pm I wish they would actually go to 24 each NOW and bust up ACC and let the rest of us play actual college football.
:lol:

I will keep beating this drum, but these "mega" conferences should happen and they should be FOOTBALL ONLY. Teams like Vandy should be let go from the football conference.

Regional rivalries, where fans can drive from school to school, are best for most every other sport.
ATrain, LUOrange liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]