If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Campbell is off to the CAA.

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
It does make me chuckle a little bit to watch the once mighty CAA grasping at big south scraps to survive. My how things have changed in a decade.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The CAA is a good Ft for Campbell IMO. Is it wrong I forgot The Big South still existed?
LUOrange liked this
By LU 57
JK37 wrote: August 6th, 2022, 12:08 am Boston, Philadelphia, Hampton, Greensboro…..Buies Creek?
I mean I hear you, but Buie’s Creek is only 25 miles from Raleigh. That said, there is not much in the immediate vicinity.

Personally, I am glad to see another southern school move into the CAA.
ATrain liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: August 6th, 2022, 12:08 am Boston, Philadelphia, Hampton, Greensboro…..Buies Creek?
Buies Creek is so far south they grow COTTON there! :shock:
LUOrange, LU 57 liked this
By LU 57
Cider Jim wrote: August 6th, 2022, 10:59 am
Plenty of cotton in Isle of Wight and Suffolk.
ATrain liked this
By Ill flame
I don't understand what the end game would be at that point. Yes those are the three biggest remaining brands in the south but they won't add much if any tv money to the league on a per school basis. North Carolina seems to be a better target but they may be more interested in joining the B1G if that option is available. I don't see notre dame moving to the B1G anytime soon anyway. This is too big of a decision to rush and the offer will always be there from the B1G.

I've said it before but i hope we've seen the end of realignment for at least a few more years until we can firmly establish ourselves as a top g5 brand. I doubt we would be getting a call from the ACC but you never know where we could end up if Clemson, Florida St, Miami, North Carolina and/or Virginia leave for the SEC or B1G. All I know is that it would probably cause the most chaos since the big east became the AAC.
By rtb72
Cider Jim wrote: August 6th, 2022, 10:59 am
Elon University is just a short drive west of Campbell. Elon has a heavy footprint in the Northeast, so I sort of understand their affiliation. Campbell however....I don't think they do. Nevertheless, they should be competitive all the way around. They usually have a strong basketball program, and their football is up and coming I believe.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: August 6th, 2022, 10:42 pm I don't understand what the end game would be at that point. Yes those are the three biggest remaining brands in the south but they won't add much if any tv money to the league on a per school basis. North Carolina seems to be a better target but they may be more interested in joining the B1G if that option is available. I don't see notre dame moving to the B1G anytime soon anyway. This is too big of a decision to rush and the offer will always be there from the B1G.

I've said it before but i hope we've seen the end of realignment for at least a few more years until we can firmly establish ourselves as a top g5 brand. I doubt we would be getting a call from the ACC but you never know where we could end up if Clemson, Florida St, Miami, North Carolina and/or Virginia leave for the SEC or B1G. All I know is that it would probably cause the most chaos since the big east became the AAC.
No ACC teams are going anywhere - $ 500 million exit fee . A decade from now they can start “ talking” about it. As I have said before, unless a 3rd party comes in and “invites” teams and not full conferences in to a new non NCAA league and tv “ grant of rights” are deemed legally non bonding for non NCAA entities and football is separated from other sports or deemed a “club sport” - math just doesn’t work. Example - worst case Alabama keeps a full walk on football team to appease their “ grant of rights” obligation ( if push came to shove) but has a “club team” non NCAA with their own tv deal ( million creative ways to get around). This nonsense of trying to get 2 super leagues with existing conference bottom feeders makes zero sense. Lawsuits galore, congress intervention the second they start trying to kick out existing conference members...
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: August 7th, 2022, 1:45 am
No ACC teams are going anywhere - $ 500 million exit fee . A decade from now they can start “ talking” about it. As I have said before, unless a 3rd party comes in and “invites” teams and not full conferences in to a new non NCAA league and tv “ grant of rights” are deemed legally non bonding for non NCAA entities and football is separated from other sports or deemed a “club sport” - math just doesn’t work. Example - worst case Alabama keeps a full walk on football team to appease their “ grant of rights” obligation ( if push came to shove) but has a “club team” non NCAA with their own tv deal ( million creative ways to get around). This nonsense of trying to get 2 super leagues with existing conference bottom feeders makes zero sense. Lawsuits galore, congress intervention the second they start trying to kick out existing conference members...
The current annual payout in the ACC is around $40 million a year. If a school can make $100 million a year in the SEC wouldn't it makes sense to pay off that exit fee and still come out $20 million a year ahead? The fee wouldn't be paid all at once so that won't be an issue. I'm sure I'm missing important pieces of the equation but an exit fee feels meaningless when we are talking about such large discrepancies in revenue. Not to mention it'll be years before a school would actually leave the ACC after it's announced which significantly reduces the buyout.

Also you're right about there being all kinds of political and legal issues if conferences got greedy and tried to kick members out. I don't think there's an appetite for it either way. University presidents love being associated with the vanderbilts and northwesterns of the world so they won't mind taking a small financial loss to keep them around.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The ACC Grant of Rights is nowhere near as lock solid cinch as it used to be. There are a million discussions about whether it would stand up in a court of law. I doubt we ever get to that point.

And why would the SEC want both FSU & the U? They are in a state that is doubling its own population every few decades and is already a massive head count. The B1G is focused primarily in markets where population is headed the other way ... at least until the SoCal twins come around.

Notre Dame remains a national brand and could do as it pleases. Being stuck in miserable Northern Indiana is not the issue for them that it is for every other school surrounding them. I do agree that I don't see the Domers joining either league in next few years. But it remains a real possibility. Thena again, I didn't see the folks in Austin slumming it academically in the SEC. But here we are.
By Ill flame
The way I see it schools provide value in one of two ways in realignment. Either they are in a big market and will help sell a conference network to that market (rutgers bringing the B1G network to NYC) or they bring a lot of eyeballs to the product despite being in a smaller market (Nebraska). No

I was looking at the most watched programs from last year and Miami makes little sense to me. They really don't bring a new market since Florida helped bring the sec network to the entire state already and Miami would be at or near the bottom of the conference in TV viewership. Plus they aren't a very good athletic department.

Florida St and Clemson would be middle of the pack in the SEC in terms of tv viewership but at least they are great fits for the conference in every other way I can think of. Not so much for Miami.
By Ill flame

Looks like the B1G will be going all in on getting their games on OTA networks while the SEC went all in on espn. It'll be interesting to see how this will play out over the coming years if this tweet is true. As the NHL learned espn has a lot of influence in the sports world and will hype up the SEC like the super bowl champ couldn't beat vandy while ignoring the big ten. On the other hand an Iowa vs Minnesota game on CBS or NBC will get more eyeballs than almost any game on ESPN.
flamehunter liked this
By BlueBlood
Ill flame wrote: August 9th, 2022, 12:14 am Looks like the B1G will be going all in on getting their games on OTA networks while the SEC went all in on espn. It'll be interesting to see how this will play out over the coming years if this tweet is true. As the NHL learned espn has a lot of influence in the sports world and will hype up the SEC like the super bowl champ couldn't beat vandy while ignoring the big ten.
Yeah, as a Penn State guy (daughters are LU) this concerns me a bit. The NHL coverage is the perfect example. The year after ESPN lost the NHL contract, it was easier to learn a Drone Racing League result or NBA D-League score than an NHL score on ESPN. They totally ghosted the NHL. I watch College Football Live almost every night, and it has been very obvious this year that CFL has basically turned into an SEC/ACC Network product. I know that quite a few of my B1G friends have made the switch from College Game Day to Fox's Big Noon Kickoff show on Saturdays. I still like the CGD vibe/tradition/personalities, but its looking like I'll have to make the switch soon. If ESPN doesn't have part of the package, CGD will be unbearable to watch for fans of any B1G team.
Ill flame liked this
By Ill flame
BlueBlood wrote: August 9th, 2022, 8:49 am
Yeah, as a Penn State guy (daughters are LU) this concerns me a bit. The NHL coverage is the perfect example. The year after ESPN lost the NHL contract, it was easier to learn a Drone Racing League result or NBA D-League score than an NHL score on ESPN. They totally ghosted the NHL. I watch College Football Live almost every night, and it has been very obvious this year that CFL has basically turned into an SEC/ACC Network product. I know that quite a few of my B1G friends have made the switch from College Game Day to Fox's Big Noon Kickoff show on Saturdays. I still like the CGD vibe/tradition/personalities, but its looking like I'll have to make the switch soon. If ESPN doesn't have part of the package, CGD will be unbearable to watch for fans of any B1G team.
I have the same concern but I think this situation is a little different than the NHL one. You can't really have a cgd without talking about the biggest brands (aka fanbases). Not mentioning Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St is like the mlb network not talking about the Yankees, red Sox and cardinals. It wouldnt completely kill the show but it would definetely lower ratings enough to make espn hurt if they tried to pull something like that. Meanwhile it didn't hurt espn to ignore the NHL because that sport isn't super mainstream and coincides with the NBA, college basketball, NFL/cfb for half the season and MLB during the playoffs. ESPN just isn't hurting for content during that part of the year. Unfortunately for them there is a demand for cfb and the B1G makes up a large percentage of that demand.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let the record show that it appears that not all B1G will be over the air. Amazon & Apple are dueling for the digital rights. It appeared that Amazon would get those on the cheap side until the USC/UCLA component turned into a gamechanger for the execs at Apple. We'll see how this shakes out.

Yes, ESPN could easily ignore B1G games on CGD. There are always compelling options every week all season. And no one wants to promote content on an opposing platform. Could Sports Center just drop scores in the crawl for most B1G games while highlighting content on their platforms? Of course. Will that stop people from caring about Ohio State & Michigan? Absolutely not.

The interesting aspect to me is now not on the B1G but how this impacts ESPN's trategy everywhere else. After all of the drama between ESPN & the Big XII a year ago, do suddenly they make more sense now as partners moving forward? Could a contract with the Big XII allow ESPN to get access to the teams they want in the pac-12 without having to pay for the ones they don't? Or vice versa.
By LUOrange
More importantly and locally, does ESPN losing out on the Big 10 help little ol'CUSA and Liberty get a little better TV-streaming contract?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]