If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 9:55 am Notre Dame is obviously the only thing holding up this process. They still have their NBC football deal. But I suspect the B1G would be happy to work with them in exchange for bringing their brand into the fold. Once again, that may result in another Indiana school or two getting the boot. And while the SEC sounds like a crazy idea for folks in South Bend, we are talking billion dollar business these days. So anything is possible.

Allegedly Washington & Oregon are waiting on the Irish to find out if they get an invitation to the $100M+ Club. Stanford seems less enthusiastic but obviously would be the final piece to sew up the Pacific Time Zone for the B1G. The folks in Berkeley know their position in the food chain.

The big question now becomes do the two super leagues go to 24 schools apiece? I honestly think that is the endgame. But that could be a short or long term agenda. There is no question that Sankey is feeling the heat to improve his position.

If the Pac craters, the Big XII obviously is best positioned to move on the leftovers. And there are some very valuable properties to be had. Cal would freak about being in the same league with Baylor & BYU but realignment makes for some strange bedfellows. And the Bay Area remains a prize for any league. With BYU already in the fold, Utah is less attractive to the Big XII. Colorado seems like a slam dunk for a return. In fact, they may be the first move if the B1G and SEC indicate they aren't interested. Keep in mind the Mountain Time Zone may be the smallest in total numbers but just two markets essentually sew it up: Denver & Phoenix. If the Big XII were to score CU, ASU & UA it would substantially increase its value. Not to Pre-Texas/Oklahoma exit levels. But not very far behind. This all assumes the guy who was just named yesterday as the next Big XII Commish coming from Jaz-Z's Roc Nation can pull all of this off. The Pac-12 Commish from Vegas is nearly as new and will be trying to poach Big XII schools to keep his league alive. It might be survival of the fittest between the two leagues. The MWC will gladly accept the scraps left behind.
Based on Budgets your scenario has Purdue getting the boot. But you said 2 schools from Indiana getting the boot from The B1G. You honestly believe they’d trade Purdue AND IU for Notre Dame? That seems a bridge too far IMO
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Is it a realistic possibility schools are booted from conferences they’ve been in for decades like Vandy, Purdue and a few others? Or is it just speculation and all talk? Is there any precedent to that?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Schools commit to conferences, not vice versa. We are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars annually for every school. Dead weight is dead weight. We have never had the unprecedented dollars at stake.

Could the B1G give both Purdue & Indiana the boot? Absolutely. Will they? Probably not. IU helps hold the Indianapolis market. Purdue brings little value. Ditto for Northwestern with the Illini being a better brand in Chicago.

As for the SEC, Vandy is not the only one not pulling its weight. Mizzou is somewhat out there on an island. It was supposed to deliver STL & KC but hasn't proven its value on the field or in the ratings. It might however be an enticement behind Texas & Oklahoma to help bring Colorado into the fold. Once again, I could see the SEC chasing Colorado & Arizona State to the west in addition to the obvious eastern targets if they choose to go to 20 or 24.

And let's not forget Stanford. Much like Notre Dame it is a national brand in the 6th largest TV market in the nation. Both the B1G & SEC covet this property. But like the Irish, they have many priorities to consider. If either league were able to land this pairing it would be a massive coup. For the B1G, it would sew up six of the top seven TV markets in the nation.

I hate the be the guy to bring this up, but if Superconference-geddon does occur, we could be talking a full scale realignment of everyone not in the two leagues. That could create significant opportunity for us. We may have been given the cold shoulder in the last go around, but anything could happen. I just wished we had real leadership on the board & president's office.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Purdue and Northwestern still give the B1G that Academic facade So that’s worth something. Vandy has always been an outlier.
I’ve never understood Mizzou to the SEC,they always seemed overhyped and punching above their weight. I could see them returning to the ‘new’ Big 12 and maybe even the B1G ‘encouraging’ Nebraska to return to the New Big 12 as well.
By cruzan_flame13
The BIG is that young man who is intellectual and successful (according to social practices). Nonethess, the normal personality that everyone thought he had was just an act and people are realizing that he has several personalities. I'm saying this because this conference is going to be strange. Not only the time zones differences, but now the west coast teams (play in warm weather during football season) will now be playing teams across the country in the snow. That's going to be hilarious! Money talks a lot! I'm wondering what the ACC commish is thinking at this moment. He might be seeing some writing on his office wall perhaps? :lol:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The ACC, SEC and Big 12 should ignore Big 10. Don't even acknowledged they exist.
The ACC should eliminate that ACC vs B10 challenge in basketball and softball.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The ACC, SEC and Big 12 should ignore Big 10. Don't even acknowledged they exist.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 6:15 pm The ACC, SEC and Big 12 should ignore Big 10. Don't even acknowledged they exist.
So passionate you typed it 3 times! It’s gonna be tough to ignore a Conference equal in size and larger in geographic scope than either of those other Conferences. And the ACC might all but cease to exist here pretty soon.
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 6:21 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 6:15 pm The ACC, SEC and Big 12 should ignore Big 10. Don't even acknowledged they exist.
So passionate you typed it 3 times! It’s gonna be tough to ignore a Conference equal in size and larger in geographic scope than either of those other Conferences. And the ACC might all but cease to exist here pretty soon.
That might make them very desperate. Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame and possibly two others (Tech, UNC maybe??) Might be gone within the coming months. Who knows if some deals were already done under the table. This isn't over yet 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 6:31 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 6:21 pm
That might make them very desperate. Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame and possibly two others (Tech, UNC maybe??) Might be gone within the coming months. Who knows if some deals were already done under the table. This isn't over yet 8)
Right now the way things are shaking out the ACC are a dying leaf on the Sport Lanscape vine But it will be interesting to see what their move is. ND has been using them for years. If they go for a Conference now, the B1G makes the most since with their historical rivalry with USC (and Stanford if they join). Not to mention reverting back to games with Michigan, Purdue and Michigan St. It also fits their Nationwide alumni base with schools from DC to LA. I’m just not sure what schools of consequence are willing to join the ACC let alone replace any members who leave. I’m just kinda stunned with all these moves and the potential demise of two iconic conferences
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
“For now, there is no interest from the Big 12 to take any Pac-12 schools. When a chance presented itself Thursday for the Big 12 board of directors to discuss these developments, one high-ranking Big 12 official said, ‘Why?'”

If you have to ask why, in my opinion, you don't get it. If that's the prevailing attitude in the Big 12 right now, they deserve whatever happens to them. Who's to say that Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, for example, won't get invited to join the Pac-12?

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/ ... 12-report/
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 7:29 pm “For now, there is no interest from the Big 12 to take any Pac-12 schools. When a chance presented itself Thursday for the Big 12 board of directors to discuss these developments, one high-ranking Big 12 official said, ‘Why?'”

If you have to ask why, in my opinion, you don't get it. If that's the prevailing attitude in the Big 12 right now, they deserve whatever happens to them. Who's to say that Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, for example, won't get invited to join the Pac-12?

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/ ... 12-report/
That’s was a quote from ONE Big 12 official. All report’s coming out have been to the contrary
“ one Big 12 official isn’t interested in such tomfoolery.”
By LUOrange
If the NCAA had real leadership from both it's administration and college presidents, they could've ended this madness merely by allowing for football-only FBS conferences and long ago, having a true CFB playoff just like every other sport has. But they're elitist hypocrites just like our politicians. Tradition, alumni, and fans be damned.

That said, I see the end-game being the creation of 2-3 new FBS/1A subdivisions:
1- 60-72 schools comprising of 2-3 super conferences, aka minor league football.
1A- All the P5 leftovers/rejects and the upper tier of the G5.
1AA- What's left of the G5.

Hopefully, we are positioned well and continuing to work diligently to make it in to my 1A scenario. Also, 1A and !AA could easily combine. Either way, and as I wrote before, I believe the P5 rejects and the G5 could make up some ground on the big boys merely by regrouping into regional conferences that reignite close rivalries and actually have amateurs.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 7:38 pm That’s was a quote from ONE Big 12 official. All report’s coming out have been to the contrary
“ one Big 12 official isn’t interested in such tomfoolery.”
The B1G isn't done and everyone seems to know that. The PAC-12 didn't waste any time; they came right out and said, "expansion is now on the table." One purportedly high-ranking Big 12 official is all it took to delay them making the same simple move to put themselves on offense. It protects their current assets and tells schools like Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, and Colorado, who know they're not B1G targets but suspect other PAC-12 schools are, that they have a safety valve.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I'm not a commissioner, AD, or school president; I'm a Texas Tech alumnus that wants to see my alma mater get a decent deal.
By tyndal23
ACC and more importantly TV contract has all members locked up through 2036 - ND included ( who can try and breach but will be a huge long term legal battle ). This all comes down to PAC 12 - and we can all agree WA and OR go to either BIG or SEC. The only question is who eats who. My $ is on the Big 12 getting AZ, AZ St, Utah. CO and maybe Stanford may be in play for Big 10. The tv money goes towards Big 12 winning and having way more Central time zone games vs going the other way with weak 6 or so remaining PAC teams with no negotiating power. Had LU stayed Independent - there may well have been 3 plus P5 teams opting for being Independent ( vs joining the WAC ) and a much higher quality of schedule.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 12:41 am ACC and more importantly TV contract has all members locked up through 2036 - ND included ( who can try and breach but will be a huge long term legal battle ). This all comes down to PAC 12 - and we can all agree WA and OR go to either BIG or SEC. The only question is who eats who. My $ is on the Big 12 getting AZ, AZ St, Utah. CO and maybe Stanford may be in play for Big 10. The tv money goes towards Big 12 winning and having way more Central time zone games vs going the other way with weak 6 or so remaining PAC teams with no negotiating power. Had LU stayed Independent - there may well have been 3 plus P5 teams opting for being Independent ( vs joining the WAC ) and a much higher quality of schedule.
The problem for the ACC is, as these other contracts get bigger and time passes, the less of an impact that 2036 date has.
By tyndal23
ATrain wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 9:06 am
tyndal23 wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 12:41 am ACC and more importantly TV contract has all members locked up through 2036 - ND included ( who can try and breach but will be a huge long term legal battle ). This all comes down to PAC 12 - and we can all agree WA and OR go to either BIG or SEC. The only question is who eats who. My $ is on the Big 12 getting AZ, AZ St, Utah. CO and maybe Stanford may be in play for Big 10. The tv money goes towards Big 12 winning and having way more Central time zone games vs going the other way with weak 6 or so remaining PAC teams with no negotiating power. Had LU stayed Independent - there may well have been 3 plus P5 teams opting for being Independent ( vs joining the WAC ) and a much higher quality of schedule.
The problem for the ACC is, as these other contracts get bigger and time passes, the less of an impact that 2036 date has.
Big 12 signed their new 10 year tv deal - so anyone saying PAC12 will gobble up existing Big12 teams is smoking crack. PAC is done. Nothing will trickle down to G5 with exception of maybe Big 12 opting for Memphis over Oregon St if CO and Stanford go elsewhere. That would free up one spot in AAC and then likely Sunbelt ( which again LU would have been in a better spot for Sunbelt as an Independent )
By LUOrange
tyndal23 wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 2:37 pm
ATrain wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 9:06 am
Big 12 signed their new 10 year tv deal - so anyone saying PAC12 will gobble up existing Big12 teams is smoking crack. PAC is done. Nothing will trickle down to G5 with exception of maybe Big 12 opting for Memphis over Oregon St if CO and Stanford go elsewhere. That would free up one spot in AAC and then likely Sunbelt ( which again LU would have been in a better spot for Sunbelt as an Independent )
Liberty should still still in good position for the Belt in your scenario. I wouldn't believe any contract we would've signed with CUSA would be insurmountable. Nor do I think we or any other CUSA 4.0 member would be foolish enough to sign any type of long term GOR in the current environment. Heck, I'd imagine any new GOR/media deal CUSA or any G5 signs will be short term with reasonable out-clauses.
Last edited by LUOrange on July 3rd, 2022, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]