If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: May 19th, 2022, 7:26 pm For the record, Twitter handle LibertyFlamesNation (LUFlamesNAtion) isn’t me...he is saying most of the stuff I have been harping about for 3 years, but I don’t whine on Twitter....badmouthing CUSA now doesn’t do us any good ( nor does arguing that it is even close to Sunbelt in football ).
The Boise State guy? Yeah, his act on twitter has grown sour.
flamehunter liked this
By Ill flame
Good for Charlotte. It was still a mistake for the AAC to add a bunch of big market schools with minimal history of success and expect a different result from when C-USA used the exact same strategy not long ago.

Also Charlotte couldn't sell out their 15,000 seat stadium on opening day against Duke. How do they think expanding to 30,000 is a good idea? I could see them adding the suites but I doubt they actually finish this project since it's in stages anyway
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 24th, 2022, 10:00 pm Good for Charlotte. It was still a mistake for the AAC to add a bunch of big market schools with minimal history of success and expect a different result from when C-USA used the exact same strategy not long ago.

Also Charlotte couldn't sell out their 15,000 seat stadium on opening day against Duke. How do they think expanding to 30,000 is a good idea? I could see them adding the suites but I doubt they actually finish this project since it's in stages anyway
Well, no one really gets excited about Duke football. If Charlotte can consistently start winning, they'll be filling their stadium. ECU and App State have full stadiums when their programs are winning, and so will Charlotte if they can figure out how to win football games.
By rtb72
App state and ECU have very different ' football fan cultures' when it comes to football...especially App. Both have a history that Charlotte doesn't have so I think that plays heavily into it.
JK37 liked this
By tyndal23
rtb72 wrote: June 14th, 2022, 11:36 am App state and ECU have very different ' football fan cultures' when it comes to football...especially App. Both have a history that Charlotte doesn't have so I think that plays heavily into it.
ECU has a large G5 fickle fan base.
App St has a passionate fan base with local support but geographically challenged to ever grow much more.
Charlotte has a great tv market and metro with a few rich alumni who will pour $ in, but a lot of local competition vying for the same eyeballs and butts in seats.
LU is none of the above and trying to emulate any of them is a mistake.
LUOrange liked this
By rtb72
tyndal23 wrote: June 14th, 2022, 3:22 pm
rtb72 wrote: June 14th, 2022, 11:36 am App state and ECU have very different ' football fan cultures' when it comes to football...especially App. Both have a history that Charlotte doesn't have so I think that plays heavily into it.
App St has a passionate fan base with local support but geographically challenged to ever grow much more.
Charlotte has a great tv market and metro with a few rich alumni who will pour $ in, but a lot of local competition vying for the same eyeballs and butts in seats.
ECU has a history and passionate (what you might call fickle) fan base. If you think App isn't becoming more expansive and is geographically challenged with respect to their fanbase...you might want to touch base with many of the fans at games who travel 3+ hours routinely on home games. Several live in my area. Their ceiling is far from being reached, and they are positioning themselves well in recruiting. Agreed on competition in Charlotte market...and the 49ers are far from the top in that arena. Not sure LU is trying emulate them...
By tyndal23
rtb72 wrote: June 14th, 2022, 3:35 pm
ECU has a history and passionate (what you might call fickle) fan base. If you think App isn't becoming more expansive and is geographically challenged with respect to their fanbase...you might want to touch base with many of the fans at games who travel 3+ hours routinely on home games. Several live in my area. Their ceiling is far from being reached, and they are positioning themselves well in recruiting. Agreed on competition in Charlotte market...and the 49ers are far from the top in that arena. Not sure LU is trying emulate them...
ECU - when they win stands are full. When is the last time you saw a sellout there? I don’t know, just last few years every game I saw was woefully unattended.

App St - is my point - they have a passionate fan base that travels an hour more than average team, ( LU does not - local support is not there and most alum are from out of state - more than 3 hours ). What makes you say App will get much bigger in population or tv market ? Population isn’t going to explode, they are successful every year so if anything, mediocre seasons will hurt them.
By rtb72
tyndal23 wrote: June 14th, 2022, 4:16 pm

ECU - when they win stands are full. When is the last time you saw a sellout there? I don’t know, just last few years every game I saw was woefully unattended.

App St - is my point - they have a passionate fan base that travels an hour more than average team, ( LU does not - local support is not there and most alum are from out of state - more than 3 hours ). What makes you say App will get much bigger in population or tv market ? Population isn’t going to explode, they are successful every year so if anything, mediocre seasons will hurt them.
Based on their trend, they are clearly continuing to grow. They have established themselves, and there is no indication they won't continue to establish themselves in this state and the surrounding states. Population has nothing to do with it if the product is worthwhile. They had home games at away venues this past year (UNC-Charlotte being one). They travel very well, especially in NC and surrounding. When it comes to their FB program...money is no issue. And with their conference, a mediocre year or trend would be short lived. As for ECU, they've had a few down years, but every year, their poor fanbase continue to have faith, whether it's with new coaches, recruits, or whatever. If anything, App has a brighter future IMHO. As for LU...winning, recruiting, and turning out products like MW will help. Additionally, I speculate the footprint for LU will grow exponentially over the next decade as more and more parents see what the general "higher education" systems are becoming. This is speculation and personal projection on my part of course, but in my area alone, grads heading to LU has increased significantly. I've taken numerous prospect students and their parents to games to show them around in the past five years, because the name "Liberty University" had become more and more common. Ten years ago, people would ask me where Liberty was, and it was only two hours from where I live. I now have random conversations with strangers in public about LU when I go out with gear on. For the first time I can ever remember, I see college recruiters at college/career fairs in the Piedmont Triad.

It's not going to happen overnight, but the potential is there. As far as size. I don't think Blacksburg and Charlottesville are exactly metropolises. Sure, they have identity....but when it comes to Lynchburg, from what I've seen Liberty is the first thing folks see and think of when they think of Lynchburg, Va. I'd say the same is true with Boone, Greenville, Blacksburg, and Charlottesville. I mean, we are still a very young university, and look how far we have come. The other institutions have had many more decades than we have, but I don't see us anywhere near our ceiling. So long as we pony up and "light'em up". Just my take...
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
rtb72 wrote: June 14th, 2022, 8:31 pm
tyndal23 wrote: June 14th, 2022, 4:16 pm

Based on their trend, they are clearly continuing to grow. They have established themselves, and there is no indication they won't continue to establish themselves in this state and the surrounding states. Population has nothing to do with it if the product is worthwhile. They had home games at away venues this past year (UNC-Charlotte being one). They travel very well, especially in NC and surrounding. When it comes to their FB program...money is no issue. And with their conference, a mediocre year or trend would be short lived. As for ECU, they've had a few down years, but every year, their poor fanbase continue to have faith, whether it's with new coaches, recruits, or whatever. If anything, App has a brighter future IMHO. As for LU...winning, recruiting, and turning out products like MW will help. Additionally, I speculate the footprint for LU will grow exponentially over the next decade as more and more parents see what the general "higher education" systems are becoming. This is speculation and personal projection on my part of course, but in my area alone, grads heading to LU has increased significantly. I've taken numerous prospect students and their parents to games to show them around in the past five years, because the name "Liberty University" had become more and more common. Ten years ago, people would ask me where Liberty was, and it was only two hours from where I live. I now have random conversations with strangers in public about LU when I go out with gear on. For the first time I can ever remember, I see college recruiters at college/career fairs in the Piedmont Triad.

It's not going to happen overnight, but the potential is there. As far as size. I don't think Blacksburg and Charlottesville are exactly metropolises. Sure, they have identity....but when it comes to Lynchburg, from what I've seen Liberty is the first thing folks see and think of when they think of Lynchburg, Va. I'd say the same is true with Boone, Greenville, Blacksburg, and Charlottesville. I mean, we are still a very young university, and look how far we have come. The other institutions have had many more decades than we have, but I don't see us anywhere near our ceiling. So long as we pony up and "light'em up". Just my take...
I agree with LU portion of recognition and being the “other” choice - but it is a National presence we should pursue, not local/regional. We are celebrating going in to the weakest conference in FBS thinking that will “ legitimize “ or finally gain recognition as a real program. My argument all along has been build from outside in due to our national student body, political/spiritual appeal in the 4 conservative recruiting hotbeds( CA,TX,FL ,GA ) - yes CA has a monster Christian School / Church/ Conservative school system even if outnumbered by loons. I won’t rehash my tyndal23 arguments - but mimicking any current G5 based on our geography, tv market, and local Lynchburg “ loathing” of all things LU limits us from ever being an ECU ( stadium capacity ) or Charlotte ( tv market ) or even App St ( rabid local/regional fan base ) If LU caps at 16k students, 25k sellouts will be peak, regardless of “ success in CUSA”.

App St - the numbers are hard to find but the average might even be slightly less than 2007 FCS attendance even with a 20% student body increase. They have topped 30k twice - admittedly they have had some bad weather night games that hindered attendance - but I think their “ceiling” is pretty tapped.

ECU - simply got passed over by UCF, Houston, and Cinci - 10 years ago, new Big 12 may have looked at them but I haven’t bothered to check their tv market - so maybe a moot point. Regardless, casual fans know ECU and when their stadium is packed - good rep for G5. But then again - G5 - not many care....

Regardless, with all the turmoil, maybe LU is in the Divine place we are supposed to be and CUSA elevates us in to the stratosphere. Hope so, just not flying in to watch it.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: June 14th, 2022, 11:01 pm
I agree with LU portion of recognition and being the “other” choice - but it is a National presence we should pursue, not local/regional. We are celebrating going in to the weakest conference in FBS thinking that will “ legitimize “ or finally gain recognition as a real program. My argument all along has been build from outside in due to our national student body, political/spiritual appeal in the 4 conservative recruiting hotbeds( CA,TX,FL ,GA ) - yes CA has a monster Christian School / Church/ Conservative school system even if outnumbered by loons. I won’t rehash my tyndal23 arguments - but mimicking any current G5 based on our geography, tv market, and local Lynchburg “ loathing” of all things LU limits us from ever being an ECU ( stadium capacity ) or Charlotte ( tv market ) or even App St ( rabid local/regional fan base ) If LU caps at 16k students, 25k sellouts will be peak, regardless of “ success in CUSA”.

App St - the numbers are hard to find but the average might even be slightly less than 2007 FCS attendance even with a 20% student body increase. They have topped 30k twice - admittedly they have had some bad weather night games that hindered attendance - but I think their “ceiling” is pretty tapped.

ECU - simply got passed over by UCF, Houston, and Cinci - 10 years ago, new Big 12 may have looked at them but I haven’t bothered to check their tv market - so maybe a moot point. Regardless, casual fans know ECU and when their stadium is packed - good rep for G5. But then again - G5 - not many care....

Regardless, with all the turmoil, maybe LU is in the Divine place we are supposed to be and CUSA elevates us in to the stratosphere. Hope so, just not flying in to watch it.
What's more of a "national" conference than Conference USA? It's even in the name. In all seriousness at least we will have a consistent presence in several so called conservative recruiting hotbeds. Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas and Louisiana. It would be nice to have more games in Georgia since we recruit there so much but Jacksonville isn't far. On the surface joining a conference looks like it has helped recruiting like HF implied it would. Idk how much of that is recruits viewing us as a legit program instead of another fcs callup though.
By LUOrange
ECU, I believe is in the RDU TV market but I could be wrong. But they have and are brand name. Winning consistently will cure their ills. I thought Houston would've turned that ship around, he was kind of my choice before we hired Freeze.

App State fans are rabid. I've run into a few here in the Burg, and their gear is readily available in the GSO and CLT which I frequent quite a bit. Strangely enough, it's easier to find Appy gear in the GSO than it is to find Wake gear. Their location probably only hurts when it comes to P5 consideration since they're not one of NC's flagships and they don't have much of an airport.

UNCC is young and growing, but it helps that they're the only real D1 in the CLT. If Healy can keep the momentum growing who knows what their ceiling is. They're problem is that they have the Panthers and aren't that far from the 4 NC ACC schools, Clemson, and USC. However, you can find UNCC gear in CLT much easier than Wake gear in the GSO. I'd say that UNC, Duke, and Clemson are the most readily available gear in CLT malls. My wife loves shopping down there, especially Concord Mills.

Liberty is clearly and obviously gowing and improving, and the Roanoke-Lynchburg-Danville TV market (which also includes Blacksburg) is rated like 63-64, so not too bad. While I want LU to remain a very Christian conservative university that remains engaged in national politics. We should remain home base for national Christian conservative politicians and activists. Like it or not, it's apart of our brand and appeal. However, I don't want our leadership saying obnoxious controversial things and/or essentially be on any political campaign staffs. They definitely need to come to terms with the fact that woke politicians and media will scrutinize and attack everything, so they need to try to be as above reproach as much as possible.

I say that because, I agree with Tyndal's national university branding and recruiting approach. If we can get better at the above while continuing to win with our AD and coaches like Freeze, McKay, Green, Jackson, Dot, parsley-Blocker. Our brand will sell itself and improve locally and regionally naturally. But I, also don't think that we abandon trying to improve our image locally and regionally to improve our fan base as well. I think all of the above applies in the Burg too, but with the added steps of local engagement, better VA recruitment, and family friendly game days. I think they're working on it, although I think they need to do more of what they were doing under Rocco and Gill for gamedays.

As far as CUSA goes, I do wonder if McCaw knew that CFP expansion would be put off like it has been again. Would we/he still have joined CUSA?
flameshaw liked this
By Ill flame
LUOrange wrote: June 15th, 2022, 10:45 am
As far as CUSA goes, I do wonder if McCaw knew that CFP expansion would be put off like it has been again. Would we/he still have joined CUSA?
I assume he knew considering how adamant the B1G is about letting the CFP tv contract go to open market. The CFP expansion is inevitable after the current contract ends and in the meantime we have a very clear path to a NY6 bowl which would be huge for the program. To answer your question, I'm 90% sure the answer is yes we still would've joined.
LUOrange liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
If this USC and UCLA to the B1G business is legit that could create an entire storm of chaos...and I'm here for it.

That could perhaps lead to the Big 12 completely dissolving is the Pac-12 raids the Big 12. Or maybe vice-versa the Pac-12 dissolves...
rmiller1959, Purple Haize, Baybird and 1 others liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 2:15 pm If this USC and UCLA to the B1G business is legit that could create an entire storm of chaos...and I'm here for it.

That could perhaps lead to the Big 12 completely dissolving is the Pac-12 raids the Big 12. Or maybe vice-versa the Pac-12 dissolves...
This. And multiple reports suggest this isn't a rumor and it's almost finalized. This is how it started with Texas and OU. I can't imagine how the dominoes are going to fall now.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/ucla-and- ... ent-twist/
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
It’s amazing this was kept under wraps so well for so long.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
'Eers should be in the Sun Belt so they can take an annual beating from Marshall. :fbplayer
Last edited by Cider Jim on June 30th, 2022, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LUOrange
But does the B10 stop with just those 2 schools in LA? Would they want to bridge that 1500 mile stretch in between Lincoln and LA some? Of course, that means going to 18 or 20 teams. The ramifications/musical chairs for the PAC12, B12, MWC, & AAC will be entertaining. But for us, does CUSA survive? Is that where we actually land? Fun stuff.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ACC, Big 12, and PAC-12 will be irrelevant sooner or later. There'll be two Super Conferences, the SEC and the Big 10, and then everyone else. Stanford, Cal Berkeley, Washington, Oregon, UNC, UVA, Duke, Utah, Boston College, Notre Dame, and UConn will all end up in the Big 10, and VA Tech, WVU, Pittsburgh, Clemson, Miami, Florida State, NC State, Oklahoma State, Houston, Boise State, and BYU will end up in the SEC.

The leftovers plus some of the strongest G5 schools try to make a third super conference, but it will fail to get many wins on the field and lag far behind the other two in TV contracts.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]