This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Yacht Rock wrote: May 15th, 2022, 12:35 pm Sounds fun! My wife and I are going to be at Paul McCartney next weekend in Winston-Salem. Looking forward to it very much, even though at nearly 80, his voice is going.
Is that next weekend? Is he playing the FB stadium? I think he would be really good in a small venue setting. But he probably making a pant load on this tour. Enjoy!
Yeah, it's at the Wake stadium on the 21st. Definitely smaller than some of the other venues he's been playing. We got good seats but it was a pretty penny. We've never been able to align our schedules with his tour before so this is a treat.
Yacht Rock wrote: May 15th, 2022, 10:06 pm Yeah, it's at the Wake stadium on the 21st. Definitely smaller than some of the other venues he's been playing. We got good seats but it was a pretty penny. We've never been able to align our schedules with his tour before so this is a treat.
I am just not a Stadium tour guy unless there gonna be a huge stage show. But I’d imagine they’ll have some good projection screens etc. and it will be cool
We had pre COVID tickets to the tour but dumped them. They were not cheap then so I can imagine now. I’m happy you got them that’s a real score! The closest we will get to sir Paul is getting our picture taken crossing Abbey Road in June!
McCartney was amazing and the show was worthy of making it one of my bucket list items. We were lucky enough to have parking right across the street from the stage side of the field and tailgated during the sound check that lasted over an hour. It rained before the concert but skies were great by the time the gates opened and the concert started.

Still riding the high from Saturday night!
Purple Haize liked this
Someone uploaded this cellphone video of the McCartney concert in W-S. Concert starts about 5 min in. I 've only watched about 15 min so far, but my first observation is that he has great energy and can still play a mean bass, but his age really shows in the vocals. Struggles with intonation.
Yacht Rock wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 4:03 pm McCartney was amazing and the show was worthy of making it one of my bucket list items. We were lucky enough :D to have parking right across the street from the stage side of the field and tailgated during the sound check that lasted over an hour. It rained before the concert but skies were great by the time the gates opened and the concert started.

Still riding the high from Saturday night!
Awesome! I worked an event in WS on Sunday and several seasoned citizens were talking about the concert. I’m glad I got some good info from the younger crowd
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Hard to believe I survived another Blue Ridge Rock Fest! Can’t even name all the bands I saw all or parts of their sets. Couple of stand outs

Lacy Sturm. New to me but not the crowd. Great draw for an early Sunday time slot. Gave a really good testimony
Skillet - The guitar plum wears me out watching her. Really like them in concert
Gojira- Set of the weekend. I’m generally not into that heavy of music but dang they are good. Outstanding live. Y music you can physically feel
Mudvayne - didn’t care for the music just stayed to see whether the lead singer was gonna have a heart attack
Sevendust- really good. Great crowd interaction
Otherwise - long time favorite smaller band of mine. Glad they got to play and generate some buzz
Stone Temple Pilots - new guy sounds like the dead guy. Second favorite set of the weekend
Ice Cube - No one was more surprised by how big and friendly the crowd was than Cube!
Ghost - good stage show. Entertaining and funny lead singer. Music was different. Probably Satanist’s :D

Three shows I missed that I would have liked to see

Tenacious D - they rarely tour but it was gonna be tough to go from one end to the other and back to see 3 consecutive acts. So I went with I Prevail which was good. And I had premium viewing for
Alice Cooper - love his shows. But again logistics weren’t in my favor. No way I could have traversed the grounds and through 20k to get to the show before it was over
Queensryche - it was either them or Ice Nine Kills. And I’ve seen them a few times and got to meet them earlier in the day.

I’ll be back in 2023. Great festival!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 16th, 2022, 9:05 am
Alice Cooper - love his shows. But again logistics weren’t in my favor. No way I could have traversed the grounds and through 20k to get to the show before it was over
In your mind, what band trumped Alice Cooper and kept you from hearing his band? :dontgetit
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: September 16th, 2022, 12:41 pm
In your mind, what band trumped Alice Cooper and kept you from hearing his band? :dontgetit
Gojira was right before him. I would have had to go from right up front of the stage there. Through / with 20 k people up the slope then down the hill to the next stage. It would have taken 15-20 minutes if not more. Then had horrible spots to watch the last 20 minutes or so then walk back up Hay Maker Hill down the slope in time to see Mudvayne who closed the night. Instead I watched A Day To Remember and they weren’t too bad.
Cider Jim liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I try to see zombie every time he comes into town. Freaks on Parade tour was great although his set was a little short so I was kinda bummed. Power man 5000 and static x opened, then Mudvayne just before RZ. They crushed it- my first time seeing them and apparently their first tour in over a decade so that was cool. Definitely a rock and roll show 👍🏼
JK37 next time I’ll take u since it was down at the waterfront and we coulda pregamed at your place
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: September 16th, 2022, 12:41 pm
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 17th, 2022, 8:20 am I listen to KLOVE, and I’m not old. So I get very few of these references. But I read every word of this thread and keep coming back.

What a LOSER I am!
You should know Skillet and Lacy Sturm (FlyLeaf)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote: September 17th, 2022, 9:03 am I try to see zombie every time he comes into town. Freaks on Parade tour was great although his set was a little short so I was kinda bummed. Power man 5000 and static x opened, then Mudvayne just before RZ. They crushed it- my first time seeing them and apparently their first tour in over a decade so that was cool. Definitely a rock and roll show 👍🏼
JK37 next time I’ll take u since it was down at the waterfront and we coulda pregamed at your place
I’m down
PAmedic liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 17th, 2022, 10:29 am
JK37 wrote: September 17th, 2022, 8:20 am I listen to KLOVE, and I’m not old. So I get very few of these references. But I read every word of this thread and keep coming back.

What a LOSER I am!
You should know Skillet and Lacy Sturm (FlyLeaf)
Yeah, give you that. Couldn’t name a song for either off the top of my head.
Time to play catch up!

Doobie Brothers-Nashville
A lot of deep cuts. But it was their 50th Anniversary tour and they did have Michael M with them. Everything was super tight and the harmonies were spectacular. It was obviously an extra treat the MM was there. He still has the pipes.
- Pretty sure I was one of the youngest people there. I went with 5 managers from my company
- the arena was about 3/4 full which I found surprising. Tickets were ~$100 for lower bowl. But it was in Nashville. So a band like the DB’s wouldn’t move the needle there like it would in say Roanoke
- for a group called The Doobie Brothers there was a surprising LACK of Doobie at the show. It was later pointed out to me that it was still there, but in the form of CBD oil and gummies :D

Grand Ole Opry
This hurt. My highlight was the guy who reads the announcements and ads. His voice was smooth. I wanna buy Humana Medicare D coverage and I’m not even eligible for it! One group did bust out Country Roads, which was appropriate since the Mountaineers were playing. I belted that ad boy out at the top of my lungs!
- apparently mosh pits and crowd surfing are frowned on at the Opry. So “Know Before You Go”

Iron Maiden
This is now officially the loudest concert I’ve been too. And no it’s not cause I’m old! They are the rare band whose stage show AND music are equally awesome. You usually get one or the other. For instance, no pyro oversized mascot or Spitfires at the Doobies, but their vocals were on point. Bruce still has the pipes but something happened near the end and he had to go off stage and was covered by an extended guitar solo. Afterwards he was good but something was off. As is their want they played their new stuff (Writing on the Wall is a great cut….and a retelling of the story of Nebuchadnezzar ) and deep cuts. Surprisingly, for them, they did finish with their Greatest Hits. Which upon reflection shouldn’t have surprised me since the tour is called Legacy of the Beast. The place was full of incredible energy and people belted out song at the top of our lungs. All 24,000 of us. Place was packed

Can’t remember what’s up next. Probably sor Christmas stuff. I already have my Blue Ridge Rock Festival ticket and RV spot reserved for next year so that’s always good!
Cider Jim liked this
2023 is kicking in to high gear already. This whole Payment Plan stuff from Klarna PayPay etc makes it easy to spend more money on tickets. So here is what I have on tap so far in no particular order

Night Ranger in Roanoke
Toto/Journey in Greensboro
Foreigner in Salem
Kansas in Raleigh
Gojira in Richmond
And of course Blue Ridge Rock Festival

Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper are going out on tour together so I’ll se where they are going.
Stryper is going out on the road again but not sure if they will be close.
Lots of bands going out this year
Was fortunate to secure tickets to U2 at The Sphere in Vegas! With a connection we will be getting a flat out steal on a room. Sure it’s off the Strip but Vegas has gotten expensive over the last few years.
This will be a huge event. It seems like this is the perfect place for a U2 extravaganza. This place is built for concerts and U2 will test its boundaries. As Borat says ‘Very Excite’
It also looks like Kenny Loggins will be at The Pearl the next night! It’s all about the 80’s! Even if Achtung Baby is really in the 90’s
Went to the Mega Monsters Tour last night in Richmond
Not really a Lorna Shore fan but they are a hot band in the Death Metal genre as I’m sure @Cider Jim is aware. The lead singer is a really nice guy and I hope they continue their success
I was there for Gojira. Even did the Meet N Greet with photo and fist bumps. They are my favorite heavy band at the moment and over the last couple of years. They flat out bring in. One of the highlights of the night was Randy Blythe from Lamb of God coming out during Backbone. I know @thepostman was sorry he missed that
I did not stay for Mastadon because I’m old and not that familiar with their music

Next up…Foreigner
Purple Haize wrote: May 10th, 2023, 10:22 pm Went to the Mega Monsters Tour last night in Richmond

Next up…Foreigner
I'm guessing Mega Monsters Tour has nothing to do with huge trucks with lift kits and massive mud tires?

Foreigner, at least, I know.
flamehunter liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Just did my 3rd U2 at The Sphere show. Absolutely amazing. Each show had 90% the same music but felt like a completely different show. I did reach a conclusion that GA is no longer for me at this age! But it was great to be that close and I had a great time. Im sure Phish and The Dead and Company will do fine but it’s gonna be tough to beat U2.
Side Note - Obama was also at the concert. However he did not get my autograph
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]