If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
Maybe its time Darius got his own thread considering how dominant he's been. Through 18 games played Darius is the top scorer in the country with 410 total points. That's 17 points more than 2nd place and 23 more than 3rd place. He's also leading the nation with 3 pointers made with 73 (one ahead of 2nd place). I knew he was good but the numbers he is putting up is insane.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
This might be the most “magical” season an LU player has ever had. I mean guys have had great games or even Tournaments. But his season in totality at the moment is special
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I’ll bring the NBA discussion over here. All you old heads keep talking about Muggsy, but the most recent comp in the league is Isaiah Thomas, and he’s a better comp anyway. He flamed out really quick, and I think part of that is there’s no room for a reserved role for a guy like Thomas or Darius.

Either his offense is good enough to build around him and account for the defensive liability schematically or he doesn’t get a roster spot. I don’t think teams are willing to scheme around a defensive liability for 10 minutes a night. Either you’re a starter/centerpiece or you’re out of the league.
Purple Haize liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
I have to respectfully disagree. The half court "scheme" of most NBA teams is an isolation game where everyone stands around outside the three point area except one player who tries to create a one on one Sportcenter moment. Darius has proven he can get his shot off no matter the size disparity and has also proven NBA range and quick release if given the chance from the outside.
He is not going to go in the first round, but rosters are full of role players who can come off the bench and fill it up during the long NBA season where fatigue and attrition regularly take a toll.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I mean they’d have to scheme defensively to “hide” Darius. I don’t see teams wanting to do so for 10 minutes of production, only if they think he’s good enough to build their team around. Thomas is the most recent to successfully have this role, but for every Isaiah Thomas, there’s at least a dozen Chris Clemonses and Saah Nimleys.

No disrespect to Darius, but it’s been over a decade since someone his size has caught on in the league. It’s a super long shot.
Purple Haize liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Among the most common misconceptions about BB potential relates to size. It's a double edged sword for a guard. It really comes down to how you are able to use your size to your advantage. Without getting too technical, Darius is not the stereotypical smaller crazy-quick guy. He will be a challenge to guard at the next level, due to his superior skills, and overall ability to utilize his body and stature advantageously.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 18th, 2022, 11:55 am Among the most common misconceptions about BB potential relates to size. It's a double edged sword for a guard. It really comes down to how you are able to use your size to your advantage. Without getting too technical, Darius is not the stereotypical smaller crazy-quick guy. He will be a challenge to guard at the next level, due to his superior skills, and overall ability to utilize his body and stature advantageously.
Legit question. Have you ever stood next to Darius? Because I would be agreeing with a lot of what you say if I had not seen him in person.
The dude is electric. He has the potential to make a lot of money for a long time playing basketball somewhere. Outside of maybe a cup of coffee and a short G League run that’s not going to be here in the States. Why is that a bad thing? Making $500/k or so a year for a decade in Europe ain’t a bad gig
JK37 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 18th, 2022, 1:07 pm
paradox wrote: January 18th, 2022, 11:55 am Among the most common misconceptions about BB potential relates to size. It's a double edged sword for a guard. It really comes down to how you are able to use your size to your advantage. Without getting too technical, Darius is not the stereotypical smaller crazy-quick guy. He will be a challenge to guard at the next level, due to his superior skills, and overall ability to utilize his body and stature advantageously.
Legit question. Have you ever stood next to Darius? Because I would be agreeing with a lot of what you say if I had not seen him in person.
The dude is electric. He has the potential to make a lot of money for a long time playing basketball somewhere. Outside of maybe a cup of coffee and a short G League run that’s not going to be here in the States. Why is that a bad thing? Making $500/k or so a year for a decade in Europe ain’t a bad gig
We'll see how it all plays out. Gotta see what things look like in the longview. We're not there yet.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Had to look up most recent impact player in league which was Nate Robinson at 5'9 and 3 dunk titles to resume. However, he did finish the last few years of his career overseas. Who knows, we'll see
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
One of the things overlooked when focusing exclusively on stature is the overall disposition of Darius McGhee. This guy totally beats to his own drum. In addition, there is a solid cerebral dimension to DM's game. In its purest form, this is a thinking man's game. Just one of several beneficial intangibles that he has in his favor.
Geraldos Mustache liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:37 pm One of the things overlooked when focusing exclusively on stature is the overall disposition of Darius McGhee. This guy totally beats to his own drum. In addition, there is a solid cerebral dimension to DM's game. In its purest form, this is a thinking man's game. Just one of several beneficial intangibles that he has in his favor.
I don’t think anyone disputes that. I’ve repeatedly said he’s a special player and he deserves all the laudates.
By jmclaughlin
Betting odds...
What are the chance DM returns next year?
I say 5/1 that he leaves but think it could benefit him to stay one additional year in the long run.
By Ill flame
I don't know if he'll raise his chances at the league playing another year in the asun. If anything he should transfer to the big ten or acc and dominate there to prove himself against better competition.
jmclaughlin liked this
By jmclaughlin
Ill flame wrote: February 8th, 2022, 4:18 pm I don't know if he'll raise his chances at the league playing another year in the asun. If anything he should transfer to the big ten or acc and dominate there to prove himself against better competition.
I hate that you are 100% on this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think transferring would be a huge risk. There’s a non-zero chance that it goes poorly, you never know with a new situation. It could tank for reasons entirely out of his control.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
He won’t do himself any favors if he stays OR transfers
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: February 9th, 2022, 10:58 am This is actually one of those rare situations where I actually agree with Haize.
I can’t help it you wanna be wrong so much :D :D
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
McGhee has options. We'll see how it plays out. There is a real possibility that he gets an NBA Draft Combine invite. That's in May. Seth is the only LU player to ever get the invite.

Also, he'll have the option to return to the college ranks, if he feels he can improve his status in doing so. So that could be in play as well. Time will tell.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 25th, 2022, 5:10 pm McGhee has options. We'll see how it plays out. There is a real possibility that he gets an NBA Draft Combine invite. That's in May. Seth is the only LU player to ever get the invite.

He'll have the option to return to the college ranks, if he feels he can improve his status in doing so. So that could be in play as well. Time will tell.
IF he comes back to college he’d need to think about taking his extra year at a higher profile program. But I also think that would do more harm than good. Go make your money young man. I hope he gets an NBA Draft Combine invite. That can only help his value.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]