This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I wonder how many supporters he will still have in the LU/TRBC family. Seems that he's burned a lot of those bridges with this article by throwing his folks and brother under the bus like that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: January 25th, 2022, 4:14 pm I wonder how many supporters he will still have in the LU/TRBC family. Seems that he's burned a lot of those bridges with this article by throwing his folks and brother under the bus like that.
I don’t think he cares. He sees the writing on the walls. He has 0 interest in returning and running LU again. He just wants to watch it all burn
Just John, flamehunter liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 25th, 2022, 2:22 am I try to stay on the subject of sports and don't pay much attention to the academic side but I stumbled across this old article about an investigation into Jr's tenure being initiated from August 2020. Now that it's 2022 has anything come of that investigation? Is it ongoing or was everything swept under the rug?

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2020/08/31 ... stigation/
There is supposed to be an investigation going on. No public updates that I am aware of. It is the same :BS with finding a new president. I believe the Bored and Prevo are intentionally dragging out the search, they are addicted to the power and the private jet. It shouldn't have taken more than 90 days.
ATrain, Sly Fox liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 25th, 2022, 4:57 pm
flamehunter wrote: January 25th, 2022, 4:14 pm I wonder how many supporters he will still have in the LU/TRBC family. Seems that he's burned a lot of those bridges with this article by throwing his folks and brother under the bus like that.
I don’t think he cares. He sees the writing on the walls. He has 0 interest in returning and running LU again. He just wants to watch it all burn
Falwell Sr did say to strike a match to it if the school ever lost its way. While I don't believe everything Junior told VF about Senior, or Macel, Falwell Senior was human
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Anyone who knew Becki back when she was working at Emil's knew what she was like.
Maybe Mr Hudson will finally realize the extent of his butt kissing and will encourage some change because Prevo never will.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: January 25th, 2022, 6:36 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 25th, 2022, 4:57 pm
Falwell Sr did say to strike a match to it if the school ever lost its way. While I don't believe everything Junior told VF about Senior, or Macel, Falwell Senior was human
Sr. was indeed human. One of the best, as well. Members of my family have known him intimately since childhood. One used to work with Macel at the bank, before she married Sr. You can't get one of them to say a bad word about either of them. My FIL, went to school with Sr. in high school and college. He did say that they re-wrote the rule book for Jerry at BBC. But the most he would ever say is that Jerry was very mischievous and loved to play jokes, but we all know that.
He wasn't perfect, but he was no self-absorbed Jr. by a long shot.
By k9saber
Flameshaw on JFS: "He wasn't perfect, but he was no self-absorbed Jr. by a long shot."

No axe to grind on your statement sir, but I would offer this to "offset" it. We use the phrase "he/she wasn't perfect" or "I'm not perfect" in our Christianese language to make ample room for our sins...while simultaneously comparing ourselves to someone we see as much more sinful, i.e., JFS sins were somehow less than JFJ's sins. Not once have we ever been directed to be "perfect" by Christ, it's an impossibility; thankfully He was, and we can find our rest and salvation in Him, not our (good) dirty religious works.

A relative of mine worked at LU for many years, to include the years that the school was teetering on the edge of financial ruin...he shared with me that JFS would regularly "encourage" the employees to "skip" their mortgage payments or not pay the "light bill" that month, instead giving the $ to the school...because it was the Lord's will. I share that because it's true, and I've been told by others who experienced the same "Lord's will" spiritual coercion firsthand from him...sadly, the culture of "righteous shadiness" has always been present behind the curtain during JFS leadership (think Sun Myung Moon) and JFJ; JFJ's was just more pronounced, that's all.

And, in the middle of the long running corruption...there has always been nameless followers of Christ working at LU bringing glory to Him...they weren't perfect either, but they wanted to be obedient and humble. #truth
JK37, aredd33 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
k9saber wrote: January 27th, 2022, 9:58 am ...JFS sins were somehow less than JFJ's sins.....
Dude, you practically sound like an enabler with this one. This is pretty much what Junior has been saying over the last couple of years....all sins are equal.....and he's just like everybody else.....and of course, his critics think that their sins are somehow less? Problem Solved. Hire him back. After all, he built the place. It started in his sandbox.
Last edited by paradox on January 27th, 2022, 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
My takeaway was that Sr. wasn't all roses when it came to running the show either and took advantage of people to advance the organization he was running.

I didn't know Sr, but that's what my takeaway was.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: January 27th, 2022, 1:13 pm My takeaway was that Sr. wasn't all roses when it came to running the show either and took advantage of people to advance the organization he was running.

I didn't know Sr, but that's what my takeaway was.
Jr. is just trying to somehow make himself look better in all of this. "Well Johnny did this and Billy did that, see I am not so bad. That is what people with narcissistic personality problems do. To me, it is just another failure of personal integrity and trying to deflect his wrong-doings to others.
I pray that Jr. and his family come to a place of true repentance and will be able to move on to a somewhat normal life, behind the scenes. Not looking promising though.
stokesjokes, LUOrange liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: January 27th, 2022, 1:51 pm That is what people with narcissistic personality problems do.
This is true, and anyone with a psych background can see this from a mile away. The other side of this is that personality disorders do not arise in a vacuum. They usually develop in response to an unhealthy childhood environment and family system. Obviously JR’s choices as an adult are his own responsibility, but I don’t think his recollections of his childhood are made up from whole cloth. Probably some of it is true, albeit distorted by his narcissistic lens.

It reminds me of learning about AW Tozer’s neglect of his family. We can recognize the gifts these men have given while acknowledging they may have serious areas where their flaws were harmful to those around them. Of course, the same can and will be said about us some day, but we can try to learn from the mistakes our forebears made.
k9saber liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jr seems fo suffer from some of same issues a lot of Pastor's kids struggle with. He is is just struggling with those issues in a very public way. It is sad go see unfold but unfortunately isn't rare with his kind of upbringing.

I do sincerely pray he and his family find some sort of healing. That doesn't mean I want him running the school but I've seen this kind of thing play out and it isn't fun for anybody involved.
ATrain, rtb72, Purple Haize and 2 others liked this
By k9saber
Paradox: "Dude, you practically sound like an enabler with this one."

If you step back from the "knothole in the fence" view to my previous statement, and see the big wide lens camera view of JFS, JFJ, and the culture that has been in place for decades...how did we really expect this to "end?" The mechanisms and compass direction for this have been dialed into place long before any of us arrived here at SOR discussing it. It is very sad as some has correctly pointed out; and even worse for the myriad of people who exalted JFS into a type of figure to be "exalted" over the years. The seeds that were sown for decades in the darkness finally produced their harvest in the full sunlight.

And...one more time, the Lord was using those people within the school who were humble, obedient, and more focused on His will than the political will of Ronald Reagan or Donald Trump.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The clergy & religious institutions are certainly not in short supply of buffoonery. Not sayin' it's all bad. But most of the time, you just try to make the best of it....because it's the lone option.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
k9saber wrote: January 27th, 2022, 4:52 pm Paradox: "Dude, you practically sound like an enabler with this one."

If you step back from the "knothole in the fence" view to my previous statement, and see the big wide lens camera view of JFS, JFJ, and the culture that has been in place for decades...how did we really expect this to "end?" The mechanisms and compass direction for this have been dialed into place long before any of us arrived here at SOR discussing it. It is very sad as some has correctly pointed out; and even worse for the myriad of people who exalted JFS into a type of figure to be "exalted" over the years. The seeds that were sown for decades in the darkness finally produced their harvest in the full sunlight.

And...one more time, the Lord was using those people within the school who were humble, obedient, and more focused on His will than the political will of Ronald Reagan or Donald Trump.
Way off base here. There is/was a world of difference between Jr. and Sr. From a psychological, moral and almost every other perspective. Based on the story that is trying to be spun here, I have to wonder if you are speaking about the same Jerry's that I know. Maybe there is an ulterior motive here? Too much fertilizer for sure.
LUOrange liked this
By k9saber
Maybe so Flameshaw...I suppose all the pragmatism, emotion driven opinions, cherry-picking, and lack of any response to anything dealing with what Christ has set before us as believers to model through the Spirit, just creates a big old smokescreen of ambiguity 360°. I will share my "ulterior motive" with you though...my "fertilizer" is produced from a love for Christ and His Word, specifically the grace that enables us to habitually live a legitimate life indicative of the fruits of the Spirit; living a life as a man professionally and personally that brings honor to Christ, having a heart of thanksgiving that he saved me from a sinful life, along with a distaste toward those who use the Name of Christ for material gain, political leverage, and prestige. If I've missed the "mark" here with too much "fertilizer"...please know this - I'm okay with it.

One question for you: when you say "the same Jerry's that I know," what biblical foundation do you speak from when looking at the evidence of their actions and what has been revealed?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
k9saber wrote: January 27th, 2022, 11:43 pm Maybe so Flameshaw...I suppose all the pragmatism, emotion driven opinions, cherry-picking, and lack of any response to anything dealing with what Christ has set before us as believers to model through the Spirit, just creates a big old smokescreen of ambiguity 360°. I will share my "ulterior motive" with you though...my "fertilizer" is produced from a love for Christ and His Word, specifically the grace that enables us to habitually live a legitimate life indicative of the fruits of the Spirit; living a life as a man professionally and personally that brings honor to Christ, having a heart of thanksgiving that he saved me from a sinful life, along with a distaste toward those who use the Name of Christ for material gain, political leverage, and prestige. If I've missed the "mark" here with too much "fertilizer"...please know this - I'm okay with it.

One question for you: when you say "the same Jerry's that I know," what biblical foundation do you speak from when looking at the evidence of their actions and what has been revealed?
The heart. The fruits of the Spirit. Senior had a heart for God and vision. He was a kind man at heart which got him in trouble from time to time. He wasn’t perfect but he was on the right path.
But we are making a comparison between a Lawyer and an Evangelist. So there will be built in differences. .
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]