Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

ballcoach15 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 8:00 pm All conferences should be placed on a level playing field, and eliminate the term Power 5 and Group of 5, and any other lumping of schools. All are NCAA schools, treat them as such.

(and why is the Notre Dame Athletic Director on equal footing with conference commissioners)
Sankey had same idea, top 6 conferences make playoff. Eliminating the Autonomous or P5 / G5 distinction clears the legal barrier to entrance issues. All FBS teams have same number of scholarships. Unfortunately, the other conference commissioners want to haggle over “language” and secondary issues while ignoring the fact SEC and Sankey are the only ones who don’t need an expanded playoff. I for one agree that by far the more pressing issues are NIL, Calendar and Transfer Portal, far outweighing Playoff Expansion.
tyndal23 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 7:16 pm Let’s not waste a decade complaining and rip the bandaid now. NCAA with a cap on NIL and no transfer rule except when a coach leaves ( rest have to sit a year ). and a 24 team playoff just like FCS. Too 32 or whoever wants go play Semi Pro Ball - move along. Semi Pro can’t recruit NCAA players unless Grad Transfers. Otherwise, we wake up and wonder why no one watches CFB anymore and why dozens shut down their Program. Not trying to be melodramatic, but it will be a mess and fans will walk.
NIL Cap: I’m with you, just don’t know how. NCAA has passed regulation of NIL onto the states, and rightfully so, because of the courts.

Transfer: What if a position coach leaves? What if a you g man or young lady gets recruited over or loses PT some other way? Coach doesn’t want him/her to stay anyway. Toothpaste is already out of the tube on this one.

Your doomdsday scenario has some validity.
JK37 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 11:00 pm
tyndal23 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 7:16 pm Let’s not waste a decade complaining and rip the bandaid now. NCAA with a cap on NIL and no transfer rule except when a coach leaves ( rest have to sit a year ). and a 24 team playoff just like FCS. Too 32 or whoever wants go play Semi Pro Ball - move along. Semi Pro can’t recruit NCAA players unless Grad Transfers. Otherwise, we wake up and wonder why no one watches CFB anymore and why dozens shut down their Program. Not trying to be melodramatic, but it will be a mess and fans will walk.
NIL Cap: I’m with you, just don’t know how. NCAA has passed regulation of NIL onto the states, and rightfully so, because of the courts.

Transfer: What if a position coach leaves? What if a you g man or young lady gets recruited over or loses PT some other way? Coach doesn’t want him/her to stay anyway. Toothpaste is already out of the tube on this one.

Your doomdsday scenario has some validity.
The 1 year sit out rule worked just fine until NCAA started rubber stamping every request the last year or two before they waived 1 year rule. Again - NCAA teams much more regulated ( like before ) than the Semi Pro. With all the big money teams playing Semi Pro - NCAA / Czar can enforce much more diligently. As for States - they can decide if they want to defer to be a part of NCAA with a Congressional Appointed Czar or not. Since vast majority of schools are public state schools, I imagine if a student athlete can get compensated on NIL but have boundaries ,it benefits the state school not to have to be in a bidding war. Same state can also have Semi Pro team with a complete different set of parameters. i.e. Michigan vs Eastern Michigan. I expect Semi Pro would have “contracts” which include NIL that any $ would have to be “bought out” similar to a “coaching contract” if they transferred laterally or down to NCAA ( Josh Pate did a great segment on this ).
I know just having an opinion on the matter means little, regardless of status. So staring in to the future and knowing the likely outcome means little if one is not in a position to change things. What would it take for 99 schools ( based on my bad math of 130 current and 133 future FBS teams ) to stay within a currently defunct but hopefully renewed NCAA that adjudicates and enforces a National NIL while the 32 or so go to Semi Pro ?

TV Network agreements to reshuffle provided they had equal bidding / opportunity for Semi Pro and NCAA ( without this all else fails ).

Willingness to concede short term Conference guaranty $ from P5 Schools in exchange from having to be in an Arms Race to be bottom tier ( this is where I see an issue) - Vanderbilt / Kansas / Rutgers/ Oregon St/ Duke can just cash checks to be a part of current system and not invest a dime back in to Football.

Had the SEC not extended TV rights out so long, I could see the split happening soon.

It will take a group of AD/Presidents who want off of the suicide train to lead the charge, ESPN to see an out and profit for Semi Pro, and some unwanted Congressional oversight. Since Conference Commissioner’s can’t even align for common best interest in Expanded Playoff and the NCAA has already thrown in the towel, - I don’t see much hope for short term remedies.
tyndal23 wrote: January 16th, 2022, 11:27 pm I know just having an opinion on the matter means little, regardless of status. So staring in to the future and knowing the likely outcome means little if one is not in a position to change things. What would it take for 99 schools ( based on my bad math of 130 current and 133 future FBS teams ) to stay within a currently defunct but hopefully renewed NCAA that adjudicates and enforces a National NIL while the 32 or so go to Semi Pro ?

TV Network agreements to reshuffle provided they had equal bidding / opportunity for Semi Pro and NCAA ( without this all else fails ).

Willingness to concede short term Conference guaranty $ from P5 Schools in exchange from having to be in an Arms Race to be bottom tier ( this is where I see an issue) - Vanderbilt / Kansas / Rutgers/ Oregon St/ Duke can just cash checks to be a part of current system and not invest a dime back in to Football.

Had the SEC not extended TV rights out so long, I could see the split happening soon.

It will take a group of AD/Presidents who want off of the suicide train to lead the charge, ESPN to see an out and profit for Semi Pro, and some unwanted Congressional oversight. Since Conference Commissioner’s can’t even align for common best interest in Expanded Playoff and the NCAA has already thrown in the towel, - I don’t see much hope for short term remedies.
I will expand. Does it take a group of G5 Presidents to lead the charge for a Subset Tier of NCAA ( for now ) and list the NIL and Transfer parameters, thus giving anyone who wants to be above or outside those parameters to leave NCAA. In other words, rather than waiting on the “ break away” from big schools to semi pro, why don’t the little fish band together and push and give cover to the sharks who want to be outside the little pond anyway. That way we don’t get eaten and still have a pond left to swim in...just fish food for thought.
jmclaughlin liked this
Transfer portal should be eliminated. NIL should be eliminated. Go back to playing college football. If things continue the path they're headed, all this crap will filter down to the high school and rec league level. (granted some of it is down there now)
What ever happened to just playing football, basketball, softball and baseball, getting an education, and then starting a career ?
ballcoach15 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:03 am Transfer portal should be eliminated. NIL should be eliminated. Go back to playing college football. If things continue the path they're headed, all this crap will filter down to the high school and rec league level. (granted some of it is down there now)
What ever happened to just playing football, basketball, softball and baseball, getting an education, and then starting a career ?
Softball has tons and tons of transfers.
Purple Haize wrote: January 17th, 2022, 12:22 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:03 am Transfer portal should be eliminated. NIL should be eliminated. Go back to playing college football. If things continue the path they're headed, all this crap will filter down to the high school and rec league level. (granted some of it is down there now)
Softball has tons and tons of transfers.
...not to mention a bunch of rule changes for the purists like BC...whatever happen to these rules?

The first batter to get on in an inning could run to either first or third base. All following batters in that inning had to run in the same direction.
-A legal game consisted of five, seven or nine innings–at the option of the contesting teams.
-The game could be played by points instead of runs if desired. A point was scored by each and every base reached by a runner.
-The bases were thirty-five feet apart, and the pitcher’s box was thirty feet from the home plate. The ball could be anywhere from twelve to fourteen inches in circumference. The bat was restricted to a two-inch diameter.
-Only three unfairly delivered balls were required for a base on balls. A base runner could not leave his base until the ball crossed the home plate.
ballcoach15 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 8:00 pm All conferences should be placed on a level playing field, and eliminate the term Power 5 and Group of 5
Love you coach, but this is completely inconsistent, even from you. You say ALL THE TIME "Who did that team even play???" If all conferences are placed "on a level playing field," that also means that all teams are placed "on a level playing field."

There are some who (wrongfully) believe that record alone should be the judge. If there is one thing we know, Ballcoach does not believe that.
Purple Haize liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:03 am What ever happened to just playing football, basketball, softball and baseball, getting an education, and then starting a career ?
Thanks to the new rule changes, college athletes can start their careers while they are still in college! Fans of Willis or McGee, for example, can buy a jersey or T-shirt with the players' names on it, and the players earn money for that. Isn't capitalism wonderful??? (Only an old commie like Ballcoach would disagree).
Cider Jim wrote: January 21st, 2022, 4:46 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:03 am What ever happened to just playing football, basketball, softball and baseball, getting an education, and then starting a career ?
Thanks to the new rule changes, college athletes can start their careers while they are still in college! Fans of Willis or McGee, for example, can buy a jersey or T-shirt with the players' names on it, and the players earn money for that. Isn't capitalism wonderful??? (Only an old commie like Ballcoach would disagree).
It would be even more wonderful if Liberty would sell said jerseys.
LUOrange wrote: January 21st, 2022, 7:58 pm
Cider Jim wrote: January 21st, 2022, 4:46 pm
It would be even more wonderful if Liberty would sell said jerseys.
Friend told me a University can’t pay player % on their own apparel, but the apparel co. can pay them for NIL. Which leads to my question - how many Universities actually own their own apparel ( university owned bookstore etc. ). I thought they just licensed out and approved “resale” products. If Liberty for example gave ASOR license to have University name on a jersey and LU took a %, and ASOR put player number and name and paid player %, that is legit and how it would work correct?
Yes.

Apparel company owns the apparel.

University owns its brand.

S-A owns their brand.

Apparel company must pay university and/or s-a for right to use their brand on the company’s apparel.

Before, a student-athlete signed away all rights to their name, image and likeness when they signed their NLI or accepted their scholarships each year thereafter. In other words, they could not receive their scholarship, partial or full, until they relinquished all rights to the NIL. Then the university took that NIL and profited from it, with only a non-negotiable return (education). It was un-American (or not?). And changing it was LONG overdue.
Btw, JJ specifically targeted FlameFans for “unlawfully” (his term) using the University’s athletic nickname. Hence the change to ASOR. It was spiteful and small-minded, but par for the course with JJ. So who knows if your example would get through nowadays or not. I suspect as long as JP sits on his perch, likely not.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]