If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 7th, 2021, 9:18 am The level of competition is part of it of course, but it is nice to see.
Yeah, gotta stop scheduling scrubs like Missouri :lol:

I know we would have liked to play better in our losses, but those 3 teams are a combined 22-4 so far, no ULMs in that bunch.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Compared to the teams we lost to, Missouri could be considered scrubs :lol:

The losses we have aren't nearly as bad as they appeared and not we are beating teams we are clearly better than and by a lot. RM ball is fun when clicking on all cylinders.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
When the MO game was scheduled, who knew they would be as bad as they are? Can’t be helped.

Abii may be second-most talented, but he isn’t second best. There is a difference. Tremendous upside, but POTENTIAL is a very dangerous word.

If Abii doesn’t earn more minutes this season, anyone concerned he transfers? I’m surprised this hasn’t been raised yet given his ratio of talent:mpg.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: December 6th, 2021, 10:34 pm Don’t forget Peebles, 18 pts in the first half tonight.
I have noticed in past several seasons, when a LU players puts up big numbers in first half, he barely scores in second half. Granted minutes may be reduced due to a blowout, but---------------
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 7th, 2021, 11:14 am When the MO game was scheduled, who knew they would be as bad as they are? Can’t be helped.

Abii may be second-most talented, but he isn’t second best. There is a difference. Tremendous upside, but POTENTIAL is a very dangerous word.

If Abii doesn’t earn more minutes this season, anyone concerned he transfers? I’m surprised this hasn’t been raised yet given his ratio of talent:mpg.
I believe it's been mentioned, or at least hinted at.

The minutes he got last night would seem to indicate that Ritchie now has some dregree of confidence in his defense and is not afraid to play him. On the other hand, I hate to play "stat geek" again, but Abii's +- last night was only 4 in 19 minutes (only Jackson was worse), despite the offensive numbers he put up.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Seems like his minutes have grown over the season so far. I wouldn’t read much into last night’s +/- when most of his minutes came with the C team in the 2nd half.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 7th, 2021, 11:14 am When the MO game was scheduled, who knew they would be as bad as they are? Can’t be helped.
For sure. I wasn't trying to be critical of scheduling them. I was glad we were able to do it and I am glad we could win. It isn't our fault they are awful.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts

I think I brought it up last year. His fall from Grace was dramatic. It obviously is not a talent issue
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: December 7th, 2021, 11:47 am

The minutes he got last night would seem to indicate that Ritchie now has some dregree of confidence in his defense and is not afraid to play him. On the other hand, I hate to play "stat geek" again, but Abii's +- last night was only 4 in 19 minutes (only Jackson was worse), despite the offensive numbers he put up.
Individual +/- is a flawed metric. Player combo, or even moreso full lineup +/- is much more effective.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 7th, 2021, 1:12 pm

I think I brought it up last year. His fall from Grace was dramatic. It obviously is not a talent issue
And his minutes last night came in garbage time, it sounds like. (I didn’t watch.) So I’m not ready to say much has changed at all in terms of his status with RMK.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Not trying to be overly argumentative, but it was not all "garbage time" He basically played half the game, including several minutes in the first half. Again, this is indicative that Ritchie is starting to trust him, which is good. Looking at the +- another way.

19 minutes with Abii on the floor we were +4
21 without him we were +32
JK37 liked this
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts

Unfortunately, +- doesn't factor in who one is on the floor with. Many of Abii's minutes were with other bench players. Having actually watched the game, Abii was clearly more coordinated, athletic, and adept at handling the ball than Preston. Hopefully, he's made his way out of the dog house.
JK37 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LU Grad 11 wrote: December 7th, 2021, 2:05 pm

Unfortunately, +- doesn't factor in who one is on the floor with. Many of Abii's minutes were with other bench players. Having actually watched the game, Abii was clearly more coordinated, athletic, and adept at handling the ball than Preston. Hopefully, he's made his way out of the dog house.

Dale Layer is no longer our coach. Ritchie doesn't have a dog house. He just insists you meet a standard on defense if you want to play.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]