Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
It appears that he and the current Southern Miss coach have a history together; he served as his offensive coordinator at another school previously. This might just be a win-win; he gets to reunite with a former friend and colleague, and we get to bring in someone new to see if they can figure out what ails the offensive line. Coach Freeze may already have someone in mind!
Liberty22, ballcoach15 liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I don't know the spiritual condition of Matt McCutchan of ETSU but if he is a Christian then I say go after him hard. He is a young up and coming offensive line coach who is excelling at his craft. He has a good background of P-5 experience too as he was FSU's offensive quality control coach from 2013-2017. He played offensive line at Kentucky and was a grad assistant there as well. ETSU has improved significantly on the offensive line since his arrival in 2018.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
I’ve seen a lot of Southern Miss fans on social media happy about the hire and I’m sure he’s going to be a great OC. Little do they know how happy Liberty fans are as well! 8)
By Ill flame
I don't see this as anything other than a win-win for everyone involved. He will surely be better than their prior OC (they didn't have one for some reason) and we can hopefully bring in a new coach that can get this o line back on track. It can be frustrating sometimes but having assistants move on to bigger and better things means the program is doing something right so I'm happy for the guy.
Dalegarz1, phoenix liked this
By Ill flame

This guy apparently got fired from Louisville after getting a DUI. I understand he has a solid resume but do we really have to keep hiring guys with questionable pasts?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If my memory is correct, all of our hires have been good. We probably have the best athletic staff in the nation. All sports included.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 28th, 2021, 8:12 pm

This guy apparently got fired from Louisville after getting a DUI. I understand he has a solid resume but do we really have to keep hiring guys with questionable pasts?
Totally understand where you are coming from. But this is “Big Boy” football. And where Liberty is at in the pecking order (they ain’t stealing Oklahoma’s O line coach) this is something that’s going to be a fact of life
So in that spirit I say LU should embrace it. Don’t become Last Chance U, but instead become Reclamation U. Screw up on the road to success in your playing / professional career? Have a sincere honest desire to make amends and be better? Than LU is the place for you. Just look at the HFBC and AD. With THAT mentality LU has a shot to become and stay relevant in the Football world
rtb72, tyndal23, ballcoach15 and 1 others liked this
By Ill flame
Purple Haize wrote: December 28th, 2021, 10:17 pm
Ill flame wrote: December 28th, 2021, 8:12 pm

Totally understand where you are coming from. But this is “Big Boy” football. And where Liberty is at in the pecking order (they ain’t stealing Oklahoma’s O line coach) this is something that’s going to be a fact of life
So in that spirit I say LU should embrace it. Don’t become Last Chance U, but instead become Reclamation U. Screw up on the road to success in your playing / professional career? Have a sincere honest desire to make amends and be better? Than LU is the place for you. Just look at the HFBC and AD. With THAT mentality LU has a shot to become and stay relevant in the Football world
I'm not asking to steal Oklahomas OL coach but it feels like we are taking on baggage when we don't need to. I would rather take a risk on an up and coming lower division coach with something to prove. With our resources do we really need to be reclamation U? I'm all for giving guys second chances but imo those guys need to be head and shoulders above the alternatives like hugh freeze was. Maybe this guy is way better, he was one of the founding fathers of the pistol offense which we are known to run but he was not highly thought of at Louisville.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I was a fan of taking young up and coming guys. Still kinda am. But embracing this kind of hire and establishing a good reputation as Rehab U is a great strategy. At this level give me a guy whose proven he can get it done and maybe had a hiccup or two but is getting right over an unknown quantity. It’s completely on brand and has a better chance at success
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I agree to an extent. There has to be solid accountability in place with a zero-tolerance policy on any craziness. I have no idea if those things are in place or not but if they are then I'm fine with it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 29th, 2021, 9:08 am I agree to an extent. There has to be solid accountability in place with a zero-tolerance policy on any craziness. I have no idea if those things are in place or not but if they are then I'm fine with it.
That’s a given
By DanvilleDrew
thepostman wrote:One would think that but LU still has Prevo running the show so nothing is a given with Liberty.
As an alum who's been out of touch since Prevo took over, what's the reasoning for this comment? Just genuinely asking.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with it. My comment was in regards to accountability being in place. Not exactly Prevo's strength.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 28th, 2021, 10:01 pm If my memory is correct, all of our hires have been good. We probably have the best athletic staff in the nation. All sports included.
All Jr hires. 🤔 :lol:
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
If HF likes him, that is good enough for me. I haven't done any research, but if the guy's biggest problem is a DUI, I would ask; how many times did you deserve one and just didn't get caught? It is certainly not smart, but it does happen. Now, if he had any sexual problems, that would be a whole different ball of wax.
tyndal23, LUOrange liked this
By michaeleyou
Registration Days Posts
Do we know what brought on the charge of DUI ? I know it is most often alcohol related, but it could have been a medication.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 29th, 2021, 7:22 pm If HF likes him, that is good enough for me. I haven't done any research, but if the guy's biggest problem is a DUI, I would ask; how many times did you deserve one and just didn't get caught? It is certainly not smart, but it does happen. Now, if he had any sexual problems, that would be a whole different ball of wax.
I get what you're saying but DUI is pretty serious. By doing so people can be killed. I hope he got help because DUIs are often a red flag for other things going on in one's life. Especially a grown man.

I think we can trust HF here but there is no need to gloss over driving drunk.
ballcoach15, flameshaw liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]