If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The committee has spoken:

#1 Alabama vs #4 Cincinnati
#2 Michigan vs #3 Georgia

It's good that Ohio State, Oklahoma or Notre Dame are not there this season.
By Ill flame
Crazy how Georgia has one of the weakest P5 schedules and it wasn't even a debate if they would get in despite getting blown out by the only top 10 team they played.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 5th, 2021, 2:48 pm The committee has spoken:

#1 Alabama vs #4 Cincinnati
#2 Michigan vs #3 Georgia

It's good that Ohio State, Oklahoma or Notre Dame are not there this season.
Still think they are corrupt?
By Ill flame
Notre dame also had a terrible schedule although it was better than Georgia's prior to the Alabama game so I wouldn't go with them. I would've given the nod to the 2 loss conference champion over a 1 loss school that already proved they aren't the best team in their conference. Of course I lean more towards it should be the 4 most deserving teams rather than the 4 best.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 5th, 2021, 8:38 pm After a quick review of all bowl games, i believe the Ole Miss vs Baylor is the best bowl game.
That's a good one, but so is Marshall vs. Louisiana in New Orleans.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
That is a good matchup.

In 2011 i was in New Orleans for a conference and the Ragin Cajuns were staying in same hotel as I. They had an entire floor of the hotel
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: December 5th, 2021, 9:57 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 5th, 2021, 8:38 pm After a quick review of all bowl games, i believe the Ole Miss vs Baylor is the best bowl game.
That's a good one, but so is Marshall vs. Louisiana in New Orleans.
I hate to be a party-pooper Cider, but I strongly suspect you will be disappointed with the outcome of that one. Marshall/Liberty would have been a great matchup.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 5th, 2021, 7:47 pm Of course I lean more towards it should be the 4 most deserving teams rather than the 4 best.
That is fine, but those aren't the rules. There was "no consideration given" because there was "nobody else." Baylor better than Georgia? Give me a break.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: December 6th, 2021, 8:24 am
I hate to be a party-pooper Cider, but I strongly suspect you will be disappointed with the outcome of that one.
Olldflame, I've watched enough Louisiana football this year to know that they are very good team! I'm just happy for the Herd fans who can spend a weekend in New Orleans and blame it on football. 8)
Sly Fox, Purple Haize liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: December 6th, 2021, 11:56 am
Ill flame wrote: December 5th, 2021, 7:47 pm Of course I lean more towards it should be the 4 most deserving teams rather than the 4 best.
That is fine, but those aren't the rules. There was "no consideration given" because there was "nobody else." Baylor better than Georgia? Give me a break.
Well, Texas A&M is better than Alabama so there's that. :lol:
By Ill flame
alabama24 wrote: December 6th, 2021, 11:56 am
There's a very good chance Alabama would destroy Baylor but we already know Georgia will just get blown out again. Let's keep doing rematches that end in blowouts and wonder why the cfp TV ratings keep going down.
ballcoach15 liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 6th, 2021, 1:47 pm
There's a very good chance Alabama would destroy Baylor but we already know Georgia will just get blown out again. Let's keep doing rematches that end in blowouts and wonder why the cfp TV ratings keep going down.
"We don't know" that Georgia will get blown out again. For that matter, BAMA could lose to any of the other three teams in the playoffs.

I am a proponent of the philosophy that the most important thing should be the regular season. The playoffs diminish the regular season... some of the expansion ideas more than others.

I don't think there is anything that needs to be "fixed." However, if I were going to "fix" college football, I would move football out of conferences altogether and move to a relegation system.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
People Gripe about the G5 teams not having a chance. Most of the time, they don't deserve it. Cincinnati, however, clearly does. They look like they would be able to hang with any team in the B12, Pac12, ACC... and no teams from those conferences were deserving this year.

In a relegation system, teams like Cincinnati would have a chance to move up (just as they are doing), while teams such as Duke, Kansas, Indiana, Arizona, and Vandy can be shown the door.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I was talking with a longtime college football fan last night. He told me, "college football was ruined when they went to conference championship games". He does have somewhat of a point. A team can go undefeated during regular season and then lose conference championship game, and their chances for playoffs are usually shot. There have been exceptions.
In Big 10 this year, Iowa won their division, played in conference championship game and lost. Ohio State who didn't win division gets Rose Bowl berth.
Also sometimes conference championship games result in rematch from regular season, which isn't good, in my opinion.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: December 6th, 2021, 3:17 pm People Gripe about the G5 teams not having a chance. Most of the time, they don't deserve it. Cincinnati, however, clearly does. They look like they would be able to hang with any team in the B12, Pac12, ACC... and no teams from those conferences were deserving this year.

In a relegation system, teams like Cincinnati would have a chance to move up (just as they are doing), while teams such as Duke, Kansas, Indiana, Arizona, and Vandy can be shown the door.
I’m a HUGE relegation fan for NCAA football and MLB
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't fully understand "relegation", but it would be hard to kick a school out of one conference into another, no matter how bad (or good) they may be. As we have seen lately, conferences are very nit picky with who they invite. i.e. Big 12, AAC and Sun Belt.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Let me explain: First of all, football would be removed from conferences (as we now know them) altogether. Second, you would have “leagues” or “divisions” which would break down teams to things like how well they perform. Teams who consistently do well in lower groups have the opportunity to move up. Teams that continually do poorly would move down.

As for your distaste for conference championships (which our beloved SEC pioneered!), it is kind of like a playoff.

What I don’t want to see happen is a system where teams just have to do “well enough” to get into the playoffs. They should be deserving teams. Record is one indicator, but not the only one. Relegation and reworking of the entire system into different levels would help eliminate some of the subjectivity there. For example: if each of the P5 conferences had a 13-0 champion, would Cincinnati deserve a shot in a 4 team playoff? Nope. With relegation, however, the soils of Cincinnatis season last year would have been a bump up to the big dogs. The highest levels of college football should not have more than about 48 teams. (I haven’t fully thought about that number, but it’s more likely to go down than up).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: December 6th, 2021, 9:36 pm Let me explain: First of all, football would be removed from conferences (as we now know them) altogether. Second, you would have “leagues” or “divisions” which would break down teams to things like how well they perform. Teams who consistently do well in lower groups have the opportunity to move up. Teams that continually do poorly would move down.

As for your distaste for conference championships (which our beloved SEC pioneered!), it is kind of like a playoff.

What I don’t want to see happen is a system where teams just have to do “well enough” to get into the playoffs. They should be deserving teams. Record is one indicator, but not the only one. Relegation and reworking of the entire system into different levels would help eliminate some of the subjectivity there. For example: if each of the P5 conferences had a 13-0 champion, would Cincinnati deserve a shot in a 4 team playoff? Nope. With relegation, however, the soils of Cincinnatis season last year would have been a bump up to the big dogs. The highest levels of college football should not have more than about 48 teams. (I haven’t fully thought about that number, but it’s more likely to go down than up).
You could still kinda sorta do Conferences. The MAC would be the relegated league of The B1G. The Mountain West for the PAC 12. Sun Belt for ACC. CUSA for Big 12 and AAC for SEC type thing. Still give you Regional rivalries etc.
LU 57 liked this
By Ill flame
Relegation only works on paper. Lets assume that FBS goes to the England format of relegation with 7 leagues of 20 teams (More FCS schools would need to be added). If you promote/relegate the top/bottom 3 teams in each division it would give a fake sense of parity while arguably making it worse. Just look at parity in the premier league... it doesn't exist. They have the same handful of teams that finish at or near the top every single year and soccer tends to have more upsets than football. Meanwhile the 3 teams that get promoted to the premier league every year have a more than 50% chance of being relegated by the end of year 2. FBS in this format would be no different. People point at Leicester City as the beacon of hope for relegation but how are they any different than Cincinnati this year? Even Michigan started the season outside of the top 25 (they wouldn't have even been in the top league). The blue bloods will stay on top and collect huge "Premier league" tv money which will keep them from being relegated while borderline teams will get promoted and be overwhelmed by the superior recruits in the top league (recruits will be much less spread out than it currently is) and be relegated again. Right now we have 5 conferences with approximately 65 teams that earn around the same amount of tv money which means a team like Arkansas might be at a slight disadvantage over a team like LSU but it isn't insurmountable. The drop off in tv money/ resources from one tier to the next would be massive.

When we go to an expanded playoff with conference champions getting autobids I believe it would break this endless loop that the 4 team CFP created, Blue blood makes playoffs which leads to better recruiting which leads to more playoff appearances until the same 5 teams have a monopoly on all blue-chip athletes. If Utah, Baylor, and pittsburgh also made the CFP I guarantee more high end recruits would be willing to join them knowing they have a realistic path to a playoff in the future.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 6th, 2021, 11:08 pm
You could still kinda sorta do Conferences. The MAC would be the relegated league of The B1G. The Mountain West for the PAC 12. Sun Belt for ACC. CUSA for Big 12 and AAC for SEC type thing. Still give you Regional rivalries etc.
I am not saying that there wouldn't be conferences. I am saying that it wouldn't be the conferences we have now. The conferences could stay put, just remove football.

Consider it this way: There is no sport in college athletics like the beast of football. A small school can be among the best in any sport except football. Furthermore, the continued rising costs of football are not sustainable for most schools, so it would be best to put them in a position where they don't need to try and compete. Only a handful of teams make money on football. Most teams lose money on football. And lose a lot of money on football.
Purple Haize liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]